Guys,

I just bought a white 9900 on ebay (UK) and one of the attractive features was that the seller mentioned that it was an upgrade from Carphonewarehouse and it had 9months warranty left with Carphonewarehouse. However, after buying the phone, he didnt include the receipt. He claims it was lost.

So I took the phone to Carphonewarehouse, and they verified that the phone was not reported as stolen, but the phone DID NOT COME from Carphonewarehouse.

I know its late already, but I'm quite suspicious at this point.

I'd like to know if there is a way I can stop the phone from being reported as stolen later on, because I don't quite trust this seller now.

Thanks.
    06-03-12 09:02 AM
    I'd recommend you dispute it with eBay immediately and get your money back. The seller misrepresented the sale. Don't waste time with an item you're suspicious about.

That being said... you really can't prevent anything from being reported as stolen. The onus is on you to verify you purchased an item legally.
    06-03-12 09:09 AM
    once the phone is active on your account, i dont see it being an issue. you have proof of sale. if the phone was reported stolen before you drop your SIM in and register it on BIS, that would be a different story. i dont think you would have an issue. ive purchased plenty of phones online and never once had an issue. i wouldnt worry about it at this point if i were you.
    06-03-12 09:39 AM
    Thanks guys,
    now he's saying that he only suggested to go to somewhere like Carphonewarehouse to claim whats left of the warranties.

Carphonewarehouse has said that they wouldn't check for manufacturer's warranty unless I produce a receipt.

Is there any other way round this? to claim warranties especially from RIM without the receipt?
    06-03-12 09:50 AM
    once the phone is active on your account, i dont see it being an issue. you have proof of sale.
    Proof of sale is meaningless if what you purchased is stolen. The stolen item can still be confiscated, and then he'd be out both the device and his money.
    06-03-12 09:53 AM
    Here in india we can claim warranty witout reciept.they check imei number and just tell wheter its in warranty or not.
    06-03-12 10:20 AM
    Wow... What a shady seller... I would lodge a dispute and get my money back, JUST IN CASE something happens later and you lose both phone and money...
    06-03-12 10:44 AM
    Could you tell us the sellers username so we know not to deal with him
    06-03-12 12:46 PM
    The warranty only applies to the original purchaser and is not transferable by the user to someone else.

So with or without the receipt, you do not have a warranty on a device you purchased from another individual.
    06-03-12 07:08 PM
    The warranty only applies to the original purchaser and is not transferable by the user to someone else.

So with or without the receipt, you do not have a warranty on a device you purchased from another individual.
    Depends on the distributor. There are many that allow transfer of warranty.

Penned via Tapatalk.
    06-03-12 07:43 PM
    I concur with the above poster. I buy many phones as used (especially BB since the prices drop by half just after 1 month of usage). I get my warranty claims as normal. They tie the warranty to the IMEI and not the owner. But it's still good practice to get the receipt from the person you're buying from, just in case...
    06-04-12 07:56 AM
    Sometimes you don't have the receipt. My playbook was purchased through a RIM employee on his credit card, so I don't have a receipt for it, except for my bank record of emailing him the money. As long as he has his ebay record, he has proof that he purchased it legally.
    06-04-12 09:00 AM
    Sometimes you don't have the receipt. My playbook was purchased through a RIM employee on his credit card, so I don't have a receipt for it, except for my bank record of emailing him the money. As long as he has his ebay record, he has proof that he purchased it legally.
    Stolen property can still be confiscated even if you didnt know it was stolen when you bought it. If the OP has ANY worries they need to report it to eBay immediately and request a refund. They should not want to chance being involved in anything like this. The legality of your purchase has nothing to do with the legality of the object. If that wasnt legally obtained by the seller, anything that comes after is immaterial.
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 06-04-12 at 09:09 AM.
    TGR1 likes this.
    06-04-12 09:07 AM

Is there any other way round this? to claim warranties especially from RIM without the receipt?
    I am not that familiar how it works in the UK, but if you bring it back to where it was originally sold they can probably check the imei and provide warranty work.

Last fall I bought a Rogers 9900 that was originally sold unlocked in August via Ebay to a buyer in the USA. He put it up for sale here about the same time the 9900 became available from AT&T. Last month it developed a bunch of stuck pixels. I brought it into Rogers (I am a post paid customer there) and they sent it off for warranty repair after confirming on their system it was under warranty. It came back like new with everything new except the main board, battery cover and the metal bezel, no charge.

Anyway, for Rogers users, here is the site to look up your IMEI to see if your Rogers phone is still under warranty. Other carriers may have similar sites.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...OfWarranty_1_1
    06-04-12 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD