So I have around 18 users on BES and the bosses want to know if there is a way to monitor their GPS signals when they are out and about. Besides Google Maps latitude, is there anything else that can do this?

I don't want them to be able to figure it out and just switch it off. This is more of a Admin keeping an eye kinda thing. Any ideas?
    03-04-10 04:24 PM
    Basically you are talking about covert tracking. Some of the free tracking services specifically disallow this but you can try LiveTracker - GPS Mobile, Server, Desktop Tracking Suite
    03-04-10 06:19 PM
    I would check the legalities of doing this first, before worrying about the technical aspects.
    03-04-10 07:40 PM
    I would check the legalities of doing this first, before worrying about the technical aspects.
    If they are company provided 'berries, then it is legal -- the company has the right to know the location if their property.
    03-05-10 05:35 PM
    If they are company provided 'berries, then it is legal -- the company has the right to know the location if their property.
    This. We have GPS in all of our company vehicles so we can see when/if the guys are running around doing nothing or even sitting idle for more than 10 minutes. The berries are property of the company, and as such we have a right to know where they are during work hours.
    03-16-10 02:23 PM
    I'm not all up on the details, but there is an IT policy for location tracking. I believe it only stores GPS coordinates in the database. You would then need to either write or purchase 3rd party software to process this information into a usable form.
    03-17-10 01:15 PM
    While I do not claim to be an expert in international law, I suspect that the legality of this will differ from country to country. I can entirely understand a company wanting to track their assets, but I would not expect a company to track the location of its employees outside of work time. There could be an argument that says a phone can be switched off, but for those of us who do "on call" this isnt an option.

Either way, I am interested in what solution you might be using.
    03-17-10 01:44 PM
    Agreed. The business has a right to track its BB's during the workday, but what happens after the work day is over?
    Do the employees abandon the blackberry in the office at night, and then pick it up during the next business day?
    You can not monitor an employee's location when they are off the clock.
    03-17-10 02:02 PM
    I work in the public sector and do a lot of work with emergency services, this has been an ongoing debate for a while now. For us there is also a health and saftey perspective, if we did enable GPS tracking, it would allow us to see where our boys and gals are in "sticky" situations - so it has its plus points to for our uses but there is still resistence around the whole "big brother" side of things. More to the point why wouldnt you want your boss to know where you are if you are doing your job properly. As far as i am concerned my boss owns my **** from 08:30 til 17:00 mon - fri. If they wanna know wher I am then thats up to them, I have nothing to hide. Very often the folk that object are the ones that need to be tracked.. anyhow thats entirley different debate ..lol but it shouldnt all be seen as negative from the people that are being tracked.

I would be interested in how other people engage with their users on this matter and what kind of reponses they get as well as knowing what we can use to achieve the tracking...
    03-18-10 07:00 AM
    There is a location Tracking Policy Item. It updates the Devices location in the Database for the BES Server. (Needs to be on a bes, not sure if BESX has this functionality) It will let the user know that they are being tracked (Customizable message)

I'm not sure about the legalities so I won't comment there.
    03-18-10 01:17 PM
    As far as i am concerned my boss owns my **** from 08:30 til 17:00 mon - fri. If they wanna know wher I am then thats up to them, I have nothing to hide. Very often the folk that object are the ones that need to be tracked.. anyhow thats entirley different debate ..lol but it shouldnt all be seen as negative from the people that are being tracked.
    That's great, but what happens after 5pm? If you're required to carry your company blackberry at all times, then your boss is also tracking you when you're off the clock.
    Unless you leave the BB at work once you're off? If that's the case, and if that's what the Op is doing in this case, then I see no problem with the tracking.
    03-19-10 01:08 PM
    Just my opinion, but if you are required to keep your company phone with you 24/7/365, as is the case causing much of this debate, then you are technically never "off the clock." You are at that point "on call," and have company equipment.

All this debate can be solved by requiring employees to sign a release that states the phone may be GPS tracked at any time. The employee then has the option of signing, or not and potentially having to find another job. The decision is theirs at that point.
    03-22-10 09:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD