I think that is what sort of killed RIM for push email. The bulk of consumers have moved to services like Hotmail, Gmail, and Yahoo!

Yes. That is what I have been thinking lately. Hence you can see a market split.

a) Businesses. Many of which still run in house servers for various reasons. Still like BlackBerry because push works with all that. Tied to legacy.

b) Consumers. No one I know uses their ISP's mail service any more. Well almost no one. Gmail, etc have taken over. So for this group Android/iOS are fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    iN8ter likes this.
    01-15-12 02:12 PM
    Blackberry is the best for business and government email for security and push email. Other phones do push email but have more limitations with it, especially for personal use. It is my experience though that you still want to actually own a computer.

I do it like this, on my phone I select to save emails I want to keep and then delete them. They remain on the phone, just hidden and can be searched for later. Once a week or so I go on my email account online and label and file the emails I need to save. That sytem works for me, I am actually looking forward to the native email on the playbook, I suspect it may make filing that stuff easier.
    01-15-12 06:57 PM
    I am able to label and archive directly from the handheld. Makes life easier. I like complete control.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-15-12 10:50 PM
    I agree. And I have an Android. The other day I got an email three hours late. I've also had a few other issues. Really want a 9930. But the idiots at RIM don't seem like they care about fixing the bricking issue!!!
    update your firmware unoffically ..
    01-16-12 03:19 AM
    To tell the OP to go and research first regarding the limitations of the BB's email being limited to 3Mbs is absurd. It's the 21st Century. Why limit to 3Mbs? that's just dumb. I had no idea of this and I would not expect myself to research how many megs I can get on my "new" device. That's BS on RIM's part.

I love IMAP and I had no idea that the BB does not sync my folders. What's the purpose of even supporting it???
    01-16-12 01:12 PM
    Yes. That is what I have been thinking lately. Hence you can see a market split.

a) Businesses. Many of which still run in house servers for various reasons. Still like BlackBerry because push works with all that. Tied to legacy.

b) Consumers. No one I know uses their ISP's mail service any more. Well almost no one. Gmail, etc have taken over. So for this group Android/iOS are fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Agree.

Another issue with RIM PUSH is that it's tied to RIM. So, consumers make a choice between an email service that is pushed on everything, or an email service that only gets pushed on RIM devices. Most simply choose one that gets pushed on everything.

On the flip side, it becomes a huge deficiency for them because they don't (currently) support activesync, so users who are used to getting their email/calendar/contacts/etc. pushed to their device have to make sacrifices most aren't willing to make just to use a blackberry (or shell out $40+ for an app to do it, which is laughable).
    01-16-12 01:20 PM
    Also, I've never gotten an email 3 hours late. If you're on CDMA and talk on the phone a lot, though, that can explain some things.

Get a carrier that supports simultaneous voice and data, with good data coverage, and decent data speeds.

Never seen a Gmail come that late to an Android phone. Lol. Not sure what else to say.
    01-16-12 01:21 PM
    To tell the OP to go and research first regarding the limitations of the BB's email being limited to 3Mbs is absurd. It's the 21st Century. Why limit to 3Mbs? that's just dumb. I had no idea of this and I would not expect myself to research how many megs I can get on my "new" device. That's BS on RIM's part.

I love IMAP and I had no idea that the BB does not sync my folders. What's the purpose of even supporting it???
    I think the limit is 8MB now or something, which is still rather low as even corporate PDF documents can weigh in more than 8MB, easily.

BBs are built for short, all-text emails. The fast PUSH basically made the email function somewhat like a messaging service, before they had things like Blackberry Messenger and when Carriers were still using Encoded MMS for Instant Messages (which made them extremely expensive).

That's why it took them so long to get a decent HTML email experience. Up until BB6, it was painful. It is at least usable, now.
    01-16-12 01:23 PM
    Like everyone has an exchange server or wants to pay for it?
    You don't need an exchange server for gmail, the gmail system itself uses the exchange activesync protocols, so if your device supports exchange you can add your gmail as an exchange account and get push email, calendar and contact syncing for free. Simple to set up, just use m.google.com as the exchange server address. It works perfectly, better than RIMs BIS implementation and far faster.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    01-16-12 01:26 PM
    You don't need an exchange server for gmail, the gmail system itself uses the exchange activesync protocols, so if your device supports exchange you can add your gmail as an exchange account and get push email, calendar and contact syncing for free. Simple to set up, just use m.google.com as the exchange server address. It works perfectly, better than RIMs BIS implementation and far faster.

I find Gmail on BB more then acceptable, however, I try not to use it much as you soon get bombarded with ads on every page you go, even here on Crackberry, ads related to key words in your emails.

Convenience is nice but privacy is even better. My contacts list and calendar is taken care of by Protect now and since my phone is always with me I don't need them synced, just backed up.

I have my own hosted email that works best on a blackberry, instant push, 7 seconds every time.

OTA sync is a waste in my opinion, waste of data and battery.
    01-16-12 01:55 PM
    I think the limit is 8MB now or something, which is still rather low as even corporate PDF documents can weigh in more than 8MB, easily.

BBs are built for short, all-text emails. The fast PUSH basically made the email function somewhat like a messaging service, before they had things like Blackberry Messenger and when Carriers were still using Encoded MMS for Instant Messages (which made them extremely expensive).

That's why it took them so long to get a decent HTML email experience. Up until BB6, it was painful. It is at least usable, now.
    I can't imagine I would ever try to read an 8mb pdf file on any mobile phone, it's never a good idea.

And that's exactly what I expect from my Blackberry, even emails are instant messages, I sent a video to my wife's BB and we ended up having an IM like conversation trough Gmail about the video. Many times my emails look like this email sent by contact 10:00, received by my BB 10:00, my reply sent 10:00

I find HTML emails annoying, most are newsletters or spam and the others are simply a waste since they only contain a bit of text and a html signature/image at the bottom.
    01-16-12 02:01 PM
    Also, I've never gotten an email 3 hours late. If you're on CDMA and talk on the phone a lot, though, that can explain some things.

Get a carrier that supports simultaneous voice and data, with good data coverage, and decent data speeds.

Never seen a Gmail come that late to an Android phone. Lol. Not sure what else to say.
    I have both BB and Android and they both arrive within about 15 seconds at most of each other. Sometimes BB wins sometimes Android wins.
    01-16-12 02:07 PM
    I have both BB and Android and they both arrive within about 15 seconds at most of each other. Sometimes BB wins sometimes Android wins.
    I have friends with both adroid gmail and iphone mobile me and they both report ocasional long delays, some mobile me emails never get trough at all.

Edit- my mobile me mate is in a pickle lol, he can't move to icloud as he would have to upgrade his macbook's OS first and since he has some dodgy software versions of photoshop and others he would loose them all. And he used to pay for mobile me, been using it since the begining.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-16-12 at 02:32 PM.
    01-16-12 02:28 PM
    I have friends with both adroid gmail and iphone mobile me and they both report ocasional long delays, some mobile me emails never get trough at all.
    That's awful! Like a 3 day NOC outage
    01-16-12 02:29 PM
    I am able to label and archive directly from the handheld. Makes life easier. I like complete control.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    That's the thing with email; everyone has their way of handling it. I do not like "labels" in Gmail. I use Thunderbird w/IMAP and auto filter all the important stuff into local folders and back it up. I delete most all the rest. And I keep no emails on my phone. Read and delete, mostly.
    01-16-12 02:30 PM
    That's awful! Like a 3 day NOC outage
    Logicmail to the rescue at least you know when there's a problem, emails you don't get you don't know about
    01-16-12 02:34 PM
    Logicmail to the rescue at least you know when there's a problem, emails you don't get you don't know about
    I'm going to be a pedantic dik and use one of the common blackberry comebacks. I shouldn't need a 3rd party app for that.

01-16-12 02:42 PM
    I'm going to be a pedantic dik and use one of the common blackberry comebacks. I shouldn't need a 3rd party app for that.

It's my back up, I run a (small) business, you always need a backup.
    01-16-12 02:53 PM
    It's my back up, I run a (small) business, you always need a backup.
    I know. I was just messing. Even the great NOC outage of 2011 didn't affect my email here in the USA. My bb email was always pretty reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    01-16-12 03:15 PM
    I'm not too sure about the attachment size issue all being RIMs deal. I think it is somewhat related to what the carrier has set up. For example, I have been able to send attachments somewhere in the range of 5-6mb without any issues.

As far as no-frills, fast push email, that does what you want it to, I agree that BB is the best, unless my brother just doesn't know how to run his Android.

And if we're talking preferring one over the other because of arriving "a second or two sooner" I though this was email, thats what IM is for. And BBM is going to blow everyone else away anyways.

I do agree that Androids email has some cool features that should be implemented in the BB10 though.
    01-16-12 03:19 PM
    Well BB email just saved my b**t in a way. My mother is on my plan and is on a cruise. She has a Curve (CDMA on Verizon). I should have known better and thought of this, but to make a long story short, she's been doing international data roaming. I got a notice just today from VZW. 48 hours after she started on the ship.

The amazing thing to me is she gets a lot of emails and I looked at her data use so far and it is very low. I called and added (retroactively) 11MB international data for this month so she can send and get her emails. I know with a BlackBerry and data compression, that a lot of emails.

So if I wanted to I could even filter her emails at her BIS account right? I could block attachments and even only allow through emails from certain contacts I suppose, right?
    01-16-12 03:31 PM
    Well BB email just saved my b**t in a way. My mother is on my plan and is on a cruise. She has a Curve (CDMA on Verizon). I should have known better and thought of this, but to make a long story short, she's been doing international data roaming. I got a notice just today from VZW. 48 hours after she started on the ship.

The amazing thing to me is she gets a lot of emails and I looked at her data use so far and it is very low. I called and added (retroactively) 11MB international data for this month so she can send and get her emails. I know with a BlackBerry and data compression, that a lot of emails.

So if I wanted to I could even filter her emails at her BIS account right? I could block attachments and even only allow through emails from certain contacts I suppose, right?
    I don't know if you could block attachments but they don't automatically get downloaded anyway, and you can set a filter to send headers only.
    01-16-12 03:39 PM
    I know. I was just messing. Even the great NOC outage of 2011 didn't affect my email here in the USA. My bb email was always pretty reliable.
    It didn't hurt about 80% of BB users, and for many of those it did hit the impact was marginal. Strange that it is usually the non-affected US based hater-trolls who keep raising it as a significant issue...
    01-16-12 03:43 PM
    That's the thing with email; everyone has their way of handling it. I do not like "labels" in Gmail. I use Thunderbird w/IMAP and auto filter all the important stuff into local folders and back it up. I delete most all the rest. And I keep no emails on my phone. Read and delete, mostly.
    I'm with you there. I hate during email on my phone.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-16-12 09:08 PM
    Some people are confused with configuration over capability. The good thing about bb email is that by default it tries to keep data usage efficient and turn off some of the advanced features. You can download a 100MB email file but just imagine the cost of download and battery use.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-16-12 09:30 PM
126 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD