Problem is, they got the call but I don't think they've answered it appropriately. There appears to be an inability to grasp the precarious position that RIM is currently holding in the consumer market.
    12-19-11 03:52 PM
    You do know they sell phone outside of the great big USA right?

You do know that even RIMs own forecasts show that sales outside of the "great big USA" are going to start taking hits in the first part os 2012?

Hmmmm?

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry.
    12-19-11 04:40 PM
    The reality is, globally, RIM isn't sliding much. In fact, it would appear iOS is the suddenly losing their grip (and I doubt anyone thinks they're going poof soon). Is RIM having some serious issues they need to overcome? Sure, but to look at only the US market and their current stock value gives but part of the picture.

Global Smartphone Sales by Operating System: Summary - Bloomberg

I'm disheartened by the reports of delays, as we all are, along with the half-booty execution of what potentially is a fantastic tablet. My hopes of having a BB10 available, when I hit my upgrade date next year have been crushed. Next year will most likely not be pretty (baring PB OS development and a surprise turn-around in chip manufacturing), but so long as they continue to be competitive globally, RIM will definitely be around with something to impress........eventually.

The drum beat there is regarding news of RIM failures of the past couple years, has become nauseating. I'm fairly positive we all know it at this point, so it isn't really news now, is it.
    spike12 and sleepngbear like this.
    12-19-11 04:43 PM
    You do know they sell phone outside of the great big USA right?
    We've heard of this, but we really do not believe it.
    12-19-11 06:12 PM
    BABY!!!!!!!!!!!! With Southern Comfort I wouldn't want to parlay!!!!!

Oooo, lest we get into trouble, we must say something Blackberry....

let me see...

PING ME BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Blackberry Brandy!
    12-19-11 07:48 PM
    Pretty sad. I am a die hard blackberry user. I have RIM stock because I was a believer. I have taken a bath on this investment. I should have known when I started buying Android phones 2 years ago. I had the HTC Dream, the Nexus One, the Nexus S and now the Galaxy Nexus.

The features such as wifi hotspot, a front facing camera and apps such as Skype, Netflix, Teamviewer, FTP software etc., make this a wonderful device.

If RIM comes out with a killer QNX device, I will buy it for sure. But for now, I am enjoying Android. I still have my 9810 but may sell it. I bet I could only get $150 for it.

My friend is trying to sell his 9810 on Craigslist and like the stock, there appears to be no market for it.

I have owned Blackberries since 2003 and if they can alienate their most loyal customers, they don't have a chance. Wifi Hotspot, a front facing camera and Skype would have kept me.

I agree with you.
    Skype and the lake of apps on Blackberry devices is thier biggest problem. and in 2009-2010 they didn't do what they should, so now they loss costumers and money because of that. i hope that the BB10 will bring something new.. and as for now, i think that they need to improve a few things with OS7 devices as fast as they can and then start advertising more.
    12-19-11 10:29 PM
    I'm getting one of those Night bikes. Looks wiki-d.
    12-19-11 10:36 PM
    Well any good company is one product away from a home run.

Currently Androids and iPhones are the flavour of the month. There is a certain user fatigue. For the longest time Blackberrys have been the mainstay of smartphones. People got bored and Androids and iPhones are good devices and they sold.

Is anyone willing to bet that people won't get bored with iOS and Androids? People as consumers can never be predictable. It can be seen with all products and brands.

There was a time in India when the luxury car spelt Mercedes. People bought them and then got bored and shifted to BMW. Currently BMW is killing the Merc brand. Does that mean Merc is dead....no. But there will come a time when there will be BMW fatigue and simply to differentiate themselves Merc will be back in favour. Consumer choices are fickle, and the fanboys even more so.

A RIM fanboy converted to iOS is the most ardent critic of RIM, if only to justify his/her switch

Let iOS and Android mature and enter enterprise market, then lets see how quickly they can reinvent themselves every six months. Once they wont be able to do so, users will search out new products.
    have faith in them, those bad articles/rumors or whatever else won't do RIM any good.
    mostly those bad story's true or real, can make people believe they will ''going down''.
    RIM is in the warzone right now, if they can fight themself out of it, they still have a,
    chance to fight the war. but it's really tense for them atm.
    by delaying their line ups that can fight the war is going to be harder for people to believe in them.
    everytime hour,day, week, months that they have is crucial and they should make use of it.
    aslong if they can something wow happen then it's still possible.
    everyday another random article/thread about RIM's future.. we are sick of it aren't we? so RIM bring it on.
    show them what you got, leave them all behind dazzled. RIM hwaiting fast ploxx.
    So which one of you two are Jim and which one is Mike ???

So RIM, back to the wall is a good thing. They will either innovate and make a great product or fade away. Either way the consumer wins.
    How does the consumer win by RIM fading away ?
    azrin640 likes this.
    12-19-11 10:49 PM
    Society's money and manpower will be more efficiently allocated (by other companies more competent than Jim and Mike) to meet consumer needs.

Creative destruction is a good thing.
    Mr.Willie and sam_b77 like this.
    12-19-11 10:59 PM
    I agree with you.
    Skype and the lake of apps on Blackberry devices is thier biggest problem. and in 2009-2010 they didn't do what they should, so now they loss costumers and money because of that. i hope that the BB10 will bring something new.. and as for now, i think that they need to improve a few things with OS7 devices as fast as they can and then start advertising more.
    Instead of wasting $480 million on the half finished playbook, why didn't RIM throw money at developers to develop some of the more popular apps. Like, throw $200,000 at some Russian teenaged programmers to develop Skype without video.
    12-20-11 12:50 AM
    If I was the CEO of RIM I will take this actions

1- kill the playbook
    2- focus only on phones
    3- release new os faster to solve bricking issues in phones like th bold 9900
    4- use android as the blackberry os and hire htc to build new phones, keep exclusive features like bbm and push mail in my new phones.
    5- Stop developing os 10 and focus on android
    12-20-11 12:58 AM
    So which one of you two are Jim and which one is Mike ???

Thank you for reducing the intellectual quotient of this debate by 50 points.

Seriously, can't people just have a discussion without personal jibes?

You have a point, state it.
    Satire and sarcasm directed towards the forum posters is neither here nor there and adds little value to the conversation.
    12-20-11 12:59 AM
    Thank you for reducing the intellectual quotient of this debate by 50 points.

Seriously, can't people just have a discussion without personal jibes?

You have a point, state it.
    Satire and sarcasm directed towards the forum posters is neither here nor there and adds little value to the conversation.
    It's not a personal jibe. The post that you and the other gentleman posted sounded like it came from the RIM CEOs.

The competition (Apple) layed out the ground work 10 years ago for part of iOS's success with the iPod and getting people to purchase music from the iTunes store. Through the years they have added features to the store. (Dynamic). They have also added and updated devices that access the store. (The famous ecosystem you hear so much about). This quarter they will sell in excess of 30 million iPhones and 18 million iPads, in previous years the iTunes store has had over a billion dollars in sales and they have payed many millions to developers. They have amassed over $80 billion in liquid assets. Yet people still want to call it the iFad and iToy. If you ignore it long enough it will just go away. Well it hasn't. Not only has it gotten bigger, it also has momentum. Like unpaid back taxes, the problem is not going away. It needs to be dealt with, head on. Releasing a half finished tablet and delaying your next great phones isn't the way to do it.

I also promise you next years iPhone will be different than this years. iOS 6 will add new features. So the general population will not get bored with it and "magically" switch to RIM.

I'll give someone else the privilege of explaining RIMs problems with Android.

So again the two post I quoted sounded like something RIMs CEOs would say, thus RIM is having the troubles that they are having.
    moiselles likes this.
    12-20-11 03:40 AM
    It's not a personal jibe. The post that you and the other gentleman posted sounded like it came from the RIM CEOs.

The competition (Apple) layed out the ground work 10 years ago for part of iOS's success with the iPod and getting people to purchase music from the iTunes store. Through the years they have added features to the store. (Dynamic). They have also added and updated devices that access the store. (The famous ecosystem you hear so much about). This quarter they will sell in excess of 30 million iPhones and 18 million iPads, in previous years the iTunes store has had over a billion dollars in sales and they have payed many millions to developers. They have amassed over $80 billion in liquid assets. Yet people still want to call it the iFad and iToy. If you ignore it long enough it will just go away. Well it hasn't. Not only has it gotten bigger, it also has momentum. Like unpaid back taxes, the problem is not going away. It needs to be dealt with, head on. Releasing a half finished tablet and delaying your next great phones isn't the way to do it.

I also promise you next years iPhone will be different than this years. iOS 6 will add new features. So the general population will not get bored with it and "magically" switch to RIM.

So again the two post I quoted sounded like something RIMs CEOs would say, thus RIM is having the troubles that they are having.
    Apple is not immune to the power of Android. A lot of users don't like Apple because it is run like a dictatorship. Apple gives customers what Apple thinks they should have, not what the customer wants. For instance, you want a physical keyboard? Can't have it. Want a slide out keyboard? Can't have it. Want a 4 inch screen? Can't have it. Want some short cut keys? Can't have it. Want to shop around amongst retailers for a price discount? Can't have it. Instead, you have to line up over night for 72 hours, pay full retail and feel like you won the lottery because you got one? Is demand this high? No, Apple controls the inventory to keep prices high. Kind of like the fake line up at the empty night club. It is called marketing and manipulation people.

Android on the other hand comes in all different sizes, shapes and prices.

Also, with Apple, you have to use itunes to load your apps, music and videos. With Android, you can drop and drag what ever song or video you want onto your phone with total disregard for copyright laws.

Android is eating everyone's lunch because you can buy exactly what you want.

In 2011, Apple actually lost market share. Their market share in 2011 for the end of quarter 3 decreased 9.6%. Meanwhile, Androids market share went up 107% to 52.5%. Apple has a measly 15% of the market and it will continue to decrease.

I have an iphone and only bought it to see what all the fuss was about. I like this phone the least of my android, blackberry and iphone inventory.

I dislike itunes, the fact that with that 1 button, you waste too much time backing out of screens, the fact that you can't change the battery, the fact that you have to have the same email signature for all your email accounts, etc.

Apple's over controlling nature and dictatorship is going to bite them in the behind. They can be arrogant like RIM and chose to ignore the facts and they will meet the same fate.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 12-20-11 at 04:22 AM.
    12-20-11 04:01 AM

I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying.
    If you read my other posts in this thread then you would have seen that what I was trying to say was simply that there will always be new people to upstage the current king. And that's what keeps the current leader honest.

Besides that you could have made the same point that you just did without asking "which one of us was Jim and Mike". You made a sarcastic comment and I called you on that alone. There is no need for such sarcasm.
    12-20-11 06:19 AM
    Apple is not immune to the power of Android. A lot of users don't like Apple because it is run like a dictatorship. Apple gives customers what Apple thinks they should have, not what the customer wants. For instance, you want a physical keyboard? Can't have it. Want a slide out keyboard? Can't have it. Want a 4 inch screen? Can't have it. Want some short cut keys? Can't have it. Want to shop around amongst retailers for a price discount? Can't have it. Instead, you have to line up over night for 72 hours, pay full retail and feel like you won the lottery because you got one? Is demand this high? No, Apple controls the inventory to keep prices high. Kind of like the fake line up at the empty night club. It is called marketing and manipulation people.

Also, with Apple, you have to use itunes to load your apps, music and videos. With Android, you can drop and drag what ever song or video you want onto your phone with total disregard for copyright laws.

In 2011, Apple actually lost market share. Their market share in 2011 for the end of quarter 3 decreased 9.6%. Meanwhile, Androids market share went up 107% to 52.5%. Apple has a measly 15% of the market and it will continue to decrease.

I have an iphone and only bought it to see what all the fuss was about. I like this phone the least of my android, blackberry and iphone inventory.

I dislike itunes, the fact that with that 1 button, you waste too much time backing out of screens, the fact that you can't change the battery, the fact that you have to have the same email signature for all your email accounts, etc.

Apple's over controlling nature and dictatorship is going to bite them in the behind. They can be arrogant like RIM and chose to ignore the facts and they will meet the same fate.
    this post is full of win. For the record, although I'm a newly minted PB owner my phone is android. Android has it's strong points but believe me, a rock solid zippy and stable OS and browser aren't among them. I'll take my much maligned and forum-hate magnet PB over an android tablet any day. But I'll stick with android for my phone because:
    -I won't buy Apple for all of the above stated reasons
    -I do think android for it's pitfalls fits my personal uses better than a crackberry phone

But for tablets? Yeah... I'd go with an iPad2 long before I'd buy an android tablet, and I can't stand Apple. Playbook was the obvious winner for me, especially when I can get such a nice piece of hardware for a huge discount. Saddens me to see the company reduced to having to drop such a discount but it did succeed in gaining me and a lot of other people as a happy customer. I think they did the right thing there.

As far as the future of RIM goes - and yes this is totally directed at the recent hallucinating posters who think the company is actually going to collapse -

you do realize that almost the entirety of the USA and Canada civil services uses BB's for their issued management mobile devices right? As a gov't employee myself I know that first hand. I'm willing to bet the greater chunk of private sector management are the same way. These people are bureaucrats. Bureaucrats.... do.... not.... do.... anything.... fast....
    Do you honestly think these companies and gov't sectors are going to spend millions of dollars changing their mobile infrastructure anytime in the next... decade? That alone right there is a pretty sweet chunk of cha-ching for RIM worldwide. That combined with a fairly decent end-user customer base is more than enough to keep them financially healthy. Far from the "omg they're going to implode" crap you guys keep spinning. gimme a break. I however, am not an *****. I watch actual credible financial news sources. None of them are making the DOOM RIM forecasts that you are. Hmmm... listen to layman crackberry fear mongers? Or financial experts? Tough choice!
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 12-20-11 at 09:15 AM.
    E92Vancouver likes this.
    12-20-11 08:50 AM
    this post is full of win. For the record, although I'm a newly minted PB owner my phone is android. Android has it's strong points but believe me, a rock solid zippy and stable OS and browser aren't among them. I'll take my much maligned and forum-hate magnet PB over an android tablet any day. But I'll stick with android for my phone because:
    -I won't buy Apple for all of the above stated reasons
    -I do think android for it's pitfalls fits my personal uses better than a crackberry phone

But for tablets? Yeah... I'd go with an iPad2 long before I'd buy an android tablet, and I can't stand Apple. Playbook was the obvious winner for me, especially when I can get such a nice piece of hardware for a huge discount. Saddens me to see the company reduced to having to drop such a discount but it did succeed in gaining me and a lot of other people as a happy customer. I think they did the right thing there.

As far as the future of RIM goes - and yes this is totally directed at the recent hallucinating posters who think the company is actually going to collapse -

you do realize that almost the entirety of the USA and Canada civil services uses BB's for their issued management mobile devices right? As a gov't employee myself I know that first hand. I'm willing to bet the greater chunk of private sector management are the same way. These people are bureaucrats. Bureaucrats.... do.... not.... do.... anything.... fast....
    Do you honestly think these companies and gov't sectors are going to spend millions of dollars changing their mobile infrastructure anytime in the next... decade? That alone right there is a pretty sweet chunk of cha-ching for RIM worldwide. That combined with a fairly decent end-user customer base is more than enough to keep them financially healthy. Far from the "omg they're going to implode" crap you guys keep spinning. gimme a break. I however, am not an *****. I watch actual credible financial news sources. None of them are making the DOOM RIM forecasts that you are. Hmmm... listen to layman crackberry fear mongers? Or financial experts? Tough choice!
    RIM has billions in the bank, makes billions, no debt and billions in valuable patents.

They aren't going anywhere, but if management keeps driving the stock, a competitor could buy them and dismantle them or someone could take them private.

I expect could things from RIM and hope they can pull out of this dive. Choice is good for the consumer.

Apple is like Henry Ford in terms of its single model smartphone. Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black.
    12-20-11 10:19 AM
    Apple gives customers what Apple thinks they should have, not what the customer wants. For instance, you want a physical keyboard? Can't have it. Want a slide out keyboard? Can't have it. Want a 4 inch screen? Can't have it. Want some short cut keys? Can't have it. Want to shop around amongst retailers for a price discount? Can't have it.
    How are customers responding?

How is this working out for Apple?

Which phones with a physical keyboard, slide out keyboard, or 4 inch screens that is out-selling the iPhone?

Is this similar to saying "I like Thai food and Ruth's Chris MUST start selling Thai food or else they will suffer!!! Ruth's Chris is just for sheep who aren't smart enough to demand Thai food, fresh baked breakfast pastries, and cook-at-home pizzas!!!".

Apple sells this item. You may select it or not. More people select it than any of the alternatives.

Fill me in on why this is bad?
    12-20-11 10:25 AM

How is this working out for Apple?

Which phones with a physical keyboard, slide out keyboard, or 4 inch screens that is out-selling the iPhone?

Is this similar to saying "I like Thai food and Ruth's Chris MUST start selling Thai food or else they will suffer!!! Ruth's Chris is just for sheep who aren't smart enough to demand Thai food, fresh baked breakfast pastries, and cook-at-home pizzas!!!".

Apple sells this item. You may select it or not. More people select it than any of the alternatives.

Android is killing it because you can buy exactly what you want.

In 2011, Apple actually lost market share. Their market share in 2011 for the end of quarter 3 decreased 9.6%. Meanwhile, Androids market share went up 107% to 52.5%. Apple has a measly 15% of the market and I expect it will continue to decrease.
    12-20-11 10:30 AM

Yes, the market share numbers. What about sales numbers ? Actual units sold by one company in a quarter ? Apple has increased its sales numbers. What about profits ? Apple rakes in 67% of the the cell phone markets profits. Apple is loosing market share in a growing market, but they are not loosing it to one company, but many, while at the same time continuing to sell phones as fast as they can be made.

Apple also doesn't cater to everyone. They never claimed to either. So if you want a physical keyboard and want to be able to email files without having to open them, iPhone is not for you. (One of the reasons why when I finally broke down and bought my first smartphone last quarter it was a 9810.)

What is RIM doing ? Not market share, but sales numbers. Are they increasing sales in an expanding market, or decreasing sales in an expanding market ?
    12-20-11 10:34 AM
    [...]

You do have a point. But you have to wonder if the trendy cuisine analogy holds or another one:, they are making buggy whips at the beginning of the age of the automobile?

I honestly don't know, but the "smartphone" playing field is changing with iOS, Android and WP7, and expanding.

And a new trend is "bring your own phone" to work (employees rather preferring picking their own phones rather than using a company issued one for companies that do that) - the iOS is the narrow end of the wedge with WP7 following. I think Android has enough scary Malware that it may end up frozen out if not carefully policed.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 12-20-11 at 10:58 AM.
    12-20-11 10:40 AM
    There buying something else. When you want something else you go get it.

The various and wide offering for mobile devices offers you a choice as a consumer, but that doesn't mean your not pushed into a device that you don't need. Sure a savy techy will 'know' what they want, but do you think the average joe/jane has a clue or really cares?

I think the 4s pop for Apple is possibly unique for them. With Jobs dying, I think it became an iconic device. Almost like getting the last Andy Warhol artifact.

And Android devices are just flooding the market basically making the cell phone the next extinct device.
    12-20-11 10:43 AM
    Android is killing it because you can buy exactly what you want.
    Hmm, I know that Google makes as much on an iOS sale as on an Android sale ($0), and as much ad revenue or more from an iOS user as from an Android user... they aren't killing it... and Android hardware from all manufacturers combined is less profitable than iOS hardware... so I guess "killing it" has different meanings. Maybe by snout counting ("Unit sales indicate Kia Rio is best car in America!" etc.), but it's tough to substitute "Killing it" as shorthand for "Narrow unit-sale lead divided among countless manufacturers, versus nearly all of the industry's gross profit in the hands of one manufacturer".

In 2011, Apple actually lost market share. Their market share in 2011 for the end of quarter 3 decreased 9.6%. Meanwhile, Androids market share went up 107% to 52.5%. Apple has a measly 15% of the market and I expect it will continue to decrease.
    Er, read it again more closely, or ask someone to explain what the chart says.

No answers to my questions, eh? How is it working out for Ruth's Chris and Apple?
    12-20-11 12:15 PM
    Hmm, I know that Google makes as much on an iOS sale as on an Android sale ($0), and as much ad revenue or more from an iOS user as from an Android user... they aren't killing it... and Android hardware from all manufacturers combined is less profitable than iOS hardware... so I guess "killing it" has different meanings. Maybe by snout counting ("Unit sales indicate Kia Rio is best car in America!" etc.), but it's tough to substitute "Killing it" as shorthand for "Narrow unit-sale lead divided among countless manufacturers, versus nearly all of the industry's gross profit in the hands of one manufacturer".

Er, read it again more closely, or ask someone to explain what the chart says.

No answers to my questions, eh? How is it working out for Ruth's Chris and Apple?
    I posted a chart on OS market share. Android is killing it. You now want to talk about manufacturer's share and profit/handset?

Let me be more clear. When it comes to OS market share, Android is killing it.

Google may give their OS away for free, but at the end of the day, they make billions off of it.

Apple and Google take two different paths to end up at the same place. A big pile of money.

Look for my answer on UrbanSpoon.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 12-20-11 at 12:22 PM.
    12-20-11 12:19 PM
    I posted a chart on OS market share. Android is killing it. You now want to talk about manufacturer's share and profit/handset?

Let me be more clear. When it comes to OS market share, Android is killing it.

Google may give their OS away for free, but at the end of the day, they make billions off of it.

Apple and Google take two different paths to end up at the same place. A big pile of money.
    Sorry, I only saw the one misunderstood chart that shows the traditional "Quarter before the big update" lag Apple experiences once per year versus Android's best quarter. I know some thought it was a cumulative market share chart, I didn't realize you believed that as well.

"Google may give their OS away for free, but at the end of the day, they make billions off of it."

Er... explain how a copy of Android makes more money for Google than a copy of iOS. Both go out and drag eyeballs to Google.

Is it something like this?

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBiSI6OdqvA[/YT]

(Hint... Google does not make the claim you are making... they understand.)
    sleepngbear likes this.
    12-20-11 12:24 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD