I just got a T-Mobile BB 9780 2 days ago, and so far I have been able to get a GPS satellite fix only once, and only after I did my first battery pull. Before that, it would not work even on a wide open unobstructed strip mall parking lot.

After my one and only successful satellite fix, I have tried numerous times to refresh my location in the settings menu without success. All I get is a rough location based on cell phone towers, but not a single satellite signal is picked up. Does anybody have similar issues? Could any of the apps installed by me (other than factory-preinstalled) interfere with GPS?
    Here is what I installed on my device:
    - google maps
    - epocrates (free medical reference software)
    - QxMD calculator (free medical calculator)
    - scanlife barcode reader

The one time that I got a satellite fix was AFTER I installed all of these apps.
    Both google maps and BB maps give me inaccurate locations (with 200 - 1500 m radius)
    Should I return the phone?
    Any other ideas?
    Thank you!
    12-05-10 11:31 AM
    I find GPS really only works when you are OUTSIDE and able to see the GPS satellites, if not you are relying on triangulation and which a few hundred meters away will be a constant.
    12-05-10 11:33 AM
    I think mine said within 4 feet last night.
    12-05-10 11:41 AM
    gps receivers have an aquisition time, best method to is to enable agps (uses cell towers for guestimate of location) and try stay stay still until signal is received.
    12-05-10 04:24 PM
    This is my first GSM BB, always had CDMA BB in th past and the difference is amazing. The gps accuracy on my 9780 is phenomenal, very fast to lock and always accurate. Does the provider/software version matter?
    12-05-10 06:07 PM
    It's been really sharp for me. All locations pick me up within a few feet of where I am whereas on my last bb I was getting more wide variances (usually 75-250 or so ft).
    12-05-10 09:35 PM
    I haven't been able to get past "searching for satelites"
    12-05-10 09:44 PM
    really sharp here
    12-05-10 10:26 PM
    Sharp enough. Just 28,2 meters accuracy...
    12-06-10 06:40 AM
    My Torch had me within a meter on BB maps... I say had as I have now lost the ability to use the My Location button on BB Maps even though the GPS is on and all connections are firing as normal. I am stymied by this and a little ticked off at the same time.
    12-06-10 11:38 AM
    Amazingly accurate. Just tried it indoors. "Your location within 2 m."
    12-06-10 12:43 PM
    It's been outstanding for me on the 9780. Often within 3m.
    12-06-10 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD