Wasn't side loading apk files strictly designed for developers? The average BB owner does not side load apps that aren't available in blackberry world. I side loaded the latest leak but never really enjoyed having to side load apk files for every single app I needed that was not already available for blackberry. Yes, it isn't that hard to do but it is a pain in the arse especially if you want to quickly download an app when you aren't near a computer. Blackberry world needs more apps and this side loading apk files does not close the app gap for Blackberry; it is just a band aide.
    02-02-14 08:03 PM
    It's pretty clear at this point if you want apps then you are going to have to use Android apps.
    02-02-14 08:42 PM
    that's good support for Google as foremost
    02-02-14 09:11 PM
    Why should developers be encouraged any longer to make bb10 apps when they can just make an android app which will work for both platforms.

What a great way to kill off a brand, suffocate it's app development (which wasn't that strong to begin with), google is very smart no wonder they agreed to allow android run time environment on blackberry.

Blackberry 10 committed a lot of resources to developers last year, google basically got all the blackberry developers for free.

Posted via CB10
    Doing this makes it easier for BlackBerry to sell phones because the app gap is gone. No more bull excuses about functionality. The more phones they sell the more market share they get which motivates devs to make built for BlackBerry apps.

Posted with the Glorious Z30
    02-02-14 10:22 PM
    Doing this makes it easier for BlackBerry to sell phones because the app gap is gone. No more bull excuses about functionality. The more phones they sell the more market share they get which motivates devs to make built for BlackBerry apps.
    The problem with that is that the Android functionality is going to sell VERY few phones for BB. Most people won't know about it or understand how to do it, and even the few who do understand how to do it are almost all people who would have bought BB anyway. The general public will ask if "XYZ app" is available in BB World, and if told they can run Android apps instead, will likely think "why not just buy an Android phone then?"

Mostly, this is going to help keep EXISTING BB10 users on the platform for a little longer, but not much beyond that. Few customers who have used the seamless app store experience on iOS or Android are going to have the patience for dealing with Android apps on BB. Existing BB10 owners only do it because they've already committed to BB10 (and most are the extreme diehard BB fans).

I see 2014 as having BB win some big enterprise contracts, but beyond that, I don't see them being able to sell much. Even the Jakarta phone is going to struggle to compete with low(er)-cost Android phones that have access to BBM and will run all Android apps without issue. Jakarta is the right idea, it's just several years late.
    02-02-14 10:37 PM
    Wasn't side loading apk files strictly designed for developers? The average BB owner does not side load apps that aren't available in blackberry world. I side loaded the latest leak but never really enjoyed having to side load apk files for every single app I needed that was not already available for blackberry. Yes, it isn't that hard to do but it is a pain in the arse especially if you want to quickly download an app when you aren't near a computer. Blackberry world needs more apps and this side loading apk files does not close the app gap for Blackberry; it is just a band aide.
    Agree and disagree. I use SNAP which is like having Google play direct. It searches, installs, and updates apps same as bbworld.

It does alleviate the app gap in a sense where I can now try all the fancy apps and use what I want but it it will never be the same as having a native app. I still feel these apps need to be in BlackBerry World and be publicized in commercials and ads along side apple store and Google play.

Rogers Deals and Discounts C0022C8F2
    02-02-14 10:40 PM
31 12