03-23-11 09:35 AM
34 12
tools
    So how often do you upgrade your phone?
    I'll go first- Historically I've waited the 2 years (or as close to it) to upgrade my devices...
    looking at many of the users signatures, some of you have a lengthy device history....

What do you do with all of your old phones?

The smartphone market has to be one of the most competitive markets I've seen. It seems that phone makers are coming out with new phones every 6 months or so...

For me, I;ve never upgraded because I had to....my devices were typically in good working condition when "the next best/hot" device came out..then I had to have it....I'm becoming jaded with all the upgrades I've done =(
    Granted, my old 8310 and 8900 worked great! Played music, made calls, emails, sms all with great ease =)

Where do you think we are headed? Upgrade in perpetuity?

I hope all posters enjoy this discussion as much as I hope to !
    03-21-11 06:39 PM
    I get year contracts and upgrade as soon as the 10 months is up. Then I sell my old phone which helps with my newest phone purchase.

While I've been with Verizon-

Curve>Tour>Incredible>Droid X>who knows...
    03-21-11 06:51 PM
  3. T
    I still have my 8330m. I think I can upgrade in a few months, but I probably won't. I don't need a different device when this one works fine. If it breaks, I'll get another through insurance. If I lose it, I'll obtain a Bold, probably a 9650 world edition. I'd love to have that now or at upgrade time, but I won't do it unless I have to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-11 06:55 PM
    Dumbphones and smartphones had an impact on me when it comes to upgrades...

I used to upgrade my dumbphone every 3 years... After the BlackBerry, I had 3 devices in 2 years. I'll try and hold to the 9780 untill QNX hits the handhelds...
    03-21-11 07:32 PM
    I've traditionally ssigned 2 year contracts and taken advantage of the 1 year upgrade option VZW formerly offered. I guess in the future since they dropped that program I'll be going with a 1 year contract.

I typically just keep my old phones. There's a box full of 'em.
    03-21-11 09:18 PM
    I'm a yearly man, but might have to wait a bit longer depending on how long RIM and Verizon drag their feet with the Bold Touch!
    03-21-11 09:21 PM
    I make it 10-12 months on an upgrade, but only ever have a phone for about 6 months. I buy one used in between upgrades because I get bored with phones fast. Don't ask about how many vehicles I've had lol.
    03-21-11 09:24 PM
    I buy my phones off contract...this might change once TMO is gone, but if I find a phone I like I just stick with it. I've had my 9700 since November 2009 and have yet to find a phone I want to replace it with. I would like a playbook yesterday though.
    03-21-11 09:31 PM
    Well lets see. I havent had a blackberry longer then 6 months without changing. the only exception would be my bold 9700. Ive had that for close to a year before i went to the 9300 then back to the 9700 after 2 weeks. But within that time i used a pearl flip and curve 8520 for a couple days.

I just bought a 9780 and im trying to figure out what to do next. Will change soon anyway cause i will most likely drop T-Mo cause i dont want anything to do with ATT.

I turn around and either sell my phones or trade them for other play toys. Its almost like an addition, i need a new toy every couple of months....
    03-21-11 09:34 PM
    I use my phones until the battery dies, then trade up. Its the only way I can stay current.

Seriously though, I do the new every two with Verizon. I understand that is no more so I don't know what my next move will be. My S2 is still strong so I am not even really looking right now.

03-21-11 10:44 PM
    Hm. Well, I was upgrading every year, because I simply couldn't find a phone I was happy with.
    My friend gave me her old Curve 8330 back in November to see if I would like how Blackberry operates, and this past February I upgraded and got the Style. That was probably the shortest amount of time between phones for me (4 months).
    I keep my favorites (like my lime green LG Chocolate and my purple LG Lotus), I donate some, and I have given some to friends (my Samsung Moment) and family (my powder blue LG Chocolate).
    03-21-11 11:16 PM
    I would say I probably buy a new phone every 6-8 months,

I have had 6 Blackberry's and 2 Windows phones since I registered on this site in March 2008,
    before I got Blackberry's I probably got a new WinMo phone every 12 months
    03-21-11 11:45 PM
    Well, my first cell phone was some gray colored thing back in '97. Could have been a Motorola, but not sure. The next two were Motorolas. I couldn't tell you the model numbers, but that last one was the silver and blue flip that everyone seemed to have at the time. That was three in a span of 10 years. Because my next phone was the BB Pearl 8100 in mid '07. I kept that one until just last December when I finally upgraded to my current Torch.

I tend to go a bit beyond my 2 year contracts.

03-21-11 11:53 PM
    I usually last about 12 months. I try to warranty the unit about 11 months in and then upgrade. I will hold on to my old phone and try to re purpose it.

My G1 is used as a track camera when I go racing. My old BB 8800 is a back up just in case type thing. My last BB 9700 I sold right after a warranty exchange.

My current HD7 will probably last a long time as it seems to have everything. Large screen good battery, good call quality, a nice internet ect.

I will hang out to see how the TMO merger goes if they try to screw me I will leave but I think there is a lot of the "the sky is falling" going on right now.
    03-21-11 11:54 PM
    Before BB I had all dumb phones. I kept them until they took a crap. Since BB 1 a year.
    03-21-11 11:56 PM
    It's gotten really bad over the past 2 years when I got my first storm. Since then I probably buy another phone almost every 4-5 months and use my upgrades to get new phones as well. I sell my old phones to use towards the newer ones.
    03-21-11 11:59 PM
    I have been with Verizon since forever! Always on a two year contract. I normally upgrade shortly after the contract expires but....with this being my first smartphone, and CrackBerry educating me just enough to be dangerous, I have been thinking that 13 more months is a very long time!

Also,I have always donated my old phones to a local shelter.

03-22-11 12:27 AM
    Normally, it just depends on what's available when AT&T says I'm eligible for the ol' discount on an upgrade. Curiously, every time there's been something better out than what I had. I expect that'll be the case again this time around ... I'll be due again in September, and the BB road map shows a couple of cool phones coming out shortly before then.
    03-22-11 12:40 AM
    About every 10 to 18 months for me. I take exceptional care of my phones and sell them when I buy a new one.
    03-22-11 12:49 AM
    I wait till the contract says it's time to upgrade and then wait for a good deal on the model I want. That's usually 18-24 months.
    03-22-11 06:56 AM
    my country has no contract beween phone and carrier so you can change your phone anytime you want ,exchange with higher price of a phone -*-

but for me i usually change 1-2 years for a new one
    Last edited by chanpisan; 03-22-11 at 07:46 AM.
    03-22-11 07:44 AM
    I keep mine until it either dies or I get an offer for one I want for free. I don't need a smartphone bad enough to pay $600 for it.
    03-22-11 10:25 AM
    as soon as monetarily possible.
    03-22-11 10:27 AM
    I usually upgrade every 2 years if there's something new out that looks good.
    03-22-11 10:41 AM
    I get yearly upgrades but it all depends on what phones are out there whether I upgrade or not.
    03-22-11 01:25 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD