Before I put a screen protector on my new torch, the screen got scratched. Is there anything I can do?? I got it about 2 weeks ago. Please help
    11-16-10 03:19 PM
    Before I put a screen protector on my new torch, the screen got scratched. Is there anything I can do?? I got it about 2 weeks ago. Please help

If it REALLY bugs you, you COULD turn the phone in (satisfaction for 30 days). Put your old phone in service for at least three days. Buy another Torch. No cost, but two trips to your local store...
    11-16-10 03:43 PM
    I've never used a Torch, so I may be way off here, but bear with me...

With the Storm series, there is actually a factory installed "screen protector" (I use quotes because I'm not sure what its actual function is) on the device. I'm not talking about the easily identifiable sticky plastic that's surrounding the entire device, including the screen, but actually a thin screen-sized statically applied plastic protective layer on the screen.

I didn't even notice it at first when I first got my Storm, and literally had the exact same experience you describe, as I thought I had scratched the screen only days after I bought it. As it turns out, the screen was fine and I noticed the "screen protector" after the good folks here at crackberry recommend I take a good look it and see if that was the case (try using a pin along the corners or edge of the screen to see if you can lift it up). Sure enough...removed the plastic and screen was just fine.

I had my S1 for about a year, and have now had my S2 for almost a year, and I can definitely say that the screen are pretty darn scratch resistant. I don't use any type of screen protector and I've never got any scratches on my screen at all. None. And yes, I carry this thing in my pants pockets and have even dropped my device on more than one occasion. I'm not saying you shouldn't use a protector...but you might want to see if there's still a factory applied layer of plastic on the device before you panic and write the thing off as ruined.
    11-16-10 04:07 PM
    If it's within the 30 days will they take it back even with a scratch?
    11-16-10 05:57 PM
    I returned my bold with a bunch of scratches on it, and they accepted it .
    11-16-10 09:03 PM
    What's up with the Torch not having as resistant a glass screen as the Storm does?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-10 12:34 AM
    I ended up taking my phone back and getting a new one. I have a temporary screen protector that's kind of a matte finish so it really reduces the clarity of the screen. But at least that will hold me over until I get a better one.

Any suggestions on a good screen protector? I wish the screen didn't scratch so easily. Thanks for the help
    11-17-10 01:12 AM
    Zagg. Durable and clear. Had one on my Strom and now graces my Torch
    11-17-10 01:16 AM
    What's up with the Torch not having as resistant a glass screen as the Storm does?

Zagg. Durable and clear. Had one on my Strom and now graces my Torch
    ShawnSkene, as an owner of both, can you comment at all on any differences of the two screens of these devices, as far as composition and durability?
    11-17-10 07:42 AM
    The Zagg invisible shields are hands down about the best screen protectors. They are expensive and you can even get full body coverage on the phone. But they are worth it. And if they ever start peeling away or tear (which they won't) you can return them to the store and get a new one for free. They have a lifetime warranty on them. Good luck!

11-17-10 07:49 AM
    absolutely!
    11-17-10 09:20 AM
    I think you will be charged a restocking fee of $35 dollars.
    11-17-10 09:27 AM
    not if he puts his previous phone back in service for a minimum of 3 days. u only get charged if you elect to purchase a different phone.
    11-17-10 09:42 AM
    If it REALLY bugs you, you COULD turn the phone in (satisfaction for 30 days). Put your old phone in service for at least three days. Buy another Torch. No cost, but two trips to your local store...
    I returned my bold with a bunch of scratches on it, and they accepted it .
    Just a heads up. Depending on where you purchased the device, it makes a big difference, you may have just gotten a rep charged back close to $400 cash out of his or her paycheck. Generally, authorized retailers will not return a device if its not in the same condition it left the location and if it is returned the rep that processed it will be responsible for the cost of the device. COR, from what I understand, is much more lax about such things.
    11-17-10 09:46 AM
    it depends on the sales person/ employee who's helping you.
    if you do a switch/replacement.. then NO you won't get any restocking fee.
    if you do return... meaning you're no longer upgrading or signing a 2 yr contract with AT&T.. then YES they may charge you
    11-17-10 09:46 AM
    it depends on the sales person/ employee who's helping you.
    if you do a switch/replacement.. then NO you won't get any restocking fee.
    if you do return... meaning you're no longer upgrading or signing a 2 yr contract with AT&T.. then YES they may charge you
    I didn't notice the OP is on AT&T (DUH--of course the Torch isnt on Verizon), and I was relating Verizon's policies. Dumb me!
    11-17-10 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD