BlackBerry Stratego

Let's play a game, shall we? Let's say you're Mike or Jim. You know VZW is about to unleash the iPhone 4, what do you do? You currently have BOGO for the $50 Curve 3G 9330, $100 Bold 9650, and the $50 Tour 9630 (no BOGO for the $200 Storm 2). For this game we'll just use the $200 price of the 16GB iPhone 4.

So... how do you combat Apple's iPhone 4 on VZW move? Lower your prices? Release new devices? Hey that rhymes.
    01-10-11 06:07 PM
    For one thing... the IPhone 4 will not be released for $200.00 Two, comparing a BB with a full qwerty board and a touch screen is not fair even either. I would take the Bold over the Apple toy of the month without blinking twice. Then again I am also the person who gave away 2 Ipods that were given to me because I would not be dragged into the Apple way of thinking. By the way I also returned 2 Android phones recently because they did not do the simple things correctly... like make a call.
    01-10-11 06:12 PM
    For one thing... the IPhone 4 will not be released for $200.00 Two, comparing a BB with a full qwerty board and a touch screen is not fair even either. I would take the Bold over the Apple toy of the month without blinking twice. Then again I am also the person who gave away 2 Ipods that were given to me because I would not be dragged into the Apple way of thinking. By the way I also returned 2 Android phones recently because they did not do the simple things correctly... like make a call.
    Why the Apple hate? They make good products. I jumped the Windows boat a year ago and I've never been happier with a computer. And at least sell the iPods for some good money.

As for the RIM strategy to combat the iPhone, they'll probably release a sequel to the Storm series. Torch is their response to the iPhone on AT&T, but the Torch is stuck to AT&T just like the iPhone was.
    01-10-11 06:21 PM
    RIM's advantages over Apple:

RIM produces reliable products at a fair price.
    RIM's products do not require the purchase of aftermarket utilities to provide the functions of other phones.
    RIM trusts its consumers to change their own batteries without voiding the warranty on the equipment.
    RIM does not require you to pay for ringtones.
    RIM will help you with your BlackBerry even after it's a year old.
    All carriers have representatives trained to support BlackBerry software issues (like JVM errors).
    It does not cost $200 to replace the broken screen on a BlackBerry.
    RIM does not release one phone per year with minor improvements over the previous model. RIM shotguns many device configurations and features to cover nearly everybody's needs.
    RIM doesn't need to call their products "BlackBerry Phones" so you know they can also make calls.

And the biggest one of all, it costs less than $5 per month to get insurance on a BlackBerry.
    01-10-11 06:28 PM
    RIM's advantages over Apple:

RIM produces reliable products at a fair price.
    RIM's products do not require the purchase of aftermarket utilities to provide the functions of other phones.
    RIM trusts its consumers to change their own batteries without voiding the warranty on the equipment.
    RIM does not require you to pay for ringtones.
    RIM will help you with your BlackBerry even after it's a year old.
    All carriers have representatives trained to support BlackBerry software issues (like JVM errors).
    It does not cost $200 to replace the broken screen on a BlackBerry.
    RIM does not release one phone per year with minor improvements over the previous model. RIM shotguns many device configurations and features to cover nearly everybody's needs.
    RIM doesn't need to call their products "BlackBerry Phones" so you know they can also make calls.

And the biggest one of all, it costs less than $5 per month to get insurance on a BlackBerry.
    Is that a joke? None of those are even valid. Lashing out at Apple isn't going to make your BlackBerry boot any faster.
    01-10-11 06:35 PM
    Actually, not installing a metric ton of trash makes my BlackBerry boot up pretty quickly, not that I ever need to restart it more than once every few months.
    01-10-11 06:45 PM
    combat? they've lost the war. And it didn't even take IOS. Android pretty much threw them out of Verizon. Rimm is pretty much done in USA. But they are big in Java Indonesia!
    01-10-11 06:46 PM
    really since when are phones priced over $200? where on your "talking points" do you get that from? As for a toy...well people are dumping your workberry and picking up "toys"by the millions. because there is more to life than work.
    tmelon and JoelTruckerDude like this.
    01-10-11 06:51 PM
    really since when are phones priced over $200? where on your "talking points" do you get that from? As for a toy...well people are dumping your workberry and picking up "toys"by the millions. because there is more to life than work.
    *high five*
    01-10-11 06:54 PM
    RIM doesn't stand a chance against iPhone or any other high end phone on any carrier.

RIP
    Is that a joke? None of those are even valid. Lashing out at Apple isn't going to make your BlackBerry boot any faster.
    Most of them are valid. And you are right. lashing out at Apple will not make my BB boot any quicker but it does make me feel better. I am one who just can not follow blindly down a path someone has laid out stating "Follow us, it is our way only". I will admit Apple does make products that the public will stand in line for hours just to hand over their money. I have seen this before with such things as Cabbage Patch Dolls, Tickle Me Elmo, GameBoy etc... and where are they now? It is all just another toy that has to be replaced in 8 months because it is not the latest and greatest and this is the marketing Apple sells products based on.
    imuphere likes this.
    If iPhone and Droids do email, documents, calendar etc...how are they toys? I'm not getting this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-11 06:55 PM
    Lashing out at Apple isn't going to make your BlackBerry boot any faster.
    Think about it this way would care about Reliability (blackberry) or Entertainment (iPhone). Btw todays blackberries like the Torch does have enough entertainment and multimedia to compete with the iPhone. So I would go with a bb, where you can find entertainment and reliablity.

wassab likes this.
    01-10-11 06:55 PM
    RIM doesn't stand a chance against iPhone or any other high end phone on any carrier.

RIP
    I can see RIM leaving the US in the coming years. Carriers get a variety of Android phones daily when RIM will occasionally throw out a half-assed smartphone with barely any improvements over the previous. (9300 series anyone?)
    01-10-11 06:57 PM
    If iPhone and Droids do email, documents, calendar etc...how are they toys? I'm not getting this?

That's the same ridiculous argument used by BB fanboys and fangals. It's just lashing out at a better made more advanced device. iPhone in no way shape or form is a toy, BB useres can only wish their devices can run as smooth as iPhone.
    devGOD likes this.
    01-10-11 07:00 PM
    I can see RIM leaving the US in the coming years. Carriers get a variety of Android phones daily when RIM will occasionally throw out a half-assed smartphone with barely any improvements over the previous. (9300 series anyone?)
    RIM's biggest improvement was trackball to track pad, YAWNNNN! Oh yeah then there's sure press
    01-10-11 07:02 PM

I can buy a child's laptop these days for less then 100.00 that do all of these, that is not the point, I am not anti Apple because I think they make a subpar product. I do not like Apple because it is either their way or go some place else. Android at least makes an attempt for an open market, which I can commend them for, I was just not pleased with their products to date. Nice and shiny but came short on things I need from a phone, to have battery life when it is time to make a call. As for big screen and being able to watch video and or documents, I have a laptop with me all the time for work and it does batter at all those things except... making a phone call.
    01-10-11 07:05 PM
    RIM's biggest improvement was trackball to track pad, YAWNNNN! Oh yeah then there's sure press
    I kind of preferred the ball... And surepress... Wow... That's not revolutionary. It just makes your screen one big button. Entertainment on a Storm consists of playing with your clicky screen.
    01-10-11 07:05 PM
    I have a laptop with me all the time for work and it does batter at all those things except... making a phone call.
    The 8 minute reboot on a Blackberry is hard to match on non phone devices, now thats unique
    01-10-11 07:09 PM
    IF I was at the Helm of RIM, my strategy for combating the iPhone 4 announcement with Verizon would be:

Joint marketing effort with Verizon and target the 16-18 year old demographic,
    and Family Plans, Pushing 9330's like crazy into the teenage group, so that in 18 months time when they are off to University and buying their own phones and I have a competitive media phone I will have faithful BB users.

I would Also do a Marketing push with Sprint and the Style, and AT&T with the Torch,

My business sales group would be addressing Verizon corporate customers talking to them about BES features, I would have a presentation to re-educate the management about features, and also try and slide in MVS solutions to Multi national company's
    01-10-11 07:15 PM
    IF I was at the Helm of RIM, my strategy for combating the iPhone 4 announcement with Verizon would be:

and Family Plans, Pushing 9330's like crazy into the teenage group, so that in 18 months time when they are off to University and buying their own phones and I have a competitive media phone I will have faithful BB users.

I would Also do a Marketing push with Sprint and the Style, and AT&T with the Torch,

My business sales group would be addressing Verizon corporate customers talking to them about BES features, I would have a presentation to re-educate the management about features, and also try and slide in MVS solutions to Multi national company's
    your hired
    01-10-11 07:17 PM

Anyone who is looking at a new iPhone wouldn't even consider an 9330. That hideous screen is just a turn off when buying a phone. I also wouldn't push the Style on Sprint seeing that enough people already think it's ugly. The current lineup that RIM has isn't going to turn anyone away from the iPhone that Verizon has been waiting so impatiently for.
    01-10-11 07:24 PM
    The current lineup that RIM has isn't going to turn anyone away from the iPhone that Verizon has been waiting so impatiently for.
    End of thread
    tmelon likes this.
    01-10-11 07:27 PM
    Anyone who is looking at a new iPhone wouldn't even consider an 9330. That hideous screen is just a turn off when buying a phone. I also wouldn't push the Style on Sprint seeing that enough people already think it's ugly. The current lineup that RIM has isn't going to turn anyone away from the iPhone that Verizon has been waiting so impatiently for.
    I'm not targeting iPhone users.

I am targeting the demographic that will be the Smartphone buyers in 2012/2013, when I have a more matured QNX phone line.

I hate my 9300, compared to my 8330, 9630 and 9800, the 9300 is Siht!
    but it is a great entry level txting phone, limited browsing so parents needn't worry as much, and solidifies the txting crazed kids love of BBM.

The style is a great phone for the Flip Phone affectionado, and my target market as Sprint would be the Construction market with people who are in dusty markets, and rough on their phones.

When you don't have a comparable product, you can't battle it head on, so you must flank by targeting the other markets, and build the brand in those markets.
    Instead of losing ground, you change the ground in which you control
    CASH likes this.
    01-10-11 07:34 PM
    The Style's certainly not for me, but it has actually been Sprint's top-selling BB. The consumers make a device a hit or a failure, not the critics.

And while I agree with you on an iPhone4 being superior to a BB 9330, there are many people who would take the 9330, whether because they don't want a purely touchscreen device or because they want to have BBM, pure & simple.

Give your own opinions, sure, but you lose credibility when you talk about what "anyone" would do. (Especially when you're wrong)
    01-10-11 07:37 PM
130 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD