I remember when Apple and their stock looked hopeless during the late 90's. I thought they were dead ducks (and I loved Apple)

This RIM situation looks almost identical. A cash rich company that is the mired with doldrums, overwhelming competition, and an identity crisis.

Hmmmm... risky, eh?
    07-01-11 04:13 PM
    But what in life that is worthwhile, isn't?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 04:20 PM
    There are plenty of buggy whip manufacturers out there that would agree with you.
    07-01-11 04:25 PM
    I've always been told never to invest in a stock when its on the down... even if you think its going to shoot up.

BUT, I'm personally thinking of investing as well, but only after the new devices drop and only if I begin to see an upward trend and some progress.
    07-01-11 04:29 PM
    Android's rapid growth is mostly due to the flooding of the market with cheaply made and cheaply priced devices. You see people buying Androids that would never have bought a smartphone before. Only because they can get one for $70 or less. Many are $19.99. RIM builds quality and reliability. Now would be a fantastic time to buy RIM stock. By this time next year, it's value is gonna skyrocket.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    07-01-11 04:30 PM
    There are many cheap both ways androids out there even dumb phones have android on them.
    07-01-11 04:32 PM
    I think RIM is a good buy

It is either going to tank because nothing changes!

Or they are going to come out in the next 18 months double, what they are trading at now.

They have had 4-6 months of bad press driving the stock down, they need to release 2 or 3 good phones in a row to start getting back positive press, and then maybe the PE will be around 7, and their earnings per share will go up.
    Couple that with the Stock repurchase plan and the Nokia patents, the sell off of their assests would even net a pretty good chunk to not completely lose your stock value.

Is it a risk I'm gonna put my retirement into? No, but I have suck $3000 on the gamble

07-01-11 05:25 PM
    I would wait before buying because I've seen this movie before.

The crucial things is what RIM does next. If they take the recent criticism of their company and operations to heart, reorganize, and bring in good talent that can help them create great products it would be an encouraging sign. OTOH, if they continue on with their heads in the sand, go on an internal witch hunt to purge the ranks of discent, etc then they are on a fast track to irrelevence at best. At worst bought out, shut down, and their assets assimilated into some corporate Borg. For real world examples see Microsoft and Palm.

07-02-11 07:20 AM
    If you're thinking of stocks....two things.

Do you have cash that you're willing to sacrifice? Stock market is a gamble. Unless you are OK losing what you spent, rethink.

See a professional. Successful trading doesn't happen simply by watching pseudo stockbrokers on some tv show. Unless you're extremely well versed on the stock market avail yourself of some trustworthy advice.
    07-02-11 12:08 PM
    I'm not worried about RIM at all.
    adiafzal likes this.
    07-02-11 12:50 PM
    If you're thinking of stocks....two things.

Do you have cash that you're willing to sacrifice? Stock market is a gamble. Unless you are OK losing what you spent, rethink.

See a professional. Successful trading doesn't happen simply by watching pseudo stockbrokers on some tv show. Unless you're extremely well versed on the stock market avail yourself of some trustworthy advice.
    He doesn't have to invest his life savings in RIM stock. He can just buy 10-15 shares. If the price goes down, he won't lose much, if it starts going up he can always buy additional shares and make more money.
    07-02-11 02:08 PM
    Yeah but Apple had a little thing called the iPod that kind of got popular, then the iPhone which did pretty good. Trying to guess at the next big thing is a gamble. If you're going to put money in RIM, make sure it's only a small amount and keep the rest diversified. I hope you make cash but, if you lose, it will only be a little bit.
    07-02-11 03:35 PM
    After the shakeup at RIM, RIM can do nothing but go up. Some good flaws in upper management have been embarrassingly pointed out publicly and they cannot hide anymore the mismanagement from the Board of Directors.

This is a shakeup that was well needed, like pruning the dead branches from a tree for new growth. I am investing heavily, especially when seeing the direction that the highly talented engineers WANT to take the products, but have been handcuffed.

A very successful company, Analog Devices became successful when the management bowed down to the engineers for direction - management should FACILITATE innovation not direct it and impede it. I trust RIM has learned this.

Many analysts are already changing to a BUY rating.

07-02-11 03:51 PM
    Well I wouldn't seek financial advice on the Crackberry forum, but the less than 5x PE ratio does make it appear to be oversold.

Also when people make comparisons to Palm, well Palm never moved 10-14 million devices per quarter or ever had a market cap as large as RIM.

I think RIM is suffering now bc of poor reviews and lukewarm sales of the Playbook, no new phone to speak of in quite some time, and cuts in future earnings estimates by their own analysts. So RIM has not had any catalyst of good news in awhile.

Will new BB's with OS7 be a positive catalyst? Even if they are, we won't know until they are out for an additional quarter. Also we have no idea when the QNX phones are coming.

So I guess I would either wait for at least another quarter, since there is no good news coming anytime soon to make the stock go up that much. Or maybe a couple of quarters? Unless you don't mind waiting on a stock that pays no dividends and has no positive catalyst in the near future...
    07-02-11 07:20 PM
    I think RIM is a good buy

It is either going to tank because nothing changes!

Or they are going to come out in the next 18 months double, what they are trading at now.

They have had 4-6 months of bad press driving the stock down, they need to release 2 or 3 good phones in a row to start getting back positive press, and then maybe the PE will be around 7, and their earnings per share will go up.
    Couple that with the Stock repurchase plan and the Nokia patents, the sell off of their assests would even net a pretty good chunk to not completely lose your stock value.

Is it a risk I'm gonna put my retirement into? No, but I have suck $3000 on the gamble

Agreed. 110%. I wouldn't suggest sinking your life savings into the company. However, if you have some money that you can part with, I would definitely buy in. Whether people believe it or not, RIM is going to be ok. Notice I didn't say number one(although a possibility) but you don't have to be number one to be successful. Also remember, scared money can't make money.
    07-02-11 08:22 PM
    Yeah but Apple had a little thing called the iPod that kind of got popular, then the iPhone which did pretty good. Trying to guess at the next big thing is a gamble.
    It was a executive change that was the reason why Apple turned around and became profitable. They brought back Steve Jobs along with technology from a small company called neXT.

If RIM makes some executive changes it could also be profitable for them.
    Last edited by SugarMouth; 07-02-11 at 08:57 PM.
    07-02-11 08:35 PM
    This looks like a fair, unbiased unobjective, and POSITIVE analysis of RIMM's future.

What to Eye When Scouting an Undervalued Play - Seeking Alpha

>
    07-02-11 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD