Ok I'm fairly new to blackberry security n I was wondering how secure is my blackberry... I've heard of how the iphone's OS tracks your every move no mater what u do .... And well it got me thinking about my security sense I have my security and fire wall turned on...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-11 11:31 AM
    Blackberry is the MOST secure platform out there. Which is why you'll NEVER hear of a jailbroken or rooted BB.

Last edited by rdiddy_25; 04-21-11 at 12:15 PM.
    04-21-11 11:39 AM
    Yea I agree with rdiddy_25 I switched to blackberry from iphone because of security

04-21-11 11:41 AM
    Blackberry rocks out with it's **** out when it comes to security.
    04-21-11 11:43 AM
    The answer depends on several factors.

1. What part of the World are you in?

2. Do you use third party applications?

If you live in North America or Europe, only Law Enforsement agnecies can gain access to your communications using BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS).

If you live in the Middle East or South Asia, there is no requirement for a Law Enforsement agency to get involved. All communications are routinely monitored and data mined. That now includes BIS.

If your BlackBerry is Enterprise connected, you will have the more advanced BES with high strength encryption. Nobody can monitor that.

If you you install a third party application you risk comprimise of everything, including the GPS chip.
    04-21-11 12:35 PM
    Not only that, but you can encrypt the data that is on your BB device. By going under the options menu > Security Options > Encryption, and you can enable it in there. A nice, secure platform.
    04-21-11 01:25 PM
    Not only that, but you can encrypt the data that is on your BB device. By going under the options menu > Security Options > Encryption, and you can enable it in there. A nice, secure platform.
    What does that do and will it interfere with data or voice communications ?
    04-21-11 05:06 PM
    If you live in North America or Europe, only Law Enforsement agnecies can gain access to your communications using BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS).
    Communications might be compromised, but the BlackBerry's encrypted data is secure.

If you live in the Middle East or South Asia, there is no requirement for a Law Enforsement agency to get involved. All communications are routinely monitored and data mined. That now includes BIS.
    RIM caved to the demands of those governments? Please elaborate.

04-21-11 05:39 PM
    What does that do and will it interfere with data or voice communications ?
    It won't interfere with data or voice. It will encrypt your BlackBerry's data when your device is locked (you'll have to use a password). Media card files can also be encrypted, but there's a lot to learn with that (and regular BlackBerry security) so you should learn all about it before you encrypt. Many people don't use the proper settings and find later that all their media files are unreadable when they transfer their cards to different devices. Another note: custom contact alerts/ringtones won't work if your device is locked while encryption is in use and you've include your address book in encryption.

04-21-11 05:48 PM
    A Blackberry is only as secure as the user allows it to be. Third party apps and browsing the web can be easy paths to making the device less secure.
    04-21-11 05:54 PM
    Well I'm glad to hear that ... And yes I've already enable the incryption on the phone witch I got to admit having this phone is lot more fun than my palm pri .... But r there n e secure third party apps !?

04-21-11 07:04 PM
    Paranoid much? Anyhow, it's the data that's encrypted as long as it's through BIS so any 3rd party apps that communicate that way will fall into that category.

And FYI, if the authorities want your info they will get it, you can't stop them.
    04-21-11 07:06 PM
    And FYI, if the authorities want your info they will get it, you can't stop them.
    So BlackBerry's AES encryption of data stored on the device and media card is NOT secure? "Authorities" can crack AES encryption?

04-21-11 07:13 PM
    simplest answer, the BlackBerry platform is Secure.
    breaks in security whether it involves YOU ( regular person) or a company are usually "user error" and a tiny bit of malicious activity from somebody else.

Ask yourself, how many times have you given your email address? whether to take a survey or to get a FREE something from the store?
    Next question is, how strong is your password.. Surprisingly, a lot of people still uses "password" or "1234" as their password.
    having said that, even if you own a BlackBerry, if you're not careful to how you keep your information safe, you won't be immune to hacking or an invasion of your privacy.

But somethings are simply out of your control. Just like with Epsilon, the company who holds most of the email addresses of consumers from Big companies recently had a breach.
    04-21-11 07:15 PM
    So BlackBerry's AES encryption of data stored on the device and media card is NOT secure? "Authorities" can crack AES encryption?

They can't crack the encryption, but they can serve a warrant to rim in the case of bis or the company in the case of bes.

There have been several court cases with the not so uncommon insider trading scandals that included evidence from bb communications including bbm.

If they want the info, they can get it.

04-21-11 09:56 PM
    Nice... Well I guess I got a lot more studying and reading to do !!

04-21-11 10:09 PM
    Nice... Well I guess I got a lot more studying and reading to do !!

Don't worry, it won't be a boring read.
    and the more you know about a BlackBerry the BETTER it is, performance wise.
    little things, like keyboard shortcuts..
    04-21-11 10:17 PM
    When in using encryption can this affect your ability to restore from backups?
    Key related issue?

Thanks,

Tim
    04-21-11 11:16 PM
    Don't worry, it won't be a boring read.
    and the more you know about a BlackBerry the BETTER it is, performance wise.
    little things, like keyboard shortcuts..
    N e suggestion where 2 get started ??? Or n e good papers on the matter ???

04-22-11 12:20 AM
    N e suggestion where 2 get started ??? Or n e good papers on the matter ???

You don't have to look far my friend, you're in the right place. Follow the link:
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-lecture-series

Look around on the forums too. By reading different threads there's no doubt you'll find a bunch of new tips and information that you didn't know before. Some of those lecture series articles are a little old, but they are still relevant to todays BB.
    04-22-11 08:00 AM

RIM caved to the demands of those governments? Please elaborate.

What we do know from the past year, BIS is encrypted and compressed in transmission, but all BlackBerry share a common security certificate. Any device, including the simulators, can decrypt BIS.

That means, in Developed Countrys, Law Enforsement agencies can apply for a Court Order to monitor a specific account(s). They do recieve email and BBM content in clear text, with timestamps and trail of custody to make them admissable in Court.

It also means, developing nations, where legal requriements differ or there is no concept of human rights, any agency that can monitor communications, can also decrypt BIS.

India acknowlaged they have that technology, provided by Research in Motion, but they do not have the technology to apply to BES with strong encryption. Nobody does, it was created to insure that.

Radius makes a good point:

FYI, if the authorities want your info they will get it, you can't stop them.

Lets say you have information stored on your AES encrypted BlackBerry and you have a password to gain access.

What do you think your chances of keeping the password confidential are when you are being tortured in some developing nation?
    04-22-11 10:46 AM
    Sorry if I'm bringing back a slightly old thread, but am I to understand that BIS logs all communication made through it?

How secure are these servers? No good having a locked down device if your info is on an unsecure server, after all, and with the recent PSN hack I'm getting slightly wary of keeping data in "the cloud".
    05-28-11 12:14 PM
    It sounds like Biss is no more secure than any other CDMA service. I hear people on here all the time talking about how secure Blackberry is but Bess is the only one that is really secure & I think a lot of people are misinform about the Biss security which most of us have.
    05-28-11 12:44 PM
    Sorry if I'm bringing back a slightly old thread, but am I to understand that BIS logs all communication made through it?

How secure are these servers? No good having a locked down device if your info is on an unsecure server, after all, and with the recent PSN hack I'm getting slightly wary of keeping data in "the cloud".
    I don't think anything's safe in the cloud. On BES, your transmitted data is safe unless someone takes possession of your server. The thing I like about BlackBerry is its device level security; if you set it up properly, even someone who takes physical possession of your device (thief, adversary, police, etc.) can't decrypt your data without your password -- not even RIM. I also like having an email account (my @carrier.blackberry.net) that can't be accessed from a computer terminal anywhere.

Last edited by T�nis; 05-28-11 at 01:12 PM.
    jerry12 likes this.
    05-28-11 01:07 PM
    All debating aside, blackberry is the most secure mobile platform out there, nobody can deny that. Is it 100% secure? No, nothing is.

05-28-11 02:42 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD