Back in February of 2011 I flew to Abu Dhabi, New York, Vegas and Dubai.

I spent a total of 10 days abroad. I had a BB Storm 9500 at the time.
    I just roamed using BBM, facebook, mail etc. I got a 30€ bill for data roaming.

Cousin that was with me with his Iphone 3Gs paid 70€ for data roaming. But you have to remember that my storm doesnt have wifi and his 3gs does. So whenever he had the opportunity to use wifi he did (starbucks, hotel, ...). I just didn't care and used the little sucker like I do when I'm at home.
    Last edited by Delil; 01-20-12 at 08:44 AM. Reason: typo's
    01-20-12 08:43 AM
    I roam all over and my costs are always about a quarter of what my friends on other devices incur. I use gmaps, bbm, email, bloomberg ect while traveling. I normally wont use BBM music unless i have song saved on the device though.
    01-20-12 10:03 AM
    I believe that bis should only apply for "push." "Push" is nice but it should not be a requirement.

consumers wanting data but without the bis premium should be able to browse the web, use apps, or chat without the need to pay for this premium.

In korea (sk telecom) having to pay extra for bis has been a deal breakers for the potential berry users. This is actually good separating bis service from data plan as there are some very useful apps that don't require bis (for example kakaotalk, heck this particular app does not require a data plan as long as there's wifi around).

Rim needs to rethinks its strategy on bis.
    01-20-12 10:13 AM
    I believe that bis should only apply for "push." "Push" is nice but it should not be a requirement.

consumers wanting data but without the bis premium should be able to browse the web, use apps, or chat without the need to pay for this premium.

In korea (sk telecom) having to pay extra for bis has been a deal breakers for the potential berry users. This is actually good separating bis service from data plan as there are some very useful apps that don't require bis (for example kakaotalk, heck this particular app does not require a data plan as long as there's wifi around).

Rim needs to rethinks its strategy on bis.
    Most of the world doesn't pay extra for BIS, all data plans cost the same no matter if you have an android or iphone.
    01-20-12 10:18 AM
    You are a little off on the FREE part.
    In India the BIS costs me an additional $10 on my basic plan. For this I get push notifications for all apps, unlimited data usage on device an 2GB Tethered data per month.

If I had an Android or iPhone I would have to pay the same $10 (2G) GPRS pack and would not get the 2GB tethering plan.

I don't know why the carriers give 2GB tethering for $10 BIS, maybe because BB compression cost them less. And this after they share revenue with RIM.
    Most of the world doesn't pay extra for BIS, all data plans cost the same no matter if you have an android or iphone.
    Several carriers in the US charge extra for a BB data plan. Verizon charges $15 / month more for it.

My data plan is unlimited world wide, and most corporate accounts I am familiar with are unlimited anywhere. Therefore, the BB data compression saves me nothing. I got sick of the truncated emails, etc and wanted rid of the plan frankly. To each his own. Selling it as a "major" advantage is only viable to the group the has data plan limits and/or travels internationally/roaming. My company has saved a lot of money paying for $30 data plans versus $45 BB data plans.

THIS!!!
    All my cousins that come from America and who have iPhones, basically have a brick in their hands. They keep begging for some spare phone we might have lying around to pop in a local SIM. They don't dare to bring the iPhone out of Airplane Mode because they know they would be screwed on data charges.

On my BB, I simply swap SIM cards wherever I go and my mails keep coming. Even if i were to roam Internationally with my country's SIM card, I don't get a $1000 bill when I get back.
    This is due to the phone, not because it is a BB. Other unlocked phones, whether Droids or whatever, work fine with other SIM's. This is not a BB advantage but instead an unlocked phone advantage.
    01-20-12 11:31 AM
    Several carriers in the US charge extra for a BB data plan. Verizon charges $15 / month more for it.

My data plan is unlimited world wide, and most corporate accounts I am familiar with are unlimited anywhere. Therefore, the BB data compression saves me nothing. I got sick of the truncated emails, etc and wanted rid of the plan frankly. To each his own. Selling it as a "major" advantage is only viable to the group the has data plan limits and/or travels internationally/roaming. My company has saved a lot of money paying for $30 data plans versus $45 BB data plans.

This is due to the phone, not because it is a BB. Other unlocked phones, whether Droids or whatever, work fine with other SIM's. This is not a BB advantage but instead an unlocked phone advantage.
    You get unlimited worldwide data for $30 a month? Lol, I call bull. Anyway, how long ago was that? Paying extra for BB data plan is a thing of the past.
    01-20-12 12:09 PM

That $15/month is for BES data correct? not BIS data? BIS data plans are the same price as non BIS dataplans. it is BES that costs more as company's like to hose corporations when ever they can it seems.

IF a company NEEDS BES (Device control is of the utmost importance) then paying the extra doesn't phase them. if they don't they go to BIS phones
    01-20-12 01:36 PM

Yes but my cousins are not about to buy a $700 unlocked iPhone. Makes me think we in India spend more..We like our unlocked phones and pay the full price for them. A Curve in India costs $400 and we pay it. Talk about third world nations eh.....we might be third world but we are not cheap.
    01-20-12 01:37 PM
    You get unlimited worldwide data for $30 a month? Lol, I call bull. Anyway, how long ago was that? Paying extra for BB data plan is a thing of the past.
    We do pay more. I just checked our business accounts (hundreds of phones). It is actually $44.99 for Droids and iPhones and $64.99 for BB's on our account. We did have about 50% of our Droids for $30, but that was a VZW mistake in our account according to our rep.

Either way, my main point is if your plan is unlimited, you don't care about the compression except in slow areas. That applies to me and many I know. Not all, but me.
    Last edited by dbw1000; 01-20-12 at 01:46 PM.
    01-20-12 01:40 PM
    Well I know I'm different than everybody else in the whole world. It really does amaze me. The OP's gripes is the very reason why I think blackberrys are best for email.
    Look guys my blackberry is my office in side of my hand and will fit into my pocket. That is compact. When I get an email about a farm having a cattle sale and has the cattle's background attached I might not really have time to look thru it. I liike the email being truncated so I know the jest of it. If I happen to have time I can log into my email and go over them.
    I work out in the field. I want to stay in touch with everything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-12 08:43 PM
    Well I know I'm different than everybody else in the whole world. It really does amaze me. The OP's gripes is the very reason why I think blackberrys are best for email.
    Look guys my blackberry is my office in side of my hand and will fit into my pocket. That is compact. When I get an email about a farm having a cattle sale and has the cattle's background attached I might not really have time to look thru it. I liike the email being truncated so I know the jest of it. If I happen to have time I can log into my email and go over them.
    I work out in the field. I want to stay in touch with everything.

I must be confused: An email Being truncated doesn't give you compete acess; seem other phones may allow you to do more than "look though it." How does that help you?
    01-20-12 09:28 PM
    We do pay more. I just checked our business accounts (hundreds of phones). It is actually $44.99 for Droids and iPhones and $64.99 for BB's on our account. We did have about 50% of our Droids for $30, but that was a VZW mistake in our account according to our rep.

Either way, my main point is if your plan is unlimited, you don't care about the compression except in slow areas. That applies to me and many I know. Not all, but me.
    That's your business account, they probably charge you for BES. Have a look at consumer data plans.
    01-21-12 02:35 AM
    I must be confused: An email Being truncated doesn't give you compete acess; seem other phones may allow you to do more than "look though it." How does that help you?
    Because probably just like me he doesn't want to do everything on the phone, the attachement limit is now 8mb, I can't imagine going trough an 8mb document on my phone, I just need to know about it and then go do my work on my laptop.

I don't think any boss or client will ever expect you to read such a document on the phone.
    01-21-12 03:21 AM
    Because probably just like me he doesn't want to do everything on the phone, the attachement limit is now 8mb, I can't imagine going trough an 8mb document on my phone, I just need to know about it and then go do my work on my laptop.

I don't think any boss or client will ever expect you to read such a document on the phone.
    Somehow, you have made email truncation a benefit...LOL.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-21-12 08:08 AM
    Just what belfastdispatcher said (thank you btw). In my cattle example, if you knew what backgrounding is you would understand alittle more. Its information logged from the time ancalf is born until ??. There's a lot of scoring going on as far as body condiction, milk production, birth weight, weined weight ect. For 1 animal this data isn't much. More a whole sale its over whelming.
    As I've said I don't need my blackberry sitting at my desk in front of my pc. So out in the field keeping in touch with what's going on and that's it. I can look over the attachments when I have more time. If I have time right then its NO problem logging into my email account from my blackberry and looking thru the attachments.
    It not like the blackberry can't handle the attachments or the size of the email. All of it just isn't being sent.
    I guess my question is why wouldn't be helpful. Rbe blackberry is a very small to scale of an office. Most offices being larger than 12'x12' in size. Inside a office you usually have a pc,(file system) which is prolly has been the heart of office for some time now. Telephone(s), and fax machines take care of the commucations short of emails again fall on the pc. Of course I do understand that the pc can take place the phone and fax.
    That whole office suite is crammed into this small phone. Just having the email sent to my phone is helpful in it self. What could be the case is just a notice could be sent and you have to go check it. Having the email at my phone is just so great. I don't have time in the field to process all that data.
    What's helpful to me just might not get the job done for you.

01-21-12 08:22 AM
    Somehow, you have made email truncation a benefit...LOL.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    to some it is,

I greatly wish RIM would make email truncation controllable with a User Control panel on the Carrier BIS,

Users could choose to leave truncation set at default levels, or users could remove it, or reduce it, when I travel I am VERY thankful for truncation, and would actually like to turn it down to 2MB when I am on vacation,
    Last edited by deRusett; 01-21-12 at 09:47 AM.
    01-21-12 09:24 AM

That's BES not BIS. We were discussing consumer plans.
    01-21-12 09:38 AM
    I still am dealing with truncated email and I hate it! Don't tell me to just upgrade either. You all know if I upgrade from a 9650 to 9330 I am losing battery life. So it would be a trade off. One that I'm not willing to make right now. Not to mention the possible nuking.

Email is quick on the BB but it's not the best. Android was so much nicer. Fast, no truncation, view all labels, embedded images. Links that would actually work.

People say Android is fragmented? Look at BB. OS6 OS7 are fragments. Why can't I have no truncation on OS6?

Any answers?
    01-21-12 10:35 AM
    I still am dealing with truncated email and I hate it! Don't tell me to just upgrade either. You all know if I upgrade from a 9650 to 9330 I am losing battery life. So it would be a trade off. One that I'm not willing to make right now. Not to mention the possible nuking.

Email is quick on the BB but it's not the best. Android was so much nicer. Fast, no truncation, view all labels, embedded images. Links that would actually work.

People say Android is fragmented? Look at BB. OS6 OS7 are fragments. Why can't I have no truncation on OS6?

Any answers?

because OS6 still uses legacy NOC technology, which was designed when data usage was a concern,
    The Reason RIM will be moving to ActiveSync and tunneling emails through the NOC for security in BB10 but removing the truncation limitations of the previous system.
    01-21-12 10:56 AM
    because OS6 still uses legacy NOC technology, which was designed when data usage was a concern,
    The Reason RIM will be moving to ActiveSync and tunneling emails through the NOC for security in BB10 but removing the truncation limitations of the previous system.
    Since OS7 users apparently do not get truncated email, why can't that limit be set on os6 as well?
    01-21-12 10:59 AM
    Since OS7 users apparently do not get truncated email, why can't that limit be set on os6 as well?
    That's a good question, I can't see why it should make a difference.
    01-21-12 11:43 AM
    That's a good question, I can't see why it should make a difference.
    I think the sole reason is to encourage people to upgrade to OS7 devices.

@Crissy. Don't be afraid to take a look at the Curve. I found mine to be a bigger upgrade to my 9650 than I was expecting.
    01-21-12 11:58 AM
    I'll take a look at the Curve. Thanks. I don't want to be forced to upgrade. I just wish features were retroactive. At least some.
    01-21-12 12:25 PM
    I'll take a look at the Curve. Thanks. I don't want to be forced to upgrade. I just wish features were retroactive. At least some.
    BB maps on latest OS 7.1 just got turn by turn directions, visual just, no audio yet.
    01-21-12 01:32 PM

Any answers?
    Sounds like untruncated is somewhere near the bottom of your priorities. Why does blackberry need to be different? What I mean is you like android but there was things you didn't like about it. But most of your post since you came back to BB you mention android.
    Fwiw I upgraded from a 9800 to a 9860 and I'm not getting any worse battery. The os7 brick isn't a sure thing. I've talked with a lot of people that has these new phones that hasn't had the 1st bit of trouble.
    I didn't know os7 devices didn't have truncated emails. I don't see what os has to do with it. I thought it was a limit that was inposed by the NOC. Why wouldn't the NOC inpose this on 1 os and not the other? I guess I'll play around and see if I'm actually getting untruncated emails.

01-21-12 03:02 PM
126 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD