02-24-10 07:44 AM
26 12
tools
    Hi there hope someone can help me out on this little matter.

Right now I have a blackberry pearl flip which in the last 8 months it had to be replace 3 times.

Now I am ready for a upgrade so I went and got a HTC Touch Pro. which I have had for about a little over a week and I am not happy with it because of the battery is dead with in 4 hrs. sometime less.

Now I am thinking of going back to a blackberry which these are the one that I can get and was wondering if you could tell me which one is a really good phone.

1. BlackBerry Curve 8530

2. BlackBerry Tour 9630

3. BlackBerry Curve 8330

4. BlackBerry 8830 World Edition

5. Palm Treo Pro

Now I was thinking of this one to because I really wanted a touch screen which is this one.

LG Tritan

Thank you for your input.
    02-22-10 07:02 AM
    1. Great "novice" BlackBerry, lacks the juice a power user is looking for.
    2. Excellent, but Tour2 is soon around the corner, I would wait for that.
    3. Oldsk00l... lacks WiFi, but has camera flash. Otherwise similar to #1.
    4. 3xtr33m 0ldsk00l. Forget this unless you're looking for n0st4lgi4!!11!.
    5. Yuck.
    02-22-10 07:07 AM
    Get an Android.
    02-22-10 07:27 AM
    Wish I could be my carrier is Alltel and they don't offer that one.
    02-22-10 07:28 AM
    i just switched from an htc diamond to a tour and now I'm wondering why i waited so long to switch. I had the same battery problems on my diamond that your having on your touch pro. the battery life on my tour is amazing, by the end of the day with heavy use i still have half a battery.
    02-22-10 07:52 AM
    5. Yuck.
    the 8530 and 8330 arent anywhere similiar. Just besides the flash and wifi. The 8530 is a MAJOR upgrade from the 8330.
    02-22-10 08:01 AM
    5. Yuck.
    +1 on this post.

If you're looking for a nice BB for a good price, go with the 8530.
    Avoid the Palm Treo Pro if battery life is the big issue with your previous device... My buddy had a Treo 800W that wouldn't hold a charge for half a day, and then the battery got so hot when charging it melted the back of the phone...
    02-22-10 08:04 AM
    @dyllon262: "major"... come on.

Trackpad > Trackball
    256MB app memory > 96MB app memory
    + WiFi, - camera flash

Otherwise the very same Curve type keyboard and form factor, 2.0Mp camera... Take a look yourself: BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)
    Last edited by shinkodachi; 02-22-10 at 08:08 AM.
    02-22-10 08:05 AM
    Avoid the 8830. 8330, while the 8330 can use a 5.0 OS, it still is going to be left behind as BlackBerry advances into the future. If you are willing to do without 5.0, it would be an acceptable choice for a limited time.

If you don't need Wi-Fi, and do need a flash, Tour would be the way to go out of the choices available. The 8530 is ok in many ways, but some feel it is just too cheap feeling. +/- on that one.

If you like the side-slider format (I hate 'em) the Tritan, I can't really give useful review on. But those keyboards are a nightmare if you have large fingers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-10 08:10 AM

Trackpad > Trackball
    + WiFi, - camera flash

Otherwise the very same Curve type keyboard and form factor, 2.0Mp camera... Take a look yourself: BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)
    I would call it a major upgrade for the curve series devices. Faster processor than the 8330, OS 5.0 (which I know will be out for the 8330, but with the faster processor and more memory it will no doubt run more smoothly on the 8530)

Really, the only thing that carries over from the old Curve series into the new one is the screen and the camera (minus flash). I would call that a pretty major upgrade... They could have put 128mb of memory in it and gone without WiFi... that would have been a minor upgrade IMO.
    02-22-10 08:11 AM
    To me the 85xx series is the 83xx on steroids, nothing more nothing less. This can be debated for centuries, but bottom line is both are Curve series.

Anyway back to original topic I would raise my hand and vote for the Tour as well, but to me WiFi is quite important and therefore I would wait for the Tour2 or get the Curve 8530 straight. I had the Curve 8520 (GSM sibling of the Curve 8530) and I did not feel it was cheap. Actually it felt much more solid than my earlier Curve 8900 (and current Storm2 9520).
    02-22-10 08:17 AM

Trackpad > Trackball
    + WiFi, - camera flash

yeah i would faster processor,wifi,trackpad,memory, and most of all it can run 5.0 os which i think is a "major" upgrade from the old curve.
    02-22-10 08:39 AM
    To me the 85xx series is the 83xx on steroids, nothing more nothing less. This can be debated for centuries, but bottom line is both are Curve series.
    Touche...

Like I said before, for a good all around BB with quite a few options, the 8530 is a good device. That being said, I don't particulary care for the keyboard or the screen, and that's why if it were me I'd go Tour, however, with the Tour2 coming out it'd almost be worth the wait, but you're going to be dropping a pretty good chunk of money for that, so if WiFi and a trackpad isn't a big selling point, but you don't like the Curve, the Tour 9630 is a great device, that you can get for a pretty cheap anymore, and it'll definately go down once the Tour 9650 comes out.
    02-22-10 08:40 AM
    i have to go with what my carrier offers so i am limited to what i can get now lets just say between two of these which one would be the best.

1. BlackBerry Curve™ 8530

2. BlackBerry Tour™ 9630
    02-22-10 09:28 AM
    02-22-10 09:33 AM
    i have to go with what my carrier offers so i am limited to what i can get now lets just say between two of these which one would be the best.

1. BlackBerry Curve 8530

2. BlackBerry Tour 9630
    both Blackberry's have the same amount of memory, ram and processor speed. I you go with the 8530, you will have to live with a lower res screen and a camera with no flash. If you go with the 9630, you will have to live with the outgoing trackball, no Wi-Fi, and the no ability to play 3D games, if that's important to you.
    02-22-10 09:42 AM
    Ok for one I don't play games with it. so that is no biggy

Not sure where i would use the wi-fi with because i just use the carrier that i have to get internet but do have wi-fi at home.
    02-22-10 09:47 AM
    both Blackberry's have the same amount of memory, ram and processor speed. I you go with the 8530, you will have to live with a lower res screen and a camera with no flash. If you go with the 9630, you will have to live with the outgoing trackball, no Wi-Fi, and the no ability to play 3D games, if that's important to you.
    To my knowlege the processor on the Tour is slightly quicker. Also, the Tour is EVDO Rev. A while the Curve is EVDO Rev. O, which, while 3G, is slower than Rev. A

Ok for one I don't play games with it. so that is no biggy

Not sure where i would use the wi-fi with because i just use the carrier that i have to get internet but do have wi-fi at home.
    How is strong is your signal at your house? The nice thing about WiFi is that you have access to data in places where you may have signal issues. If you don't really have signal issues, then WiFi isn't much of a big deal, even tho it is faster than 3G.
    02-22-10 10:01 AM
    I'm glad to see you guys giving good reviews to the 8530. My work will probably replace my current 8830WE, which served me well, with an 8530. I wasn't happy because the 8830WE saw me through some really hard times in really bad conditions and I hadn't appreciated it until then. Now that I finally appreciate it, they're about to take it away.
    02-22-10 10:09 AM
    Tour for sure, but if you can wait a bit for the Tour2 then i'd go with that ;x
    02-22-10 10:17 AM
    personally i'd go with the 8530, I had the same decision and that's what I went with. I don't beleive one is really better than the other but just have different features to offer. If wifi, trackpad, and new os is more important go with the curve 2. If screen resolution and camera is more important i'd go with the tour.
    02-22-10 06:59 PM
    Tour has OS5 available. Just not natively.

02-22-10 08:30 PM
    lot of very good input here and i really do thank you all for the input.
    02-22-10 08:50 PM
    if you are looking to pick up the tour, you are making a mental mistake. nothing against the tour, but the tour 9650 is just about to be released. wait and get that one, you will be satisfied with your purchase. if you are not fond with your tour selections, it opens the door for the 8530, which is nice too.
    02-22-10 10:52 PM
    I would get the Tour 2 or an Android device like the Moment or Hero.

02-23-10 05:14 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD