I have installed a background application/service that I want to switch off ("Funambol Blackberry Sync" in this case). Taking the battery out does not prevent it starting up again in the background. I do not want to completely remove the application just turn it off periods when it is not required.

I am new to blackberries and would be grateful for any pointers.
    07-25-11 12:55 PM
    All you can really do is from within the application hit the menu key and look for a close/exit option
    07-25-11 01:54 PM
    All you can really do is from within the application hit the menu key and look for a close/exit option
    Thanks for the reply but it is a background application/service like the home application and so does not have a close/exit option. At a guess, the operating system starts and stops the background applications/services from a "list" tucked away in the depths of the phone's menus. Or perhaps in the system administrator's menus if there is such a thing.
    07-25-11 02:16 PM
    There are apps that are just dumb like that. LinkedIn is another one that always runs once it is installed. I bagged it as soon as i figured out there was no way to turn it off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-11 02:22 PM
    There are apps that are just dumb like that.
    It is a server (and perhaps a front end to a server) that normally should run all the time. Such programs are normally started and stopped by the operating system. On Windows run services.msc, on linux click on system->administration->services and on blackberry do what?
    07-25-11 03:34 PM
    It is a server (and perhaps a front end to a server) that normally should run all the time. Such programs are normally started and stopped by the operating system. On Windows run services.msc, on linux click on system->administration->services and on blackberry do what?
    Sorry, I never did find an answer to that, at least as it pertained to LinkedIn. If the app/service doesn't give you a way to shut it down within its own interface, I don't think BBOS gives you any other options.

07-25-11 04:04 PM
    You can reboot in safe mode with absolutelly no third party apps running

07-25-11 04:20 PM
    You should be able to edit the apps permissions to "deny"and render it useless until the permissions are edited back to "allow". Menu/Options/Applications, select your app then click "Edit Permissions"

Last edited by albee 1; 07-26-11 at 09:37 AM.
    07-26-11 08:36 AM
    You should be able to edit the apps permissions to "deny"and render it useless until the permissions are edited back to "allow". Menu/Options/Applications, select your app then click "Edit Permissions"
    Thanks. The blackberry services that are not running due to the absence of BIS do indeed have different permissions to those that are running. Not sure quite what the different permissions mean or if these are the only/important parameters controlling the running of the services. Do blackberry have any publications on this sort of thing?
    07-27-11 07:49 PM
    Hey thanks for the clue!
    07-27-11 08:57 PM
    Thanks. The blackberry services that are not running due to the absence of BIS do indeed have different permissions to those that are running. Not sure quite what the different permissions mean or if these are the only/important parameters controlling the running of the services. Do blackberry have any publications on this sort of thing?
    The permissions needed for an app to function vary. My weather app has 3 main requirements to function. Connections, Interactions and User Data. There are also choices in the menu when editing, to prompt to allow access to the afore mentioned. My only suggestion since I am not running the same app is to Deny each one at a time, until you have attained the desired result. You can always change them back to Allow anytime. Happy hunting.

I will see if I can find more on the subject and post a link.

07-28-11 08:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD