Hi,

I'm a UK BB 8120 user and my hand set has been sync to push e-mail from my work Outlook Web access.

I'm going on holiday abroad soon and I think I may be charged extra roaming fees for e-mail if i recieve e-mail outside the UK.

Is there a way that I could temporary turn off e-mail whilst abroad without having to delete account. I heard some where that repeatedly deleting accounts will result in a slow push function so I want to avoid this.

Any tips?
    11-06-08 09:27 AM
    Go to Options>Advanced Options>Service Book and delete the email service books.
    11-06-08 09:29 AM
    Go to Options>Advanced Options>Service Book and delete the email service books.
    is that on the phone or via the internet on my desktop?
    11-06-08 09:31 AM
    excuse my ignorance but what is a service book?
    11-06-08 09:33 AM
    It will be on your phone. The service books are sent by RIM to the phone that tells the phone what services to run.

Deleting the account and re-establishing it, shouldn't have any affect on the "push". BIS doesn't truly push OWA anyway. BIS polls the OWA account every 15 minutes. If there is activity it polls more frequently until the activity dies down.
    11-06-08 04:20 PM
    Could you turn off Data Services?. Try going to the Manage Connections icon ( looks like an antenna) . Scroll to Mobile Network Options and press menu. You could either choose Off or Off Whilst Roaming.

See if that works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-08 04:26 PM
    Just turn off Data Services - much easier
    11-06-08 04:54 PM
    In regards to turning of data services, if i turn that off will RIM still not try to transfer my OWA e-mail to the blackberry and they will just still remain on hold until the data services turns on again. I will still get charged roaming fees for this.
    11-06-08 06:27 PM
    turning off your data services is the best option. because even if you temporarily delete the e-mail account service books, the device will still poll into the data server to check for its usual stuff (even if it has nowhere to pull it) as well as access data for other parts of the phone. this will still cause you to have roaming charges. by turning off data services, your phone will not access data at all and you'll be safe.
    11-06-08 06:31 PM
    turning off your data services is the best option. because even if you temporarily delete the e-mail account service books, the device will still poll into the data server to check for its usual stuff (even if it has nowhere to pull it) as well as access data for other parts of the phone. this will still cause you to have roaming charges. by turning off data services, your phone will not access data at all and you'll be safe.
    ok i will turn of data services but what exactly will be turned off...internet, e-mail ect?
    11-07-08 10:54 AM
    Gajen , that is correct , no data at all. No email, BBM etc

11-07-08 01:11 PM
    Could you turn off Data Services?. Try going to the Manage Connections icon ( looks like an antenna) . Scroll to Mobile Network Options and press menu. You could either choose Off or Off Whilst Roaming.

See if that works.

Wouldn't Gritmaster's solution above work better,
    because frequent travelers could leave this setting as-is, always?

Also, for the BB genii out there, I need to know
    how can I connect my Storm to a computer and
    use the computer's Internet connection to "do the usual" BB access?

ifranks.blogspot.com
    Last edited by ifranks.blogspot.com; 08-16-09 at 11:51 AM.
    08-16-09 09:48 AM
    I searched CB for "turn off email" and found this solution. I've only had my BB for a few days and simply don't want email on it when I'm home on my laptop. TMI! Now I can turn off data services and turn it back on when I leave home. thx BB gurus
    05-07-10 08:19 AM
    Personally I would just delete the email accounts from the Email Settings folder then add them back once I got home from holiday, after cleaning the accounts up from a pc. Turning off data would disable sms and mms I believe. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

05-07-10 09:54 AM
    Just log into the BIS website and use a filter. You can either set it to not forward any email to the phone or set a filter that blocks everything without the word EMERGENCY in the title (or whatever keyword you want to use) in the event of an emergency.
    05-07-10 10:00 AM
    Newbie here...glad I found this thread. I will be traveling out of the country soon on vacation.

I want to turn off email, but keep text messaging. I'm thinking I can disable the data services (Verizon), and when I arrive in the Dominican, can connect to the free Wi-fi there? This would be for texting only...I don't want emails popping up while on vacation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've only had my BB for 3 days now. Thank you!
    05-14-11 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD