Well as a 12 year BB veteran, this is the first time in 12 years I am second fiddle in my circle of friends.

My first BlackBerry was monochrome and wasn't even colour!! However I was always the one with the cool smartphone in my circle of friends. Over the years showing off my newest BB was always a topic of wonder and admiration in my circle of friends and a boost for my shameless ego

a month ago my wife upgraded her BB Tour and opted for the iPhone.
    I was skeptical at first but after a month I must admit my jealousy is growing.

Now it is her iPhone that now draws all the attention in our circle of friends.
    My kids used to grab my BB to play with games or fool around with the BB phone now they ignore me and go straight for my wife's iPhone. They want nothing to do with my BB anymore.

I have been relegated to second fiddle and it is not a nice feeling

Yes I know everyone will say don't worry OS 6 is coming and webkit browsing is coming blah blah but at best these features might (and I say might) even out the obvious disparities between the phones but I highly doubt it will leap frog the iPhone. Browsing with the iPhone is a mind boggling experience compared to the BB.

While I still remain loyal to the BB (at least for now) I am baffled that RIM appears unable to keep pace with iPhone (and Android seems to be coming up fast) considering they had a 10 year headstart....

Is it just me or is anyone else feeling like this?
    07-26-10 02:19 PM
    For what I need my BlackBerry for, I'm not the slightest bit jealous of iPhone users. It all depends on what the user's priorities are. Personally, I love my Bold and have no complaints about BlackBerry, RIM or otherwise. And does it really matter who's impressed by your wife's iPhone as long as you like your BlackBerry?
    07-26-10 02:22 PM
    You are not alone, my friend. I am on the same boat as you are. The only thing that is keeping my gaze to my BB is the BBM, otherwise I would've went to android a long time ago.

I am waiting for OS6 to come out and see what happens, if it doesn't excite me, I am moving to android. I know it wont be superior to android or even iphone, however, it shouldn't be far behind them.
    07-26-10 02:24 PM
    Well Clearly if you want something the kids run to, the iPhone will WIN hands down, the iPod touch was built for them, and the iPhone was made to let adults play too!

the Blackberry is NOT, and probably never will be sexy,
    iPhone changed the game, and Android jumped into the new game ready, BB still likes the old game, and just are slow to join the new game,
    Last edited by deRusett; 07-26-10 at 05:09 PM.
    07-26-10 02:25 PM
    Now it is her iPhone that now draws all the attention in our circle of friends.
    My kids used to grab my BB to play with games or fool around with the BB phone now they ignore me and go straight for my wife's iPhone. They want nothing to do with my BB anymore.
    If this bothers you you have more issues then you know..
    07-26-10 02:25 PM
    So a device is a status symbol to you? I get a device to simplify my life both business and personal...not because others think its cool.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-10 02:26 PM
    BB is Late for a reason. every phone is out by now I-PHONEY And DDDDroid etc . BB will bring something to the plate .BB always been the best on the business market now they will bring media to the market . BB will come on top Having the best of both worlds !!!!!
    07-26-10 02:38 PM

the iPhone is NOT, and probably never will be sexy,
    I beg to differ, and I'll say this too, "chicks dig the iPhone."
    07-26-10 02:41 PM
    There are a lot of people out there who use their computers for nothing more than email, PIM, and spreadsheets. My father is one of them. Then there's another rather large group of people who use their computers to browse the internet, listen to music, watch videos, play games, have some fun in addition to the other stuff.

in 2010, the same thing can be said about phones. Don't let the downers get you down. Do what you want, like what you want, and by all means, drink the Kool-Aid and join the fun.

Also, don't forget, "chicks dig the iPhone."
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 07-26-10 at 02:58 PM.
    07-26-10 02:46 PM
    The OP clearly has some issues. This is really stupid.
    07-26-10 02:53 PM
    get the phone you want, for what you want the phone to do for you. If it's to impress friends, then go for it.

Also, Roo, don't forget, chicks may like the iPhone, but they hate trolls
    07-26-10 02:55 PM
    Easy solution, divorce your wife.

I mean come on, the kids wanna play with the iPhone so you feel left out? Therapy works.
    07-26-10 03:08 PM
    I am not now, nor will ever be, jealous of the IPhone, if I was I'd own one, I own a BB because I want a BB, it suits my needs...if you're getting a phone because everyone else likes it that's just stupid.
    07-26-10 03:10 PM
    I was trying to figure out what the BB no longer did for you. It seems like the only issue is a status issue, or the fact that your kids tend to pay attention to mom more.

Does you BB do everything you need it for? Do you find the iPhone will better suit YOUR needs (not your kids needs). If the flashy looks and attention grabbing is more important to you, then why stick with BB? If the BB works for you, then enjoy it.
    07-26-10 03:14 PM
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to get the attention of your kids. If an iPhone brings you closer to your kids, why not get one? Not much different then getting an X-box so you can play Call of Duty with them.
    07-26-10 03:27 PM
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to get the attention of your kids. If an iPhone brings you closer to your kids, why not get one? Not much different then getting an X-box so you can play Call of Duty with them.
    Or...take your kids camping/fishing/swimming/hiking. Play games with them. Watch a movie with them.

All much cheaper than buying a phone simply to appeal to the people in your life when the phone you have is still perfectly appealing to you and your needs.
    07-26-10 03:49 PM
    Or...take your kids camping/fishing/swimming/hiking. Play games with them. Watch a movie with them.

All much cheaper than buying a phone simply to appeal to the people in your life when the phone you have is still perfectly appealing to you and your needs.
    Thank you! Was just going to post that, buying a PHONE should not be the way you get closer to your kids.
    07-26-10 03:51 PM
    If you really want to get that phone no one is stopping you. No matter what we say on this forum, you are the one who will make that decision.

Get the phone that fits your needs.

07-26-10 03:54 PM
    Easy solution, divorce your wife.

I mean come on, the kids wanna play with the iPhone so you feel left out? Therapy works.
    LOL!

I think you should use the phone that works best for you, and maybe buy your kids an iTouch

07-26-10 03:55 PM

Maybe the guy has cash to blow. Taking the kids to see a movie is cheaper sure, but why not take the kids to see a movie AND get an iPhone? What's the big deal?

Maybe part of the appeal of a BB for him was that it was a conversation starter. Since it's no longer that, maybe it's lost part of the appeal for him. Maybe the "sex appeal" of a gadget isn't of much importance to you, but perhaps it is to him.

Whatever his reasons, it's his, no need to belittle him or his reasons. I know people who buy phones because of the color it comes in or the case they can buy for it, it may seem silly, but it's not much worse than, I want my email in 5 seconds even though 10 minutes later is perfectly fine. Yeah yeah yeah, there are people who need it in 5 seconds, but really, not a high percentage of BB users.
    07-26-10 04:01 PM
    My whole family has Iphones and i did to until mine froze up and crashed, havent found myself to jealous yet as the only thing different in useage on my end is a few games that i had downloaded..my BB still gets emails, sms, BBm,good video play back, interwebs......whats there to be jealous of? the Iphone is heavier, bigger,harder to type on,and has poor radio recpetion which was really annoying...sitting with friends i had maybe 1 bar of service and they were all 5-6 bars. Plus yes nobody is touching your phone now...let them mess up the wifes.
    07-26-10 04:06 PM
    Sounds like an iPod touch would be the ideal solution - especially now it's upgraded to OS4. You can run all the silly applications and do the web browsing by wi-fi on the iPod, then use the BB for the serious stuff like making phone calls, e-mail and texting.
    07-26-10 05:04 PM
    I beg to differ, and I'll say this too, "chicks dig the iPhone."
    I meant to say the Blackberry thank you for the catch!
    07-26-10 05:08 PM
    ...My kids used to grab my BB to play with games or fool around with the BB phone...
    WHAT!? I would contemplate physical harm to anyone who arbitrarily grabbed my phone and starting playing with it.
    07-26-10 05:39 PM
    The iphone is a toy... BB is a phone for grown folks.
    07-26-10 06:19 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD