I can see RIM leaving the US in the coming years. Carriers get a variety of Android phones daily when RIM will occasionally throw out a half-assed smartphone with barely any improvements over the previous. (9300 series anyone?)
    Sorry, that's just silly. I've seen these thoughts about RIM leaving the US to concentrate overseas. Guess what? They'll concentrate on both like they have been.

And I agree that there are some BB models that are superfluous and just released for the sake of releasing something, like the recent Curves.
    But is Android better? Why so many different models? It's insane. It's like there's people working at Samsung, LG, and HTC that get a bonus for every new model they release.
    01-10-11 07:43 PM
    you are right. lashing out at Apple will not make my BB boot any quicker but it does make me feel better.
    I don't know why everyone needs to say something else is bad, to like what they have more.

If you like your BB, good for you. I like me my Torch a whole bunch. That's all that matters, not how "good" or "bad" other devices/platforms are.

And I know full well that the iPhone4 is a great device. Aside from the Antennagate thing...
    But seriously, that display rocks!

Why can't people just be happy with what they have, and let others feel the same.

I have seen this before with such things as Cabbage Patch Dolls, Tickle Me Elmo, GameBoy etc... and where are they now?
    Actually Cabbage Patch Kids have come back!
    I was shocked when someone gave one to my little girl last year.
    01-10-11 07:52 PM
    And I agree that there are some BB models that are superfluous and just released for the sake of releasing something, like the recent Curves.
    But is Android better? Why so many different models? It's insane. It's like there's people working at Samsung, LG, and HTC that get a bonus for every new model they release.
    That's the great thing about Android, you can choose your hardware and what suits you best. You have multiple choices, versus only a few like you do now with BlackBerry...
    01-10-11 07:52 PM
    WOW! on this Board Android fans are almost worse than Apple fans are on The internet, a Thread Specifically about iPhone and Blackberry has devolved into, my Android is better than your Blackberry
    01-10-11 07:56 PM
    Sorry, that's just silly. I've seen these thoughts about RIM leaving the US to concentrate overseas. Guess what? They'll concentrate on both like they have been.

It's not so silly anymore. BlackBerry sales are dropping rapidly.

Apple releases the iPhone 4 "This changes everything. Again."

then

Android begins using 4G on the Evo "4G fast meets Android"

then

...RIM releases another Curve...

That's an exaggeration somewhat, but RIM just isn't setting trends anymore. They just throw out more of the same phones.

Just look at Palm. I think that's where RIM is headed. Just releasing little upgrades once in a while for their loyal users while the rest of the world advances around them.
    01-10-11 07:57 PM
    WOW! on this Board Android fans are almost worse than Apple fans are on The internet, a Thread Specifically about iPhone and Blackberry has devolved into, my Android is better than your Blackberry
    Dude, get a grip. This is the internet, anything goes. You're on an open forum with almost 3 Million registered members. Deal with it...
    01-10-11 07:59 PM
    Dude, get a grip. This is the internet, anything goes. You're on an open forum with almost 3 Million registered members. Deal with it...
    Beauty of an Open forum, I can comment just as you can,
    Who cares about organization and the topic at hand!
    01-10-11 08:04 PM
    Carriers get a variety of Android phones daily when RIM will occasionally throw out a half-assed smartphone with barely any improvements over the previous. (9300 series anyone?)
    You say that like every Android phone is some huge success and that each one is a new generation of phones with amazing new features.
    01-10-11 08:04 PM
    I don't know why everyone needs to say something else is bad, to like what they have more.

If you like your BB, good for you. I like me my Torch a whole bunch. That's all that matters, not how "good" or "bad" other devices/platforms are.

And I know full well that the iPhone4 is a great device. Aside from the Antennagate thing...
    But seriously, that display rocks!

Why can't people just be happy with what they have, and let others feel the same.

Actually Cabbage Patch Kids have come back!
    I was shocked when someone gave one to my little girl last year.

OK I stand corrected on the Cabbage Patch Kid, thing.

I do not think the Iphone is a bad phone, I kinda just do not agree with Apple's marketing, "Our way or no way". I would like to see them offer some alternative set ups to their model. Maybe a hard key board, maybe some thing to make it diff besides the fact that it is another year and another Iphone model, just like the cookie cutter model of last year. Offer a few models with some difference to the public (besides color), otherwise it looks like they are saying "it can only be done this one way."
    01-10-11 08:09 PM
    It's not so silly anymore. BlackBerry sales are dropping rapidly.

Apple releases the iPhone 4 "This changes everything. Again."

then

Android begins using 4G on the Evo "4G fast meets Android"

then

...RIM releases another Curve...

That's an exaggeration somewhat, but RIM just isn't setting trends anymore. They just throw out more of the same phones.

Just look at Palm. I think that's where RIM is headed. Just releasing little upgrades once in a while for their loyal users while the rest of the world advances around them.

RIM's Sales have not dropped, their Market share has, that is a different thing, but they are certainly not growing at the rate they should be, and IMO they are targeting the wrong demographic with their current line of advertising, and are not working closely enough with Carriers in North America to put what they have into the right hands,

in the 80's McDonalds Started targeting the 5-8 year old Market, in the 90's the 12-16 Market, and in 2000's the 18-25 Market,
    They grew their business and menu with a specific age demographic, and it turned them from having a real battle with Burger king over fast food dominance to being the clear winner, over any 2 combined fast food chains,

Apple actually did the same thing, they Started with the Teens with the ipod touch, then moved to the 18-25 with the iPhone, and moving from the iPhone to iPad adds extends the 18-25 demographic into the 18-35.
    01-10-11 08:10 PM
    You say that like every Android phone is some huge success and that each one is a new generation of phones with amazing new features.
    At least you get a variety of choices. CES has a handful of new 4G Androids while RIM kept bragging about their PlayBook.
    01-10-11 08:10 PM
    There is no way that RIM will leave the US market, and anyone who thinks so is absolutely crazy.

The iPhone coming to VZW is more of a threat to Android sales than it is to BB sales. As long as that data hog doesn't lock up my beloved VZW data network than I really don't care if it comes to VZW. RIM needs to market itself as an efficient option to the competition, an option that takes advantage of the lower priced data plans (which will be a battle because the carriers want us all on the high priced plans). Focus on the efficiency of the platform, and the fact that aside from the multimedia features, the BB is a far better messaging device than any iPhone or Android, they will get some people deciding to go with BB as opposed to the others.

Nothing wrong with the iPhone or Android, but neither of them are the pinnicle of smartphone perfection, and the BB isn't either. There is a platform for every user, RIM needs to position themselves toward the user they are best suited for.
    01-10-11 08:13 PM
    No they have not been but each carrier would like you to believe each is a success, which is how they make money now.
    01-10-11 08:13 PM
    Moral of this thread: RIM needs to release a new BlackBerry on Verizon if it wants to have any hope when the iPhone arrives.
    01-10-11 08:31 PM
    Moral of this thread: RIM needs to release a new BlackBerry on Verizon if it wants to have any hope when the iPhone arrives.
    I fail to see how this is the Moral of this thread.

in reality even if the Playbook was launching as a 4" screen Storm in March, they wouldn't be able to combat the iPhone on a level playing field, the iPhone has a better app store, better following, and more proven OS for a primary device.

RIM would be better positioned to strengthen it's offerings in alternative markets than go head to head with the iPhone, because Android is doing that ( 3 devices will be released taking away Apples claim for the thinnest Smartphone! can't wait to see that come out!)
    01-10-11 08:34 PM
    Quick, in 5 seconds or less, name RIM's last "huge" success.
    01-10-11 08:34 PM

damn couldn't do 5 seconds because of the 10Char limit
    01-10-11 08:36 PM

That was almost 3 years ago.
    01-10-11 08:38 PM
    At least you get a variety of choices. CES has a handful of new 4G Androids while RIM kept bragging about their PlayBook.
    Half the Android devices shown at CES probably won't make it to market and the ones that do will have a newer better version out in 3-6 months. At that rate, they'll be on their 4th version of a phone before the 4G is even useful...
    01-10-11 08:39 PM

win.

TBH, i doubt CASH had a android vs iphone vs blackberry flamewar intention when he created this thread...can't we just agree each to their own, be like deRusset and stick to the topic?
    CASH likes this.
    01-10-11 08:40 PM
    The iPhone coming to VZW is more of a threat to Android sales than it is to BB sales.
    That's because Android has virtually killed Blackberry at VZW anyway. Last year, Blackberry's accounted for about 90% of VZW's smartphone sales. One year later, that number has fallen below 20%. So yes, your are correct. The VZW iPhone does pose more of a threat to Android sales than it does to BB sales because BB sales don't exist.
    dutchtender likes this.
    01-10-11 08:41 PM
    Q3 2010.

5 sec rule doesn't count because I only see your posts when quoted.
    01-10-11 08:41 PM

9700 was pretty successful too!

Do we judge success on a single model launch?

How successful was the Eris? Backflip? CliqXT? Nexux One?
    The iPhone 4 launched with great success, but how many people had antenna problems (and still do) and have had proximity sensor issues (and still do). How many Storm users are still pissed off about their experience with their revolutionary device?

Every manufacturer has their flops. It can't be judged on the success of a single model. That being said, the 9000 is still my favorite BB model, even though I've never had one...
    01-10-11 08:42 PM
    That was almost 3 years ago.
    Thank you.
    01-10-11 08:43 PM
    Q3 2010.

5 sec rule doesn't count because I only see your posts when quoted.
    Yes, they sold a million Curves in Zimbabwe.
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    01-10-11 08:44 PM
130 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD