is bb protect secure enough?
    07-19-12 07:07 AM
    secure enough for? You will have to be more specific.
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-19-12 07:08 AM
    Yea not entirely sure what you mean...but it works very well and effectively from my experiences
    07-19-12 07:14 AM
    I feel like he means if your data is secured. Is it easily "hackable" or it's stored safely somewhere on RIM's servers.

If I had to answer to that, yes it is secure, you probably have nothing to worry about.
    07-19-12 07:32 AM
    How the BlackBerry Protect Infrastructure protects the
    backed up smartphone data that it stores
    The BlackBerry� Protect™ Infrastructure encrypts BlackBerry smartphone data using an AES-256 encryption key
    before it stores the data in the data center. The key is generated when you first log into BlackBerry Protect using
    BlackBerry� ID. The BlackBerry Protect Infrastructure stores the encryption key separately from the backed up data.
    The BlackBerry Protect Infrastructure only stores the data from the previous four backups that you made. If you
    uninstall the BlackBerry Protect application from your smartphone, all of your backed up data is deleted automatically
    six months later. If you unsubscribe from BlackBerry Protect using the BlackBerry Protect website, BlackBerry Protect
    is designed to delete your backed up data immediately.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...kBerry+Protect
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 07-19-12 at 08:35 AM.
    07-19-12 07:42 AM
    You're questioning BB security? Noooooooo..... Ye of little faith...
    07-19-12 09:25 AM
    1) Launch BB Protect
    2) Press BB Key
    3) Tap "Options"
    4) Tap "Sign Out"

You will not be prompted for the password and your phone will be disconnected from the BB Protect servers, meaning remote wipe, lock and location features will be unavailable.

Short answer: It's as secure as a sticky note on your monitor with your password on it.
    07-19-12 01:43 PM
    1) Launch BB Protect
    2) Press BB Key
    3) Tap "Options"
    4) Tap "Sign Out"

You will not be prompted for the password and your phone will be disconnected from the BB Protect servers, meaning remote wipe, lock and location features will be unavailable.

Short answer: It's as secure as a sticky note on your monitor with your password on it.
    I am in disbelief that this is still possible, I mean, It's so blatantly stupid there are no words to describe. I have to put it in hide mode and pray if someone steals my phone or I lose it that they're too stupid to do a show all... It's a complete joke. Can someone please tell Thor? Anyone?
    Last edited by jwn66; 07-19-12 at 03:43 PM.
    ssbtech likes this.
    07-19-12 03:40 PM
    I would imagine it is just as secure as Apple's iCloud or Google's Dashboard. I love BB Protect.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk
    07-19-12 04:07 PM
    Yeah seems to be ok to me.
    07-19-12 04:17 PM
    1) Launch BB Protect
    2) Press BB Key
    3) Tap "Options"
    4) Tap "Sign Out"

Yeah because that makes BB Protect insecure...

If thats the case then the fact that turning off all network settings will also prevent remote wipe, lock and location features must mean that the entire BlackBerry is insecure.

My first port of call, if I was inclined to steal someone's BlackBerry, would be to turn off the network settings...not to logout of that person's BB Protect!
    07-20-12 04:35 AM
    Your device password is what protects the application, by ... uh locking the device? If you don't use a password on your device that is your own fault and all of your information is open anyway.

If you do use a password then BB protect is an ADDITIONAL layer of protection (much like BES remote wipe etc) that can be used when possible. BES is the most secure off the shelf system for mobile communications, but removing a SIM card or turning off network connections can still defeat a remote wipe. Good news is with both BES and Protect you can restore information to another device pretty easily.
    07-20-12 06:22 AM
    1) Launch BB Protect
    2) Press BB Key
    3) Tap "Options"
    4) Tap "Sign Out"

Uhhh? I don't know what version you're using but if you have "Prevent Delete of BlackBerry Protect" checked off, you will need to enter your BlackBerry ID password in order to delete it. I tried entering a different password and it says "Attempt 2/10 The username and password provided do not correspond to a valid BlackBerry ID" I'm not sure what happens if you went passed your ten attempts, but I'm pretty sure your protected info could still be retrieved if you were to successfully log in with your BB ID again.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    07-20-12 06:46 AM
    Not everyone wants to enter their BB password every time they look at their phone. I don't have much on my phone that I would call sensitive so I'm not too worried about wrapping chains and padlocks around the device, however it would be nice to know that should I lose the thing or have it stolen, BB Protect can't be disabled without a password.
    07-20-12 12:20 PM
    Yeah because that makes BB Protect insecure...

If thats the case then the fact that turning off all network settings will also prevent remote wipe, lock and location features must mean that the entire BlackBerry is insecure.

My first port of call, if I was inclined to steal someone's BlackBerry, would be to turn off the network settings...not to logout of that person's BB Protect!
    Then perhaps that's a security hole too - maybe BB Protect should prevent the phone from being disconnected from the cell network, just like a PC on a domain requires an admin password to be removed from the domain.
    07-20-12 12:27 PM
    Not everyone wants to enter their BB password every time they look at their phone. I don't have much on my phone that I would call sensitive so I'm not too worried about wrapping chains and padlocks around the device, however it would be nice to know that should I lose the thing or have it stolen, BB Protect can't be disabled without a password.
    This statement is correct if you check the box that says "Prevent Delete of BlackBerry Protect"
    07-20-12 02:02 PM
    Where's that option? I don't see it on mine.

And does that prevent you from following the steps I outlined above to sign out of the BB Protect service or does that only stop the removal of the BB Protect application?
    07-20-12 02:10 PM
    I am in disbelief that this is still possible, I mean, It's so blatantly stupid there are no words to describe. I have to put it in hide mode and pray if someone steals my phone or I lose it that they're too stupid to do a show all... It's a complete joke. Can someone please tell Thor? Anyone?
    Hiding the icon won't prevent it from showing up in universal search. The only way to not have it show up in search is to turn off universal search.

You can also uncheck the box for "I want this device's location to be viewable from the BlackBerry Protect web site." No password entry required, and this most likely disables the locator feature.

There's definitely room for improvement.
    07-20-12 02:23 PM

And does that prevent you from following the steps I outlined above to sign out of the BB Protect service or does that only stop the removal of the BB Protect application?
    It's an option that was introduced in the latest build: 1.1.1.73

You can check which build you have installed by going to Options>Device>Application Management (or, typing app man in search).
    07-20-12 02:32 PM

New option has apppeared, it's at top of options page, cause that was not there before. And I just tried stopping it and it asked for a password, wow, they finally fixed it. How long did that take, lol..

Scratch that, I just deleted it after selecting the option, went to appworld, un-installed, gg
    Last edited by jwn66; 07-20-12 at 02:49 PM.
    07-20-12 02:38 PM
    I see that you can no longer sign out without the password, I'll take your word for it that you can still uninstall it via App World.

Still needs the ability to prevent disconnection from the cell network without a password however.

It's getting there.. slowly.
    07-20-12 03:53 PM
    I see that you can no longer sign out without the password, I'll take your word for it that you can still uninstall it via App World.

Still needs the ability to prevent disconnection from the cell network without a password however.

It's getting there.. slowly.
    Yea a password to disable and or put on airplane mode/the all connections off button. Doesn't even have to be a part of BBP, jut tie it to regular password lock one. Why can't we have nice thngs
    07-20-12 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD