Hello, I am new to this forum and I have searched repeatedly before creating this thread, the information may be here but I cant find it or perhaps I dont know the correct esoteric jargon to search properly.
    I have recently purchased a Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650. I have phone service with At&t already but I thought the phone would make a nice addition to or compliment some of the other devices I already have and I could use it when I travel. I bought the Sprint Bold because I plan to get service with them in the future if some of the promises regarding service improvements/expansion pan out. I had a lady friend previously who had the BB 8900 and I thought it was the finest piece of hardware(chrome and metal w/that I beautiful qwerty keyboard) had ever come across. I purchased this phone specifically to do email with and so forth via the WiFi connection and I could pop in a sim for voice when I travel.

I don't pay for mobile data now and I haven't for awhile because I can't use it. The service in my area is horrible. So for now, until a service provider can actually offer an adequate, usable data signal I am using Pre paid AT&T for voice and text and WiFi for data.

I provide this background as of indicating that I am not trying to rip anybody off etc....

My question is this, How can I use my WiFi for all data functions this phone is supposed to perform? I paid the unsubsidized price for this phone as I did for all my others for exactly this reason. I can perform all neccessary functions with both my WM phone and my Android phone via WiFi. What gives with my Blackberry?
    09-02-10 06:47 PM
    Someone with factual info should be by soon but I'll bump this by repeating what I THINK I've read or remember. Unless you have a data plan from Rim, you would be limited in what kind of data services are available.

You MIGHT be able to use the Browser or possibly BOLT or Uzard browsers with wifi. If that works, you might be able log on to your email via a web interface.

Again, there are some real experts out there. If you don't get a response in a timely fashion, you might re-ask the question in the more general DISCUSSION forum rather than the specific. Or also in the wifi subforum. General discussion probably gets more exposure.
    09-02-10 07:48 PM
    Thank you, F2.
    I do have a seperate wifi browser though I will probably never use it. I have other ways I'd rather browse, just need to do email.
    09-02-10 10:05 PM
    As far as I know, without a data plan from RIM, your Bold 9650 is a fancy paperweight.

F2 is correct. You can use it for whatever you can get with wireless access, maybe browser will work but BIS email will not and BBM will not and service in areas with no wi-fi will not.

That's as far as I know.

If I am incorrect, as F2 suggested, someone will more knowledge will come along and correct BOTH of us.

To get the most use out of a beautiful piece of engineering like the 9650, i suggest you get a data plan. The Bold is a thing of beauty and it is a marvel in your pocket or hand. You won't be disappointed. I would be lost without mine functioning day and night!
    09-03-10 06:20 AM
    There is really little point in owning a BlackBerry device if you do not have a data plan.

Just my humble opinion!
    09-03-10 07:10 AM
    I DO have a data plan. I purchase it from Verizon and its beamed straight to my device from my wireless router. This is nice piece of hardware, I dig the keyboard or whatever, but the suggestion that I need to pay wireless service provider to get hotmail or yahoo sent to my device when I already paid retail for this thing and have internet service is ridiculous. Very disappointed in this thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-10 05:22 PM
    I DO have a data plan. I purchase it from Verizon and its beamed straight to my device from my wireless router. This is nice piece of hardware, I dig the keyboard or whatever, but the suggestion that I need to pay wireless service provider to get hotmail or yahoo sent to my device when I already paid retail for this thing and have internet service is ridiculous. Very disappointed in this thing.

So wait, you have a Sprint 9650 with a data plan or a Verizon 9650 with a data plan? And you can't get your yahoo email? Is that the problem? Please be specific in what you want us to troubleshoot. I'm confused
    09-03-10 05:28 PM
    I have a Sprint 9650 that I bought off contract with the expectation that sooner or later and if Sprint comes through with the coverage improvements they have promised, I would have this activated with Sprint. I am not going to pay $25-30mo for wireless data when there is not a service provider who can offer any sort of reliable, usable signal in the areas where I live and work. It is for this reason that I buy all my phones at retail, unsubsidized and use wifi for data. You can always find a signal if you really need one, anywhere, all over the world. For voice and sms I have an At&t prepaid sim card that, if I choose, I can put in any phone I own. This phone(Sprint 9650) seemed like a logical choice because It comes unlocked and Sprint is currently working on improvements in my area and if I wanted to in the future I could activate this phone with that service. Until then, I want my email and data etc over wifi. Every other device I have ever had can do this.

09-03-10 05:53 PM
    You cannot get your data and email over WiFi without a BlackBerry Data Plan.

A BlackBerry functions differently from a Windows Mobile or an Android device.

Sorry that you are disappointed in the device, but a little bit of research (such as posting a thread like this) in advance would have revealed this fact.
    09-03-10 07:27 PM
    Thats the problem I think as rims servers are open to only those that have that carrier enabled data plan. So the service provider has to be involved. It's a BB thing. I feel the OP's frustration tho as with all my many winmo devices I was always able to get my mail pushed to the phone via wifi and no data plan.
    As always feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

MM beat me to it.
    09-03-10 07:36 PM
    I have a Sprint 9650 that I bought off contract with the expectation that sooner or later and if Sprint comes through with the coverage improvements they have promised, I would have this activated with Sprint. I am not going to pay $25-30mo for wireless data when there is not a service provider who can offer any sort of reliable, usable signal in the areas where I live and work. It is for this reason that I buy all my phones at retail, unsubsidized and use wifi for data. You can always find a signal if you really need one, anywhere, all over the world. For voice and sms I have an At&t prepaid sim card that, if I choose, I can put in any phone I own. This phone(Sprint 9650) seemed like a logical choice because It comes unlocked and Sprint is currently working on improvements in my area and if I wanted to in the future I could activate this phone with that service. Until then, I want my email and data etc over wifi. Every other device I have ever had can do this.

Yeah, unfortunately, you are going to purchase a data plan or not be able to use data services from Sprint to receive push email and the like. Or use the wi-fi and go to the mobile website for yahoo to check your email whenever you want but it will not be pushed like on BIS. This is what everyone has been trying to tell you all along here.
    09-03-10 07:39 PM
    That's fine. I suppose it is my fault. I should have expected that this Blackberry or Blackberry products in general would function completely differently from every other device/os on the market today?
    So... Is there an app where I can put bookmarks on my home screen? Or, sense I do not want to sign a two year contract with a service provider, is it possible to receive BIS through RIM directly?
    Failing that, I guess I'll just put this up in my closet next to my Sega Saturn and my laser disc player.

09-03-10 09:43 PM
    You may not need to sign a two year contract since you did not purchase a discounted phone - the contracts usually bind you to amortize the cost of a discounted phone. Who do you have cell service with now? AT&T? You may be able to add data on a month to month???
    09-03-10 10:31 PM
    I'm not sure if its different for me because I have a Verizon Bold, but I recently forgot to pay my bill and my service was cut off for a couple of days and I was still able to receive and send email and browse the web. My bbm worked fine and I was able to download apps through both the crackberry ota apps list and app world. This may be because I do have a data plan with big red even though it was suspended but it was all done with the radio off to save my horrible battery life so who knows.

09-03-10 11:02 PM
    I called At&t and they only offer BIS on contract .Their data service isn't real reliable anyway in the black hole that I live in. I just thought somebody might know of a way around this such as using different servers ,re-configuring the email settings etc...as I can't be the first person who has run in to this sort of problem. Any how, thank you everybody for all your help. I'll figure something out eventually.

09-03-10 11:19 PM
    I'm not 100% sure it'll work, but try Aerize Wifix.

09-04-10 12:47 AM
    I'm not sure if its different for me because I have a Verizon Bold, but I recently forgot to pay my bill and my service was cut off for a couple of days and I was still able to receive and send email and browse the web. My bbm worked fine and I was able to download apps through both the crackberry ota apps list and app world. This may be because I do have a data plan with big red even though it was suspended but it was all done with the radio off to save my horrible battery life so who knows.

Not sure what happened here but if your service was "cut off" and "suspended" and your "radio was off" (as you are saying) you were not on VZW service. But you had email and BBM, SOOOOOO, you really weren't cut off and your service wasn't really suspended. Maybe they threatened that but you wouldn't have been getting bbm and email if VZW had cut your service. So you DID have service then...you MUST have and your radio HAD to be ON for those times when things were being delivered.

Otherwise you're a walking miracle... no, i mean otherwise I don't
    understand what happened. But anyway. Glad ur back!!!!
    09-04-10 06:58 AM
    I'm not 100% sure it'll work, but try Aerize Wifix.

I downloaded this app but I can't figure out how it works. I tried google maps and google mobile app but no dice. The manual is supposed to be at aerize.com but wifix isn't even listed there.

09-04-10 07:30 PM
    hey people pls help i am albon from macedonia and i have black barry 8900 wifi prob
    when i turn on my wifi i scen vetwork but nothing cent find i dont know how to configuratemy phone or ther is a technikal prob with bb8900 pls help
    09-04-10 07:53 PM
    does enyone knows why my black bary 8900 cant find network i select ddcen networt thet says no network konection
    sory for my bad english
    09-04-10 08:10 PM
    does enyone knows why my black bary 8900 cant find network i dont know if the problem is in my phone or softwere
    respond sory for my bad english
    09-04-10 08:12 PM
    Allbional - first, you have to give people a chance to answer your question.

But there also may be better locations to post your question. You might also explain what you have tried.

But here's the 8900 forum

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/

And then there is a wifi forum

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/

Good luck

And your English is certainly better than anything I could muster in your native language
    09-04-10 08:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD