I don’t live in the U.S so I’m thinking of getting a contract free blackberry which means it’s kind of expensive. Around 450? (600-700 USD give or take). I have a Sony Ericsson now and after a year of use it’s crapping out on me, turning itself off and restarting.. you know the usual, do I don’t want to splash that much money on something that is problematic. I know that S.E are well known for that, what about blackberries?
    Thanks for your help
    Last edited by pimmy5; 05-13-09 at 10:35 AM.
    05-13-09 10:20 AM
    In my experience, both of my BlackBerrys have been flawless and the vast majority of members have experienced the same thing.

The hardware build quality is excellent and has never been an issue. Software is under continuous development and continues to add feature improvements.
    05-13-09 10:29 AM
    Hi Reed, Blackberries are solid and user friendly devices in general.

I have been using blackberries for work and play out my own pocket (BIS user) for a while now.
    05-13-09 11:01 AM
    Hi Reed, Blackberries are solid and user friendly devices in general.

I have been using blackberries for work and play out my own pocket (BIS user) for a while now.
    exactly what you said...

and welcome pimmy5, welcome to cb.com
    05-13-09 11:11 AM
    Hello, and welcome to CrackBerry!

The BlackBerry line, as a whole, is a group of solidly-designed devices. Some have their quirks, but you would be amazed at how many 4 and 5 year old BBs are still being used. We even had one a few months ago that had been ingested and spat out by a snow blowing machine. It was beaten and battered, yet still worked.

One of the real benefits is that you can replace parts that wear out, and there are a host of sites that cater to this.

If you are overly worried about cost, you might look into purchasing a clean used BB, as many do. This will give you an option to consider for your first foray into all that is BlackBerry.

And honestly, the BlackBerry is the first mobile device I've had no regrets with.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 11:52 AM
    Pimmy, I agree with everybody here, and can assure you that the BlackBerry is the most solid phone (especially smartphone) I have used (and I believe, is available).

Although having no first hand experience with the storm - from what I have read and heard, and with my tendancy of having no patience with technology, would steer clear of this device.. Also may be good advice to steer clear of the "SureType" on the pearl too

05-13-09 03:24 PM
    99.9% of all BlackBerry's are flawless.

So long as you don't factor in the Storm.

But if you get any of the other models, you should be perfectly fine.
    05-13-09 03:26 PM
    Just make sure you understand BIS/BES, which one you will be using, with what email service, how it works, and any limitations thereof.

(perhaps browse these forums for a few days first)

For example (although blackberry is probably the most solid, stable, frustration-free device available), for the time being, you won't get email folders on BIS, this tends to peeve off a few of the new players, but most are happy to put up with that in return for a reliable smartphone..

05-13-09 03:40 PM
    Thanks every for your reply!!
    05-14-09 07:51 AM
    dont get the storm unless you are willing to tinker with it or upgrade to unofficial OS's. =]

The javelin/bold is great out of the box though
    05-14-09 08:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD