I was just looking at the various places that I have lived with the satelite view on and when I checked my memory it was down from 27 to about 25 I did a soft reset thinking no big deal it will come back and it didn't. I even did a battery pull and it still didn't come back. Anyone have any idea why this happened and will deleting google maps and reinstalling it fix this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 09:41 AM
    um thats not a huge mem loss
    11-07-08 10:05 AM
    ^ What he said...
    11-07-08 10:07 AM
    I was just looking at the various places that I have lived with the satelite view on and when I checked my memory it was down from 27 to about 25 I did a soft reset thinking no big deal it will come back and it didn't. I even did a battery pull and it still didn't come back. Anyone have any idea why this happened and will deleting google maps and reinstalling it fix this?
    Google Maps and any other apps that you install on your phone, will take up memory. Most of those "leaks" are normally just data that the apps are storing into the memory in the form of cache or data files. Some apps allow you to flush or delete their cached files, and others like GM (which is still beta btw), do not have their full functions turned on yet, or are poorly explained.

With GM you can flush the cache (so to speak), while in GM hit the MENU button scroll down to HELP, once in the HELP menu, scroll down to Reset Google Maps.

What this will do is reset (aka delete),any Google Maps created cookies, favorites, history of search terms, preferences, map and satellite image cache. Then the program (Goggle Maps) will close. The next time that you run it, all saved info will be gone. So if you don't mind inputting all your saved places (favorites), each time that you want to use them, no biggie.
    At this time GM does not allow for storing data on the media card to be loaded later, once it has been reset, it's gone for good.
    11-07-08 10:41 AM
    Hopefully later on Google maps (mobile), will allow you to marry your web based google maps, with your mobile versions, allowing you to set up routes and saved maps to be pulled down to the mobile or vise versa.

This would allow for having favorites for different cities/trips, stord on your media card which can be loaded and unloaded as needed, instead of having to keep a giant ever growing master log of favorites in memory all the time.
    11-07-08 11:00 AM
    ok, see, that was the explanation I was looking for....I know it isnt that huge of a memory loss I was just wiggin out cause even a hard reset didnt get the memory back....but blkbear your explanation makes total sense. I appreciate the replies. I did delete it and now Im up to 28 free so all is well. I guess Im a freak when it comes to keeping my pearl cleaned out. Time to reinstall now that I know how to clear the apps cache.
    11-07-08 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD