combat? they've lost the war. And it didn't even take IOS. Android pretty much threw them out of Verizon. Rimm is pretty much done in USA. But they are big in Java Indonesia!
    Thats a great point. Everyone that I knew had Blackberry's are now rocking a Droid phone. Sucks since I'm now left with a "in the dark" feeling cause I won't change (due to comfortability), and they look to have some really neat features to mess around with
    01-12-11 10:07 AM
    Thats a great point. Everyone that I knew had Blackberry's are now rocking a Droid phone. Sucks since I'm now left with a "in the dark" feeling cause I won't change (due to comfortability), and they look to have some really neat features to mess around with
    Think back to when you got your first BB--remember how to had to ask questions about how do use it, had to read up on interface elements, had to discover what to do when things went haywire? Certainly you weren't totally comfortable with it for quite some time. If you go to Android, you'll soon get up to speed on it, also.
    01-12-11 10:10 AM
    Think back to when you got your first BB--remember how to had to ask questions about how do use it, had to read up on interface elements, had to discover what to do when things went haywire? Certainly you weren't totally comfortable with it for quite some time. If you go to Android, you'll soon get up to speed on it, also.
    It's easier to learn a language when you don't know any, then to learn a new language.
    01-12-11 10:26 AM
    Oh I realize that Dave, the learning curve isn't hard for me, but I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to "change" just because its out there. What works for me, is good for me. Hence why I got married.
    01-12-11 10:27 AM
    Oh I realize that Dave, the learning curve isn't hard for me, but I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to "change" just because its out there. What works for me, is good for me. Hence why I got married.
    IMO its much easier to learn a new phone OS than it is to learn a new woman OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    01-12-11 11:51 AM
    I'm not suggesting change just for change sakes,either. I don't do that myself. But the BB platform has fallen far behind what's available on the android platform. Why deny myself an improved cell phone experience? I owe no loyalty to any mfgr.
    01-12-11 12:34 PM
    That woulnd't work well. They should save that money and build a decent phone.
    I agree they need to build a decent phone moving forward, but TODAY, they don't have one, so that is the best strategy I could come up with with their current offerings.

and You'd be surprised how much key marketing can accomplish, Apple is a company that proved Marketing trumps quality, the 1st Gen iPod wasn't even among the top 5 MP3 players at launch, they quickly became #1 off of marketing.

Same with McDonalds, they didn't have the best menu, selection, nor pricing in the 80's proper marketing strategy and they became the world leader in Fast food (quick serve) restaurants.

RIM will not get the business of the Tech Savvy users, but if they focus on management on the BES side, NOT IT departments, they can gain a lot of traction ( Epicore is a company that knows this, they are making great sales with some of the worst software I have seen since the 80's)
    The Teenage market is a market that parents are looking for perceived durability, a full touch screen, though today is very durable, they don't have the same perceived durability to people outside the techy/geeky world. the Teens will take what they are given, if RIM promotes with the Carriers a rebate deal on Family plans containing blackberry's parents looking for low cost solutions will buy blackberry's

Most features isn't the only selling point, price/marketing play a roll,
    a large number of consumers research nothing before a purchase, they just look at price and the commercials
    01-12-11 12:36 PM
    I'm not suggesting change just for change sakes,either. I don't do that myself. But the BB platform has fallen far behind what's available on the android platform. Why deny myself an improved cell phone experience? I owe no loyalty to any mfgr.
    +1 bolded
    if you get an improved experience by switching who made it mostly shouldn't hold you back, ( I say mostly because I WILL NOT buy sony products, so even feature for feature I'll pay more for NON sony products)
    01-12-11 12:39 PM
    +1 bolded
    if you get an improved experience by switching who made it mostly shouldn't hold you back, ( I say mostly because I WILL NOT buy sony products, so even feature for feature I'll pay more for NON sony products)
    and that's your prerogative. I've got a Sony PS3, 2 blu ray players, a portable radio made in 1968 that still works great, so I'm not against Sony, but I understand everyone has different experiences and have tried different models of their products which may have resulted in a less-than-stellar experience. COme to think of it, I'd owned several of their CRT monitors, and some other equipment who's models elude me at the moment. oh, yeah, 2 Sony Subwoofers, to name 2 more. 2 boom boxes... a compact digicam. A camcorder...a clock radio.
    Last edited by dave1812; 01-12-11 at 12:45 PM.
    01-12-11 12:42 PM
    and that's your prerogative. I've got a Sony PS3, 2 blu ray players, a portable radio made in 1968 that still works great, so I'm not against Sony, but I understand everyone has different experiences and have tried different models of their products which may have resulted in a less-than-stellar experience.
    Oh it is very much my prerogative, many people clearly buy sony, and I almost never blatantly dismiss a product because it is sony when someone else wants to buy it, but nothing sony will be owned by me, and it is more about head office over product build quality that is my issue with Sony.
    01-12-11 12:46 PM
    Oh it is very much my prerogative, many people clearly buy sony, and I almost never blatantly dismiss a product because it is sony when someone else wants to buy it, but nothing sony will be owned by me, and it is more about head office over product build quality that is my issue with Sony.
    Did you ever stop think the stereo in your car might be Sony or even the car speakers. I think you should have phrased your statement as "I will not knowingly own Sony." I detest Sony then I found out that the speakers in my Explorer were Sony! I got those things off and put JVC.
    01-12-11 01:33 PM
    Are you alluding to philosophical differences??
    01-12-11 01:34 PM
    Did you ever stop think the stereo in your car might be Sony or even the car speakers. I think you should have phrased your statement as "I will not knowingly own Sony." I detest Sony then I found out that the speakers in my Explorer were Sony! I got those things off and put JVC.
    what has Sony done to you to engender such hatred, if I may ask? The only guy in high tech that I despise is Steve Jobs, yet I've still purchased some devices from apple--all 12 of which are in one genre-ipods.
    01-12-11 01:36 PM
    RIM doesn't need to worry about the IPhone! They already have a PLAN in place.... It's a 10-year plan to global dominance in mobile computing.

Unfortunately they drew it up before Apple and Google got into the smartphone business
    OS5 and the STORM2 was going to be a major turning point for RIM... The TORCH and OS6 were going to be a major turning point for RIM... Now the Playbook and QNX are going to be a major turning point for RIM...
    But the IPhone coming to VERIZON is going to be a major turning point for RIM!
    01-12-11 01:45 PM
    I will give you that, I will never in my power buy Sony products, or own them, though I am not sure what Stereo is going to be in my 2011 Nissan piece of junk yet, it might very well be Sony

Are you alluding to philosophical differences??
    Yes.
    01-12-11 01:46 PM
    For one thing... the IPhone 4 will not be released for $200.00
    To be fair and honest, yes it will be. My wife read this morning that there will be a $199 w/contract version (16 gig) and a $299 (32 gig) version.

Verizon Wireless Unveils iPhone Plan - WSJ.com
    Last edited by kb5zht; 01-12-11 at 05:35 PM.
    01-12-11 05:28 PM
    Think about it this way would care about Reliability (blackberry) or Entertainment (iPhone). Btw todays blackberries like the Torch does have enough entertainment and multimedia to compete with the iPhone. So I would go with a bb, where you can find entertainment and reliablity.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I've got to say, I love my Torch, but it doesn't have anywhere near the multimedia capabilities of the iPhone. I knew that when I bought it though, and I was expecting a better media experience on my Blackberry, not a better communication experience on my iPod.
    01-12-11 05:43 PM
    The Storm 2 and the Bold would be the first to get boosted. (I'm talking 3GHz quad-cores here), 15MPixel cameras (atofocus/flash as standard), 256GB on-board storage space and QNX. Then I would give the Style the same treatment, and then the Torch. I would also ensure 36-hour constant HEAVY usage battery life.
    I personally don't see the point of all of these features... My $700 brand new laptop has about 2Ghz dual core processor, and it never needs more (other than doing ripping/converting), so why would I need triple the processor speed on my phone? I have a friend who's a semi-pro photographer, and his camera is a 12MP... even the 3.2MP on the 9700 looks perfectly fine when you blow it up on a 40"ish display, so why would you need 15MP on something other than a high-quality camera designed for blowing things up on building-sized screens? Finally, on my old laptop that died a month or so ago, and I'd had it for about 2 years, I used around 100GB, including stuff I didn't care about but didn't bother to delete. Why do you need 2.5 times that on your phone?!?!?
    To counter your final point, if you can honestly make a phone that has that large of a processor, a screen, a size less than that of an ordinary laptop, and more than a day's battery life, then you are pretty much a miracle maker...

These specs will likely be needed, but looking at what we've been living with for the past few years, I think that by that time QNX will be as old and outdated as the current bb os is now, if not older...
    01-12-11 05:53 PM
    that is why you sign a 1 year contract and upgrade in 10 months.
    It may be different where you live, but in Canada you save up to $50 when you buy a phone on a 1 year contract vs. buying the phone straight out...
    01-12-11 05:55 PM
    what has Sony done to you to engender such hatred, if I may ask? The only guy in high tech that I despise is Steve Jobs, yet I've still purchased some devices from apple--all 12 of which are in one genre-ipods.
    As this is a BB forum I must ask, why did you have 12? Did they all break down?

(This post is mainly intended as sarcasm, but I have had several experiences with iPods lasting less than a week... though usually they wait until about 5 seconds after the warantee expires.)
    01-12-11 05:57 PM
    For one thing... the IPhone 4 will not be released for $200.00 Two, comparing a BB with a full qwerty board and a touch screen is not fair even either. I would take the Bold over the Apple toy of the month without blinking twice. Then again I am also the person who gave away 2 Ipods that were given to me because I would not be dragged into the Apple way of thinking. By the way I also returned 2 Android phones recently because they did not do the simple things correctly... like make a call.
    Prices have already been announced as the exact same as AT&T.

$199.00 for the 16gb iphone and $299.00 for the 32gb iphone.
    01-12-11 07:04 PM
    It realy and truly makes no difference for everyone to beat up on each other or the carriers or the companies producing the 3 major platform OSs that are out right now.
    We have RIM for BlackBerry, Any company be it Motorola for Android, HTC, Samsung, LG etc. for Android and Apple for iphone.

Now and in the future the war is going to be won based on the buying public and what they want and what they are willing to buy. There are those of us that when a new product comes out and they want it it does not matter about their 2 year contract, they just go get it, Then people like myself that wait out their 2 year contract to upgrade. What we are buying and how the market share between these major players widens... Either certain companies like RIM which right now seem to be the one falling behind will either drop out of the Wireless war or use the info. from the buying public to do something incredible putting the R & D dept to work to come up with devices that will compete with the other major players and get back in the game.

Right now there is choice and we the buying public dictate what these companies are doing and what brings these many simalar threads on here to life for us to discuss and voice our opinions on what we are going to do. Look how many people in all these threads under General Discussion have already made the commitment to go to Android.

Get back in the game RIM and do it quickly before it is too late.
    01-12-11 07:22 PM
    As this is a BB forum I must ask, why did you have 12? Did they all break down?

(This post is mainly intended as sarcasm, but I have had several experiences with iPods lasting less than a week... though usually they wait until about 5 seconds after the warantee expires.)
    No. I've got 7 and my wife has 5--different form factors--nano, full size, Mini, several Shuffles, 4 touchs. the batteries are weak on the older ones, but othere than that they all work fine.
    01-12-11 07:24 PM
    It realy and truly makes no difference for everyone to beat up on each other or the carriers or the companies producing the 3 major platform OSs that are out right now.
    We have RIM for BlackBerry, Any company be it Motorola for Android, HTC, Samsung, LG etc. for Android and Apple for iphone.

Now and in the future the war is going to be won based on the buying public and what they want and what they are willing to buy. There are those of us that when a new product comes out and they want it it does not matter about their 2 year contract, they just go get it, Then people like myself that wait out their 2 year contract to upgrade. What we are buying and how the market share between these major players widens... Either certain companies like RIM which right now seem to be the one falling behind will either drop out of the Wireless war or use the info. from the buying public to do something incredible putting the R & D dept to work to come up with devices that will compete with the other major players and get back in the game.

Right now there is choice and we the buying public dictate what these companies are doing and what brings these many simalar threads on here to life for us to discuss and voice our opinions on what we are going to do. Look how many people in all these threads under General Discussion have already made the commitment to go to Android.

Get back in the game RIM and do it quickly before it is too late.

IMO, their window of opportunity has dwindled to mere WEEKS, and I don't say that melodramatically. Too many other products from other companies have captured the imagination (and soon, the MONEY) of the average consumer. RIM is at the precipice, despite the cool-appearing PB. Not to mention that Verizon doesn't try to sell BB's any more.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    01-12-11 07:26 PM
    IMO, their window of opportunity has dwindled to mere WEEKS, and I don't say that melodramatically. Too many other products from other companies have captured the imagination (and soon, the MONEY) of the average consumer. RIM is at the precipice, despite the cool-appearing PB. Not to mention that Verizon doesn't try to sell BB's any more.
    Amen dave and a well said statement comback to what I was getting at. You read what I wrote and got out of it exactly what I was trying to say.

I just hope that everyone realizes that it takes years of research and development for any company to put a future device on paper and bring it to life. It is very evident that the companies and devices US the buying public are now purchasing, asking for and getting have started a long time ago and RIM has not.

I love my Tour and it has been flawless but like many of you it is time to move to a new platform.

It is truly a shame on RIMs part that it will take them a good 5 years to try and bounce back. The day of the business man strapping on a BB to his hip to conduct business is over.

Even at the least in the hands of the right businessman the iphone with the right apps will give him what he needs to conduct business and have some fun at the same time. Throw Android in the mix and all I can say is shame on you RIM for waiting on your laurels and past Rep. to get you by.

Thank you dave for the comment.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 01-13-11 at 08:14 AM.
    1812dave and JoelTruckerDude like this.
    01-12-11 08:01 PM
130 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD