I just purchased the Blackberry Storm, and have had it for a week. I am having a problem with the battery needing to be recharged after about 5 hours. In searching the web, I found a reference to this problem where it said that if you disable the GPS you will get up to 15 days of standby time and 5 hours of talk time. I don't want to use the GPS, so could someone tell me how to turn it off?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-08 08:55 PM
    You can't turn it completely off, only to E911 (federal regs.) Go to options, advanced options, GPS, set to e911.

GPS isn't hunting for anything unless you are using an app that requires it so I'm not sure about the battery life thing.
    12-06-08 08:58 PM
    Options>Advanced Options>GPS>GPS Services E911 Only
    12-06-08 08:59 PM
    so e911 only and location will use the same about of battery?

they both equate to it always being ready in standby?

and it wont drain battery in either setting unless you load a app tht uses it?
    12-06-08 09:03 PM
    E911 only activates the GPS if you dial 911. Beyond that it is off.
    12-06-08 09:05 PM
    I dont think that the GPS is really your problem. I have my GPS on all the time and thats not what kills my battery.

check these things:
    Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Turn off the Global and just set the Network Technology to 1XEV. This should turn the GSM radio off.

Options > Screen/Keyboard. Adjust the Backlight Brightness and Blacklight Timeout.
    Backlight Brightness can be set to 30 or 40 with no noticable difference. Set the timeout to 20 or 30 seconds.

Also, make sure that you close any apps that might auto update.
    like: ESPN scores, Twitter updates, etc.

That should help a bit
    12-06-08 09:08 PM
    I dont think that the GPS is really your problem. I have my GPS on all the time and thats not what kills my battery.

check these things:
    Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Turn off the Global and just set the Network Technology to 1XEV. This should turn the GSM radio off.

Options > Screen/Keyboard. Adjust the Backlight Brightness and Blacklight Timeout.
    Backlight Brightness can be set to 30 or 40 with no noticable difference. Set the timeout to 20 or 30 seconds.

Also, make sure that you close any apps that might auto update.
    like: ESPN scores, Twitter updates, etc.

That should help a bit
    I would really like someone with a sweet wireless signal scope to see if setting to 1xev really turns off gsm radio.

and if removing the sim card disables it too or either.
    12-06-08 09:10 PM
    that would be great... i heard removing the sim might do it too, but who knows for sure.
    12-06-08 09:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD