Hey,

I'm new to the bold 9650. verizon finally put me out of my misery and upgraded me to the bold from the tour.

The one thing I am unsure how to use to wifi. This is my first device that had a wifi option. I have it all setup and connected to my homes router and have the browser on hotspot.

I was under the impression when my phone is connected via wifi that my browser speed would increase dramatically. this is not the case for me...it is as slow on 3G than it is on wifi. Ii am unsure if this is a settings issue and if anyone can point me in the right direction.

The only upside I see to having it enabled right is that I can browse pages while on a call.

Thanks
    Chester
    08-19-10 12:25 PM
    open your browser then go to options. select "browser conifguration" set it to "HOTSPOT". then under browser options again select "General Properties". under "Default Browser" pick "HOTSPOT" again. Save Settings. This should help. Just remember, when you're not near a wifi spot you need to put all the settings back to "Internet Browser".
    08-19-10 12:44 PM
    ^ Actually, if you leave it on internet browser, whenever you are in a wifi area, wifi automatically is used. No switching needed when you leave.. To test, just look at the wifi logo in the corner when surfing-then leave the wifi area, and notice the wifi logo, is now your 'signal bars'. I like this.
    08-19-10 01:04 PM
    50s is correct, go to Options>Advanced Options>Browser>Select "Internet Browser" and it automatically connects when WiFi is available and no switching is needed. Mine automatically picks up my office router when I pull into the parking lot at work and picks up my home router when I get to my driveway at home.

Speed will vary, but in theory WiFi should be faster, but will depend upon your internet connection, modem, router, signal, etc as well as your cellular network connection, signal, etc. You can test your speeds with Speedtest from Xtreme Labs Inc.

You will find the download link this Bold 9650 thread:

9650 Speedtest! post your results!
    08-19-10 01:40 PM
    Since I got the 9650 I read all posts about wifi. My internet speeds as monitored by Speedtest is much faster when I turn off wifi in Manage Connections, uncheck wifi box. I have a Netbook that gets Speedtest results similar to other computers on my LAN.
    On the 9650 a slower speed is achieved by enabling wifi, slower still by enabling wifi and disabling the radio.
    08-19-10 05:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD