So Android won't compare to something that hasn't even been released yet? I don't get this line of reasoning at all.

Now if you were to word it "based on the touted capabilities of QNX when it is released will be better than Android devices because of (and then list the reasons)", I might be with you. I might disagree but it'd at least be a good point.

And when QNX is released, do you even know what the evolution of Android devices will look like/be capable of?

Some of you guys are Debbie downers. A person posts that they like X device more than Y device because of certain reasons. And then some people come in and are all like "Oh man, Android battery life sucks and BB10 and QNX will be awesome (notice the will is italicized because it's not even out yet).

What would be awesome is if the thread started with teh OP talking about just what he did. Then a poster replies with "I had this Android device once and the battery life was terrible. And I read on a thread over at XDA (insert thread link) that the screen was having issues. That's prob why I wouldn't buy one. Then others chime in wtih that have actually used the device and etc. Then we actually have a really good thread with actual information being passed on. In other words, we get a bit of knowledge without having resort to 'that device sucksfest 2000'.
    I wouldn't expect you to understand that QNX is a desktop capable OS and Android is just a weak phone OS trying to be a tablet OS. I wouldn't expect you to understand that QNX can emulate Android but Android can't emulate QNX. All Android devices have reported weak battery life. I don't need to stick my hand in a fire twice to understand that it will get burnt. You can learn that the first time. If you want a nice Android discussion then I'm not sure you are in the right place. The truth hurts doesn't it.

You're right on that one! Android has auto-correct, predictive text, keyboard options, native email, native calendar and the list goes on. Only thing it doesn't offer is a beta version of a Blackberry App player..but then I guess it wouldn't need to run apps it already supports natively
    The Playbook is just beginning. Android went through the same growing pains. If you pair the Playbook with a BB phone you get almost all of those very same things. Try running one of the Playbook app on your Android. Oh yeah you can't.
    01-07-12 12:25 PM
    I wouldn't expect you to understand that QNX can emulate Android but Android can't emulate QNX. All Android devices have reported weak battery life.
    Why would Android want to emulate QNX? The reason QNX emulates Android is to compensate for a lacking app ecosystem. There is no reason Android would want to run a version of QNX on its systems.

And as far as battery life goes I get a day's use off a charge with my 9930 and a day for my PB. I wouldn't exactly call that great battery life.
    01-07-12 12:52 PM
    Why would Android want to emulate QNX? The reason QNX emulates Android is to compensate for a lacking app ecosystem. There is no reason Android would want to run a version of QNX on its systems.

And as far as battery life goes I get a day's use off a charge with my 9930 and a day for my PB. I wouldn't exactly call that great battery life.
    Not all Playbook owners want the Android emulator. Some of us would rather have native apps and having the emulator might stop developers from creating the native apps.

Battery life is only one of the issues with the Note.
    01-07-12 01:11 PM
    Not all Playbook owners want the Android emulator. Some of us would rather have native apps and having the emulator might stop developers from creating the native apps.

That only applies if developers are cross platform developers or developers changing platforms. Stating that they will stop developing for BB because of the android app ecosystem is conjecture at best. I am a BB fanboy to the core but I also employ cold logic. I struggle to find a reason why having access to hundreds of thousands of apps is a bad thing.

I often read android central and the forums and I don't really see any other issues with the note.
    01-07-12 01:27 PM
    That only applies if developers are cross platform developers or developers changing platforms. Stating that they will stop developing for BB because of the android app ecosystem is conjecture at best. I am a BB fanboy to the core but I also employ cold logic. I struggle to find a reason why having access to hundreds of thousands of apps is a bad thing.

I often read android central and the forums and I don't really see any other issues with the note.
    Who said anything about stoping development for BB. I'm saying developers for other platforms won't create a native app for QNX. The emulator will never be as smooth as a native app.

If you want to see further issues click on the link in the post at the top of this page.
    01-07-12 01:33 PM

Leave it alone. Seriously. LOL. Just accept that Android cannot emulate QNX.

Quit trying to use rational logic, I beg of you...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    01-07-12 01:36 PM
    I wouldn't expect you to understand that QNX is a desktop capable OS and Android is just a weak phone OS trying to be a tablet OS. I wouldn't expect you to understand that QNX can emulate Android but Android can't emulate QNX. All Android devices have reported weak battery life. I don't need to stick my hand in a fire twice to understand that it will get burnt. You can learn that the first time. If you want a nice Android discussion then I'm not sure you are in the right place. The truth hurts doesn't it.
    I'll assume that by you saying "wouldn't expect (me) to understand" that you're not being derogatory and condenscending. If you are, let me know and we can quit responding to each other. I don't understand why Android would want to emulate Blackberry. If it wanted to emulate Blackberry, it would have made an emulator to run BB apps like BB has done for Android. And I wouldn't say that Android is weak compared to BB. This is a matter of personal opinion. I was on BB for years and used an 8310, 9700, and then a 9800. Obviously since I'm still using Android fills my needs better than BB does. You dissing on Android and bravoing BB does little for me. I like BB. I just happen to like the Android phones I've used/am using more right now. One of the biggest factors for staying with my Android is that I don't have to deal with truncated emails anymore. And with the QNX, it's not out yet. When it comes out if it can meet my needs better than Android...I'll gladly switch. As it is right now, I can run my phone completely remote from my laptop or any laptop or desktop or tablet that I choose. I can also run my laptop from my phone. And before you say "Well BB can do that too."...Great. That's awesome if it can. If it can't, hopefully it will be able to soon because it's a pretty awesome feature to be able to use even if you don't need to use it.

Not ALL Androids get weak battery life. Not all BBs get great battery life. We have numerous posters here who are getting 16-24+ battery usage with normal use on their Android devices. For me, I get around 9 hours with gaming, texting, emails, multiple accounts synced, streaming music, running widgets and multiple screens. Battery life isn't that huge of an ordeal to me. Battery life has never been an issue for me when deciding on what phone to buy. Now maybe if I was dying after 2-3 hours that would be a deal breaker, but I haven't had to deal with that yet.

I guess according to you, if I were to get a bunk BB device, then I should never consider another BB device because of the whole hand in the fire. I think we can read through this forum and see issues with every device. And we can also read through here and see people who haven't had any issues at all. This goes for every brand...whether cars or TVs or computers or phones. Since I'm around a lot of people everyday and nearly all of them have phones, I've seen numerous times with two people having the same device...one has issues and one doesn't. I've gotten defective devices, returned them for the same device, and it ran beautifully.

As far as having a nice Android dicusssion? We've had plenty. It's not about nice Android discussions. It's not about nice BB discussions. What I'm referring to is having a respectful and intelligent discussion. There are two other discussions that seem to really get people rialed up--Nike vs Adidas when it comes to soccer and fuel injected vs carb.

The Playbook is just beginning. Android went through the same growing pains. If you pair the Playbook with a BB phone you get almost all of those very same things. Try running one of the Playbook app on your Android. Oh yeah you can't.
    Why would I want to run a PB on my Android? I don't have a tablet but when I do, I'll get a tablet that best suits my needs and syncs the best up with my phone. I'd assume that an Android powered tablet would best fit that need. And why would I need to run a Playbook app on my Android? Exactly what apps are on the Playbook or even BB that Android doesn't have? Again, if BB has stuff that I needed that Android doesn't, then I'd be on BB.
    01-07-12 01:38 PM

But just a second ago you were trying to throw it in my face about the whole running Android apps on the Playbook. And now it might be a bad thing? Which is it? Is it good that you can have an Android emulator or is it bad that it'll keep developers from developing?
    01-07-12 01:40 PM
    Just to be clear. With the emulator developers will be less inclined to create a native app when they can simple port their app through the emulator.
    01-07-12 01:42 PM
    The emulator will never be as smooth as a native app.
    Well, of course not. Well unless the app integrated into the system as well as native apps.

If you want to see further issues click on the link in the post at the top of this page.
    There are far more threads praising the Note than threads talking about issues. We've had several in this thread saying how much they love it. Again, all devices have issues.

Wait! I take it back. I can't remember ever having a single issue with Motorazr.
    01-07-12 01:43 PM
    Just to be clear. With the emulator developers will be less inclined to create a native app when they can simple port their app through the emulator.
    So I take it you are against the Android emulator?
    01-07-12 01:46 PM
    So I take it you are against the Android emulator?
    I see the advantages of having native apps. Angry Birds runs like a dream on the Playbook. Not so much through the emulator.
    I would rather see the majority happy by having the emulator but I for one won't be using it. It's not important to me.
    01-07-12 02:08 PM
    All Android devices have reported weak battery life.
    My battery life on the Atrix is much better than it was on my Torch. Maybe comparison video's would "prove" something different. But real world useage is all that matters to me.

Over 8 hrs already and at 74%. Granted, I haven't used my phone like a maniac, but it's pretty standard everyday use while i'm at work.

EDIT: And that's strictly on 3G, no wifi, and sometimes spotty cell signal (I work in the middle of nowhere usually).
    Last edited by Rickroller; 01-07-12 at 02:25 PM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-07-12 02:23 PM
    I think I will go to an android forum and post how great my bb phone and tab are. Give me a break. I'll put the samsung galaxy ll is a cool phone but the point of a cell phone is that its easily carried in ones pocket and very durable but i still used it for angry birds. A phone with a 5in screen? I can bluetooth my bb and never take it out of MY POCKET while working on my pb. Then when i go any where my phone is in my front pocket and does not effect the way I walk. The best thing about bb phones..... They work great for what phones do; communication any where you go. I guess forums are one way to market.
    NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.
    01-07-12 02:25 PM
    If I barely use my BB Torch, maybe one or two calls, at 8 hours I'll be at 99%...
    NFLPLAYBOOK and Daktar like this.
    01-07-12 02:33 PM
    I think I will go to an android forum and post how great my bb phone and tab are.
    Well you'll prob get a lot of "awesome. Glad you enjoy your phone." A lot of Android users came from BB. For some reason, when people post that they're thinking about switching from a BB and want opinions, you get a lot of negative responses on this forum. It wouldn't be the same way if you were on an Android forum and posted you were thinking about moving to BB.

I'll put the samsung galaxy ll is a cool phone but the point of a cell phone is that its easily carried in ones pocket and very durable but i still used it for angry birds. A phone with a 5in screen?
    My 4.3" screen fits very comfortably in my pockets. I have a friend that has a Streak that has a 5" screen and no issues with fitting in the pocket. Now if I were a woman with small pockets, then I'd prob have issues.
    01-07-12 02:35 PM
    If I barely use my BB Torch, maybe one or two calls, at 8 hours I'll be at 99%...
    Point being?

RickRoll said he hasn't used it like a maniac, not that he hasn't used it at all. The point of his post was that it seems a lot of BB users think that Androids die in like 3 hours or something. He's showing that with use, it's still got plenty of battery after 8 hours.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-07-12 02:37 PM
    I know what you mean. Bridged all day and light use and I still have 95% after 10 hours. If I play music all day as well I still have 60%.
    01-07-12 02:38 PM
    I think I will go to an android forum and post how great my bb phone and tab are. Give me a break. I'll put the samsung galaxy ll is a cool phone but the point of a cell phone is that its easily carried in ones pocket and very durable but i still used it for angry birds. A phone with a 5in screen? I can bluetooth my bb and never take it out of MY POCKET while working on my pb. Then when i go any where my phone is in my front pocket and does not effect the way I walk. The best thing about bb phones..... They work great for what phones do; communication any where you go. I guess forums are one way to market.
    It's not that, there's just a bunch of false information in this thread that people are trying correct. Say people on Android forums were saying false things about bbs. If you saw that happening you'd like to squash that info too, right? I use both and like both, but I don't like that some bb users seem so insecure that they need to spread lies about the Android platform to justify what they use, you know? You don't have to bash one platform to like the one you use.

In regards to Rickroller's post, I can pretty much replicate those results on my HTC Amaze.

I don't have a battery widget with a number, but since one half bar of battery is gone it shows I have at least 80% left, and as you can see I'm also currently in an area with poor signal.
    kilted thrower likes this.
    01-07-12 02:43 PM
    I still don't care if it's a blackberry iphone or android. It is too big for a phone and too small for a tablet. To me.
    01-07-12 02:53 PM
    Well you'll prob get a lot of "awesome. Glad you enjoy your phone." A lot of Android users came from BB. For some reason, when people post that they're thinking about switching from a BB and want opinions, you get a lot of negative responses on this forum. It wouldn't be the same way if you were on an Android forum and posted you were thinking about moving to BB.

This coming from a android user. You totally missed my point and no you wouldn't. this individual is stumping for a product, not asking questions. I've been on android forums because I like some of their products( galaxy being one of them but don't tell me it fits in your pocket good, maybe a man purse) and they love android which is great. What I don't see much of that I see here all the time is bb owners posting how much android sucks.

My 4.3" screen fits very comfortably in my pockets. I have a friend that has a Streak that has a 5" screen and no issues with fitting in the pocket. Now if I were a woman with small pockets, then I'd prob have issues.
    Your wearing clown pants if a five in screen fits "comfortably " in your pocket. If you want that great. My POINT was wrong forum.
    01-07-12 03:05 PM
    I still don't care if it's a blackberry iphone or android. It is too big for a phone and too small for a tablet. To me.
    Beautifully said. Brevity is the soul of wit.. or something like that.
    01-07-12 03:08 PM
    Where's your screenshot then? Anybody can claim anything..but on the interwebz, "Pics or it didn't happen".
    01-07-12 03:16 PM
    I think I will go to an android forum and post how great my bb phone and tab are. Give me a break.
    Did you even read the OP? Never once was he bragging about how great his phone was. He simply stated that since getting the Galaxy Note, he no longer felt the need to use a Torch AND a Playbook, and in fact, was still praising his BB.

And as far as the topic goes, this is a General topic in the *gasp* General topics section.

I just got the Galaxy Note for 2 wks now. So my BB patterns are the Bold 9700 + Note. I do not carry the PB now that I have the note and I down graded my Torch back to the Bold 9700.

Finally, neither the Note, LG nor the iPhone 4S can get me to forgo the BB smartphone because it is the only one in my part of the whole that offers an unlimited global data roaming for USD 50 bucks a month. There is no such plan for the droid nor the iOS. That on top of the BB messenger and the keyboard/email functions on the BB.
    avt123 likes this.
    01-07-12 03:21 PM
    Your wearing clown pants if a five in screen fits "comfortably " in your pocket. If you want that great. My POINT was wrong forum.
    Bad point. Do you own the domain? Author the rules? Are you a staffer? You don't have a say as to whether on not anything is in the wrong forum. If you think it does not follow the rules, report it.

The site owner and his designated people decide. The rest of us post at their pleasure. We may not like it, but we are not obligated to.
    01-07-12 03:23 PM
108 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD