Hi folks.

First of all I'm a Malaysian, so I'm not exactly attuned to US-centric sentiments or etc, but do humour me.

If I'm writing in the wrong side of the forums, do correct me.

First of all, I am a huge PlayStation fan, and I'm also a CrackBerry addict by choice. I am not living in United States nor am I am aware / attuned to the sentiments that are US-Centric.

Now, I was holding my PSP 3000 and then I was reminiscing about a hacker community's idea of having the phone function on PSP with a add-on hardware (no proof of concept, but the idea is feasible if you look very carefully at how a Chinese company in China managed to make a GSM receiver for Apple iPod touch (the ones that mimic iphail 3GS and ipain4asses formfactor)

And when Thorsten Heins mentioned about the possibility of licensing BB10, I really hope Sony would take up the challenge, and here's why they would REALLY benefit SONY and RIM.

What's in for SONY:

1. instant access market to a potential of 80M users even if some of them already owned PlayStation devices.
    2. Social interaction INTEGRATION to their gaming ecosystem that could potentially rival XBOX Live in terms of coverage and reach that will complement their PlayStation World and also allowing PSP hardware to play non Playstation games (like web games, android ported games, etc) because their portable hardware is awesome. + BBM into that, and you get the idea. PSN I'd + BBM = synergy!
    3. Differenciating and ressucsitate the PlayStation Portable, WalkMan, and Cyber-Shot into one streamlined tiered device by not competing in the same Android-OS segment.
    4. Differenciating and opening up new venture opportunities into QNX-based license to run PSP-OS, BB10 with support for Xperia Play certified Android Apps.
    5. SONY will now finally realize its dreams of packaging a SONY handheld device as a complete entertainment masterpiece BOTH inside and outside of the house, on the move, etc.

What's in for RIM / BlackBerry:

1. Immediate attention and potential bazillion users, especially where wannabe-poser devices like iphail4asses is not a gaming device should just go back home and rot right where it should be.
    2. Licensing fees. Enough said.
    3. Backing out of Nvidia but at the same time keeping ahead of NVidia and its ilk. Tegra 1, Tegra 2 and Tegra3 out in less than a year, but they still can't challenge PSP when it comes to pure mobile graphics + mobile processing power.
    4. With PSN (ID) and SONY (hardware) as support, RIM can focus exactly on continuous development of QNX based BB-OS updates and finetuning. Security, interactivity with other QNX devices, etc.

What's in for us (customers)
    1. Instant win.

So what do you think? Too far up in fairyland? Or insane but possible in theory?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    08-21-12 08:44 AM
    08-21-12 12:53 PM
    I am aware that Xperia Play EXISTS on the Android platform. Here, I am suggesting they do something slightly more radical if they are looking at the BlackBerry platform.

Hardware processing power of a PSP Vita, with the support and backing of other platforms that they (SONY) has, namely Cyber-Shot and WalkMan series of enhancement, in a package that is natively on QNX based BB10.

There's a reason why Xperia Play isn't selling like fire even though its "PlayStation certified".

08-21-12 01:03 PM
    Sounds like a descendant of the old N-Gage and the N-Gage QD, which I still have. A portable gaming system built into a phone. Even though it wasn't PlayStaion, it's games were PlayStaion quality.
    08-21-12 01:34 PM
    The N-Gage on concept was a good design, but it got washed out by PSP.

I still wondered why the older PSP generation never had a "call module" despite the fact that it was actually, theorically and practically possible at that point.

So if you were the decision maker;

A gaming device with call features? Or phones that can supposedly play games?

I opt for the former.

08-21-12 01:39 PM
    It's very difficult to take you seriously when you use words like "iphail" and ipain4asses"

That said, I was kind of surprised when the Vita was released with 3G but no phone support. I still don't fully understand the reasoning behind that decision, but I'm not going to carry around a bulky 'portable' gaming device anyhow. If it's too big to fit in a suit jacket I don't want it.
    08-21-12 01:45 PM
    Well, you don't have to take me seriously. Just humour me.

PS Vita, runs on 3G, but not call features. I'm not aware of the spectrum that it can connect to, but my guess is that probably Eriksson had something to do with SONY being not able to implement call features on the device.

I'll love to be able to call on that. Played on a friend's VITA and I find the hardware very, very impressive.

08-21-12 01:51 PM
    I'd rather just have a BB10 phone with a Playstation emulator. The controls would work great with a hardware keyboard, and I won't have to carry around an actual phone.
    08-21-12 02:08 PM
    Interesting. That reminds me though of the recent add on hardware for idevices that would supposedly emulate or > the typing experience on a qwerty device, namely the BlackBerry design.

08-22-12 06:51 AM
    The N-Gage on concept was a good design, but it got washed out by PSP.

I still wondered why the older PSP generation never had a "call module" despite the fact that it was actually, theorically and practically possible at that point.

So if you were the decision maker;

A gaming device with call features? Or phones that can supposedly play games?

I opt for the former.

I prefer my portable gaming device to be a portable gaming device. I don't need to share my battery power with calls and gaming and internet. I have a phone for calling, a tablet for internet and portable videos and music.
    08-22-12 07:39 AM
    Your concept OP, does not play to either of the companies strengths. If it were to happen the verticals you discuss would not be the course. For instance it would be a better deal to license the operating system to Sony in exchange for something other than money. Share brand recognition and technologies. If BlackBerry 10 is a powerful mobile computing platform the "verticals" become not a matter of can we, but a matter of should we.

It would be more impressive to see a hardware relationship between Sony or LG or BOTH.

Where Sony takes BB10 (the platform) to touchscreen laptops, Xperia Phones, Sony TVs, sounds systems you name it. If they could make the change, boot out Android and replace it with this new BlackBerry QNX alternative on the more handheld side of things. Connect it with Playstation (imagine your BBM pin as your gamercode) And have BB10 phones able to "bridge remote" you'd change the console industry. Imagine a world where I go to my friends house and dont need a specific controller, just bridge my phone.

On the non hand-held side. You have LG who wants to compete against brother Samsung. They can take BB10 to refrigerators, washing machines dryers, toasters and other appliances in the embedded space.

But we neglect the animals in the room. Companies like Symbol and NCR who manage POS terminals and other embedded devices we interact with on a daily basis. Getting THOSE partners right will more so determine the fate of BB10 than anything else. Otherwise it'll just feel meetoo and offer nothing unique.

Especially with what Windows 8 will be leveraging.
    08-22-12 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD