Hi everyone. I recently went into a Carphone Warehouse store in Nottingham (U.K.), where I bought my Passport 18 months ago, as I needed to enquire about phone repairs (my Passport was run over by a bus recently and even though its a bit bent it still works perfectly... but that's for another thread!).
    While in the store I asked if they sold the Priv. I have used Android and iOS phones in the past but always found they fell way short of what I needed for business - only BB10 meets my company's requirements. But, with hints that BB10 may be dead before too long, I have been curious to at least give the Priv a look. The sales assistant showed me a dummy display model Priv (the body without any internals, and just a sticker in place of a screen to show what the homescreen would look like). I asked of there was a demo Priv in store I could try out, and he said they were not sent one. I asked how the phone was selling and he said simply "It doesn't." There is a small Blackberry Priv display stand at the back of the store, but the demo units on the stand while I was there were a Samsung and a Sony device. During conversation he told me that Carphone Warehouse's opinion seemed to be that Blackberry put too little effort into selling the Priv, and "its almost as bad as with BB10 - no effort at marketing". He said there was no advertising through mainstream media, compared to almost any other device manufacturer; who all have regular TV, radio, magazine and newspaper adverts, and the store was given no marketing materials. "They don't sell because no one knows about them except people who already have a Blackberry." He said BB10 users have come in looking to change their phone, enquired about the Priv, but without a demo model to test they invariably select another Android or go to iOS.

I discussed this with a friend who is a sales manager for Vodafone, and he said pretty much the same thing: companies that can't be bothered to invest in marketing don't sell much of their product, and with smart phones word of mouth is definitely not enough; even though there have been lots of very positive reviews for the Priv online, in the same spaces there has also been a lot of negative speculation about the company and the future of BB10, and far too little communication from the company either way. "No marketing plus no communication equals no confidence."

I thought those were interesting perspectives from people working in mobile sales in the U.K. (though of course its only 2 people). I love the Passport and also regularly use a Z10 (haters gonna hate, but I have always found the Z10 to be a great phone), and I really hope beyond all reason that Blackberry continues to develop BB10, or perhaps produces an even better BB OS in the near future. But I can't help feeling frustrated that the marketing and communications from Blackberry seem to be so poor.
    Any other thoughts, or insight from other service providers / retailers?
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-28-16 01:57 PM
    Oops, forgot to state that I am asking about Blackberry in the context of the UK market - I have no idea how well Blackberry devices are advertised elsewhere.
    02-28-16 02:05 PM
    It's almost as if they're trying to fail....

Posted via CB10
    02-28-16 02:05 PM
    It's for same in Hull, I went to the 2 main Car phone warehouse shops, one didn't sell it at all, the second had a dummy like yours and nothing to actually try ( sales assistant was a smug little sh*t), and I'm a sales assistant myself

Posted via CB10
    02-28-16 02:17 PM
    I would go back to those stores and ask the manager.....No! Tell the manager..... Uh uh! DEMAND (nicely) that he get in touch with his marketing people and get some real demo's Pronto!
    I'm in the US and there are stores that just aren't interested in carrying the Blackberry brand, So it could be partially the stores fault, too.

Of course, I hope you have more than just those two stores to choose from.

Good luck,

Cheers
    02-28-16 02:23 PM
    The reason why John Chen is CEO right now instead of Thorsten Heins is that the latter was willing to bet the company on BlackBerry hardware and he lost. There's no question that Chen's hardware strategy is low-risk/low-reward - it's what he was hired to do. He even mentions, in interviews, his battles with people in the company who still want to make hardware.

It's not incompetence. It's intentional. He's only going for the low-hanging fruit - the people who look to buy the next BlackBerry. He's not looking to buy new hardware customers. That would be way too expensive.
    02-28-16 02:29 PM
    ... There's no question that Chen's hardware strategy is low-risk/low-reward - it's what he was hired to do. ...

It's not incompetence. It's intentional. He's only going for the low-hanging fruit - the people who look to buy the next BlackBerry. He's not looking to buy new hardware customers. That would be way too expensive.
    Absolutely right. For BlackBerry to come back it must first survive.

BlackBerry started as a business tool. Only later did people see the usefulness in a consumer-sense. I suspect that the vision is to retrace that history.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 03:49 PM