That was almost 3 years ago.
    Never said it was recent

since the launch of the iPhone, to call something a Huge Success has been changed, and RIM will never see sales to the level the iPhone saw, nor will Android phones,

so the last time RIM had a Huge Success was the Bold 9000

the 9700, was a very successful phone
    as was the 8530, but neither would I call a huge success.
    01-10-11 08:48 PM
    Yes, they sold a million Curves in Zimbabwe.
    Even I had to laugh at that one. XD
    01-10-11 08:49 PM
    Never said it was recent

since the launch of the iPhone, to call something a Huge Success has been changed, and RIM will never see sales to the level the iPhone saw, nor will Android phones,

iPhone aside, RIM's latest offerings have been flops. The Style is a flop, the 9780 isn't making any noise, and the Torch (the self-proclaimed "best Blackberry ever") is the biggest flop of all.
    01-10-11 08:54 PM
    iPhone aside, RIM's latest offerings have been flops. The Style is a flop, the 9780 isn't making any noise, and the Torch (the self-proclaimed "best Blackberry ever") is the biggest flop of all.
    Torch is #2 selling Phone on AT&T

Torch out sells All but the Samsung Galaxy for Android Phones in Canada

if you take iPhone out of the equation the Torch WAS a success, and continues to be one.
    01-10-11 08:56 PM
    *sigh* Wow...
    01-10-11 08:57 PM
    *sigh* Wow...
    do we remember what the topic was?
    01-10-11 09:02 PM
    BlackBerry Stratego � CASH 2011

Let's play a game, shall we? Let's say you're Mike or Jim. You know VZW is about to unleash the iPhone 4, what do you do? You currently have BOGO for the $50 Curve 3G 9330, $100 Bold 9650, and the $50 Tour 9630 (no BOGO for the $200 Storm 2). For this game we'll just use the $200 price of the 16GB iPhone 4.

So... how do you combat Apple's iPhone 4 on VZW move? Lower your prices? Release new devices? Hey that rhymes.
    Leave the current BB lineup alone except the Storm 2. The only device for a major revamp needs to the Storm 2. Let's throw QNX on it, a powerful processor and the best gpu available, a top notch high resolution touch screen (no clicky crap!), and make the UI as easy and intuitive as the iPhone.

My reasoning is this: fight fire with fire, and fight a powerful touch screen phone with excellent hardware and a user friendly UI with a powerful touch screen phone with excellent hardware and a user friendly UI.

After that, which should at least slow the bleeding, then go back and fix the candybar devices in a similar manner.
    _StephenBB81 likes this.
    01-10-11 09:02 PM
    Leave the current BB lineup alone except the Storm 2. The only device for a major revamp needs to the Storm 2. Let's throw QNX on it, a powerful processor and the best gpu available, a top notch high resolution touch screen (no clicky crap!), and make the UI as easy and intuitive as the iPhone.

My reasoning is this: fight fire with fire, and fight a powerful touch screen phone with excellent hardware and a user friendly UI with a powerful touch screen phone with excellent hardware and a user friendly UI.

After that, which should at least slow the bleeding, then go back and fix the candybar devices in a similar manner.
    Only problem is that QNX isn't ready for phones yet. And people will be reluctant to buy any BlackBerry that's running OS 6 (assuming that it's the end of the BlackBerry OS) when there's something new around the corner than won't be available to upgrade to on any older phones.
    01-10-11 09:04 PM
    RIM has their own ways in combating and competing with Apple, there makes no sense to bash or diss a company, just wait and see if all I would do.

Besides, consumers like some of us just keep complaining non-stop when we shouldn't. Why complain all the time and just make use of what is available? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-11 09:06 PM

Proposal for the sure to arise app Argument,
    I'm a RIM hopeful, but Can't see how they could win a head on head battle with iPhone, with No Apps, people seem to think an App Launching pad is a user friendly OS, so if RIM were to make an app launching pad OS with minimal apps, how do they win the fight?

EDIT:
    Thanks for bringing the topic back
    01-10-11 09:06 PM
    I just saw a list that had the Captivate #2.
    01-10-11 09:10 PM
    i just saw a list that had the captivate #2.
    Galaxy S is the Captivate

What was #1?

edit: ok #1 is iPhone, what was I thinking?
    Last edited by JD914; 01-10-11 at 09:16 PM.
    01-10-11 09:11 PM
    Only problem is that QNX isn't ready for phones yet. And people will be reluctant to buy any BlackBerry that's running OS 6 (assuming that it's the end of the BlackBerry OS) when there's something new around the corner than won't be available to upgrade to on any older phones.
    It should easily scale to phones. Heck, Sprint is getting a Playbook in a 4g version for their network. It would require a bit of tweaking for the radio but I suspect most of the functionality is already in place in QNX. All things considered it seems stunning if they wouldn't build the functionality in right when designing the playbook. I know they wanted to rush it out but long term they'd have been better off to do a bit of parallel development or have the original team work up the modules a smartphone would need that Playbook wouldn't.

An OS6 device would be a waste of time trying to go up against the iPhone. It would be just as embarrassing as OS 4.x or OS5 vs iOS was. QNX is the only thing that will win that fight even if RIM somehow slightly edges out the iPhone in specs.

Most iPhone fans are fans because of the OS. You need to beat Apple at their own game to fight them off.
    01-10-11 09:11 PM
    RIM has their own ways in combating and competing with Apple, there makes no sense to bash or diss a company, just wait and see if all I would do.

Besides, consumers like some of us just keep complaining non-stop when we shouldn't. Why complain all the time and just make use of what is available? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Agreed 100% If you want Android, then buy Android, same for iOS and BB.
    01-10-11 09:12 PM
    It should easily scale to phones. Heck, Sprint is getting a Playbook in a 4g version for their network. It would require a bit of tweaking for the radio but I suspect most of the functionality is already in place in QNX. All things considered it seems stunning if they wouldn't build the functionality in right when designing the playbook. I know they wanted to rush it out but long term they'd have been better off to do a bit of parallel development or have the original team work up the modules a smartphone would need that Playbook wouldn't.

An OS6 device would be a waste of time trying to go up against the iPhone. It would be just as embarrassing as OS 4.x or OS5 vs iOS was. QNX is the only thing that will win that fight even if RIM somehow slightly edges out the iPhone in specs.

Most iPhone fans are fans because of the OS. You need to beat Apple at their own game to fight them off.
    Come to think of it... The PlayBook is just an oversized phone. Knock a few inches off and it would be perfect.
    01-10-11 09:16 PM
    I have 4 major networks here. I have:
    AT&T - Torch.
    Sprint - Style
    Verizon - Storm
    T-Mobile - I would give them a Bold.

The Storm 2 and the Bold would be the first to get boosted. (I'm talking 3GHz quad-cores here), 15MPixel cameras (atofocus/flash as standard), 256GB on-board storage space and QNX. Then I would give the Style the same treatment, and then the Torch. I would also ensure 36-hour constant HEAVY usage battery life.

While all that is happening, I wll be going into stores, and educating people on the benefits of their devices for their chosen carriers, according to the demographic. This would be done using a BlackBerry Presenter (and I would carry my trust 8520 to tether to the Presenter, go figure). I would promote the accessories like nobody's business as well (like the Presenter and the Stereo Gateway, amongst others). I would also push on the benefits of using a Playbook with it.

ALPHA stage devices would be available to use (or depending on how well they've been built, BETA or GAMMA stage device). {ALPHA refers to Prototype, BETA refers to a phone in testing, and GAMMA refers to a release device}.

After this, I would strike up deal after deal with the carriers.

And finall, App World. I would waive the $200 startup fee, and instead make it so a small percentage of your profits from apps (5%) would be given to RIM.

After this, I would then go to the UK with the same strategy.

When targeting the UK. I would approach it with the following strategy.
    Again, 4 major carriers:
    O2-UK: Style (tends to attract the rougher guys)
    Orange: Torch (young demographic)
    Vodafone: Storm
    T-Mobile: Bold
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 01-10-11 at 09:23 PM.
    01-10-11 09:16 PM
    IF I was at the Helm of RIM, my strategy for combating the iPhone 4 announcement with Verizon would be:

Joint marketing effort with Verizon and target the 16-18 year old demographic,
    and Family Plans, Pushing 9330's like crazy into the teenage group, so that in 18 months time when they are off to University and buying their own phones and I have a competitive media phone I will have faithful BB users.

I would Also do a Marketing push with Sprint and the Style, and AT&T with the Torch,

My business sales group would be addressing Verizon corporate customers talking to them about BES features, I would have a presentation to re-educate the management about features, and also try and slide in MVS solutions to Multi national company's
    clever marketing is not going to "save" rim this time. they are overmatched.
    01-10-11 09:24 PM
    clever marketing is not going to "save" rim this time. they are overmatched.
    agreed,
    They can't beat the iPhone at the iPhone game,
    so they should refocus attention until they have something that can be comparable,

hence my "clever" marketing
    01-10-11 09:27 PM

Torch out sells All but the Samsung Galaxy for Android Phones in Canada

if you take iPhone out of the equation the Torch WAS a success, and continues to be one.
    debatable. even if it were true, it's about the only place you can get a serious BB in the USA. Not to mention that rimm is spending enormous marketing dollars to push this out to unsuspecting buyers.
    01-10-11 09:27 PM
    agreed,
    They can't beat the iPhone at the iPhone game,
    so they should refocus attention until they have something that can be comparable,

hence my "clever" marketing
    and when do you expect them to have something comprable to IOS 300k apps and android's 200k? once you fall behind in a tech business you can't catch up. One company in waterloo has no chance of out innovating and executing two massive ecosystems with 3 year head starts, not to mention microsoft which is now finally serious about wireless.
    01-10-11 09:29 PM
    Proposal for the sure to arise app Argument,
    I'm a RIM hopeful, but Can't see how they could win a head on head battle with iPhone, with No Apps, people seem to think an App Launching pad is a user friendly OS, so if RIM were to make an app launching pad OS with minimal apps, how do they win the fight?

EDIT:
    Thanks for bringing the topic back
    Appworld needs to be fixed to encourage app developers and quickly. Encourage apps of all kinds, not just the ones with a serious use. In the future, if Adobe AIR caught on it would help immensely not having to code for specific platforms. (I think AIR is what I'm thinking of, if not, sorry, it's late...)

I suspect it would be fairly hard to out-Apple Apple, within the constraints of what a BB needs to be to be a BB, but I wonder if it is really necessary.

I don't think even QNX and TAT can combine to trump Apple's OS for perceived user friendliness, but as I mentioned, they might not have to. They might only have to make it friendly and intuitive enough that it causes the advantages of BB devices to be sufficient to convince BB users and even users of other platforms to jump into a new BB contract.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 01-10-11 at 09:35 PM.
    01-10-11 09:32 PM
    WOW! on this Board Android fans are almost worse than Apple fans are on The internet, a Thread Specifically about iPhone and Blackberry has devolved into, my Android is better than your Blackberry
    that's worthy of a "wow" from you?? How long have you been a member here? (rhetorical question). certainly, you aren't really surprised by the fanboism here.
    01-10-11 09:42 PM
    How is the Style a flop? I heard it was selling quite well. It gets slammed with regularity in the Forums, but if that doesn't affect how many get sold, who cares?

"The biggest flop of all"? Do you think if you say it like that everyone will just nod their heads and believe you?

Never said it was recent

do we remember what the topic was?
    I remember the thread's topic, and I pretty much agree with you.

The first Bold had a wow factor. The 480x320 resolution packed into that space was a huge jump for BB. And then the Storm came out with a 360x480 screen, the same as its iPhone contemporary, while other full-qwerty BBs appeared with 480x360 screens. A crazy-high pixels/inch ratio at the time.

Fast forward to now...
    3rd year in a row that the "flagship" BBs were 360x480 touch devices or a 480 x 320/360 non-touch device.

People care about the screen resolution! I love BlackBerry's and probably will stay loyal for the foreseeable future, but I have to admit that most of the recent releases were weak & lazy efforts when it comes to their specs.

I was so disappointed when I heard months ago that the Torch would drop with a 360x480 display. I love it, but would love it so much more with even a slightly higher-res display, like 480x720 keeping about the same pixels per inch as the recent Bolds since the Torch screen is so much physically larger.

They needed 2 things. The first was advertising. Honestly, ANY advertising, and now they've done that.

The other is to bring back the wow factor, pure & simple.
    01-10-11 09:42 PM
    That's the great thing about Android, you can choose your hardware and what suits you best. You have multiple choices, versus only a few like you do now with BlackBerry...
    A good point, my friend.
    Here's the other side to that thought:

With BBs you hear people wondering if they should hold out on upgrading their hardware in case something better comes out.
    But more than that are people finding ways to do an early upgrade, because they new this or that new BB is going to be the best of that form factor for a year.

With Android, there's no mystery. There is something better coming out. At any given time there's a half dozen better things coming out, and everyone and their grandma knows it. As Android contracts age, they're going to run into problems. A lot of people will decide they might as well wait since a bigger and better Android is just around the corner...
    01-10-11 09:56 PM
    that is why you sign a 1 year contract and upgrade in 10 months.
    01-10-11 10:00 PM
130 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD