since im the op, my experience on battery life over the 2 wks using the note and mths and yrs on the others are as follows:

From longest lasting to least

Pb
    Bold 9700
    Galaxy Note
    Torch 9810
    Ipone 4s
    Glaxasy 2 Lte
    Lg optimus 2

There is a big jump from the bold to the note in battery life.

But u may get different answers depending on your use.

My previous experience with android was not impressive for battery life but the notes battery is aost the size pf the bold and this one does last.
    01-06-12 02:17 PM
    Interesting how you use the devices. I remember when I first got my 8830WE. It repaced my carrying a Dell PDA, phone, and MP3 player (I felt like Batman with a utility belt). I stopped carrying a small camera around once I got my Tour. The fewer devices I have to carry the better.

Moving over to the Galaxy S had its own quirks. I could do a lot more directly on the SGS compared to the Tour. The added features more than made up for the battery life. The larger screen was also a nice feature. Before I had the SGS, a 4" screen seemed huge. Now it doesn't feel that big, but the idea of carrying a 5" device seems a little on the big side. I'm sure it is all about perception.

Now I carry the SGS along with a 10" tablet. I love the tablet screen even though it means carrying multiple devices again. My wife has a 7" tablet, and that screen size is nice as well (maybe it its just my aging eyes). I also like the idea of carrying just one device again. If there was a 7" tablet with phone capabilities (not just VOIP), I could see using that exclusively. I'm guessing the Gnote comes close to that. I'm definitely interested in hearing more about the Gnote.

I think if they came out with a Playbook with phone capabilities, I'd be interested in that as well.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.
    01-06-12 02:41 PM
    Only if you shut the screen off while talking will you get those numbers. I wonder who's calling.
    Isn't that what BBs do automatically till some activity? For that matter, isn't that what most smartphones do?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-06-12 04:01 PM
    I actually think they were being generous with those numbers. I'll bet in real world application it doesn't even come close to it.
    You're absolutely right. The tests are usually better than user experience. But the Galaxy Note seems to be the exception...in reverse. Tests are getting lower battery times than almost every user review and comment that includes battery life. Some of that may be tweaks, but we do that to iPhones, other Android phones and our Blackberries without getting that kind of results.
    01-06-12 04:08 PM
    And that's exactly what i use it for. I have and Asus transformer and HTC desire HD, and just got an galaxy note. Not only does this phone last me a day and a half, but now i don't need to carry around two devices. I carry around only the Gnote and takes care of both tablet and phone functions, and still fits in my pocket lol.
    I'm considering it for Sprint. I don't really want a phone that large but when I resign myself to the fact that is makes calls and really isn't just a phone, then it changes things.

I like the S-Pen coupled with screen capture. Constantly I find myself taking screen shots to remind myself of something and with this I can even add a handwritten note (which also makes it better) and then a screen capture....or with this you can actually crop an image off your screen and paste it elsewhere....it is incredibly productive.

If none of you have gone to the Samsung website and watched the videos of it and looked at the case studies, this thing really is amazing.

It's not a phone. It's a communications tool. it makes calls, too. And it's pocketable (barely).
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-06-12 04:27 PM
    The Galaxy Note is a notepad - in pictures it looks like it's 1/3 the size of the playbook.

It's a BIG phone with pen writing capability - i.e. notepad

It's like the latest Apple Newton
    01-06-12 05:23 PM
    Do you really want to argue the battery life of one device over the battery life spread between two devices?
    Here's the thing, it is known not to expect an Android device to go days with a single battery charge. You went and found a website that ran a test. But if you'll go and actually look at user reviews, they're not matching up with what others are saying that are actually using the device as a daily driver. And there are some that have responded to this thread that are actually using the device.

Part of the problem with forums (any forum) is you get a number of people that will post information about a device or an entire brand based on what they think vs what they know from actually using the device. There's a reason why I don't make iPhone statements...I've never used one. I've heard what people say. I know I don't care for the Apple corporations attitude. But I've never used the device to actually know the device.

When I had my BB devices, I was using them enough that I could never make it through a day until I got a 2500+ mah battery. So I don't expect any device to last me a day.

If I want to know how a device really performs, I'm gonna go read user reviews.
    01-06-12 11:09 PM
    I used to combo the 9700 Bold with the PB until I traded it in for the 9810 Torch. Between the 2 combos, if I were to put a number on it, I would rate the 9810 Torch + PB at 1.3 times the satisfaction of the 9700 + PB. In addition, I tried for various months first carrying an LG Optimus 2 and then an iPhone 4S. These were only on wifi mode but I needed them for skype, kindle and some better games than the BB or PB could provide.

But never did I leave the home without the Torch+PB. Neither the LG nor the iPhone 4S could get me to drop the Torch nor the PB.

I just got the Galaxy Note for 2 wks now. So my BB patterns are the Bold 9700 + Note. I do not carry the PB now that I have the note and I down graded my Torch back to the Bold 9700.

Although I liked the speed for browsing on OS7 Torch compared to the Bold 9700, I missed the battery life of the Bold 9700. I carried the PB for the main reason of browsing and lately with the addition of a few good games, the PB for gaming. So the PB made up for the Torch browsing experience. However, the Torch for simple browsing (like looking at stock prices) was definitely much handier than the PB and the Bold.

Now that I have the Note, the 5 inch screen kindle is very liveable. The Gingerbread OS is comparable to the iOS and all the apps on the droid are also on the iOS. But with the Note, I finally have found that I can live without the PB.

Finally, neither the Note, LG nor the iPhone 4S can get me to forgo the BB smartphone because it is the only one in my part of the whole that offers an unlimited global data roaming for USD 50 bucks a month. There is no such plan for the droid nor the iOS. That on top of the BB messenger and the keyboard/email functions on the BB.

But I still keep the PB around for the solid gaming video and sound. So it is becoming more like a gaming machine to me now.

The OP still carries 2 devices because of wireless plans!!!!! Look above 2 paragraphs.

So what you're saying is you downgraded your 9810 to the 9700 for better battery life but then switch to the Note LTE for the worst possible battery life. You then left your Playbook for a screen that you have to scroll around on on web pages. You lost your ability to BBM Email and SMS on the Playbooks larger screen. If you needed a larger phone screen for a back-up device you should have gotten the 9850/9860. Or you could have simply gotten a spare battery for the 9810. To each his own. It just sounds like you gave up a lot of benefits for nothing.

I said to each his own!!!! Look above at the bottom line.

Here's the thing, it is known not to expect an Android device to go days with a single battery charge. You went and found a website that ran a test. But if you'll go and actually look at user reviews, they're not matching up with what others are saying that are actually using the device as a daily driver. And there are some that have responded to this thread that are actually using the device.

Part of the problem with forums (any forum) is you get a number of people that will post information about a device or an entire brand based on what they think vs what they know from actually using the device. There's a reason why I don't make iPhone statements...I've never used one. I've heard what people say. I know I don't care for the Apple corporations attitude. But I've never used the device to actually know the device.

When I had my BB devices, I was using them enough that I could never make it through a day until I got a 2500+ mah battery. So I don't expect any device to last me a day.

If I want to know how a device really performs, I'm gonna go read user reviews.
    I have used all of the OSs on the market. I chose BB because of QNX, it is the best OS on the market now. The Note is a niche product with its own set of weaknesses. I don't see any comparison between using a small Android Tablet and a BB phone and a BB/Playbook combination. If I wanted to know about the Note I would go over to Androidcentral. I already know enough about it that I don't care to. That's why I'm on Crackberry to find info related to BB products.
    01-07-12 12:31 AM
    I'm considering it for Sprint. I don't really want a phone that large but when I resign myself to the fact that is makes calls and really isn't just a phone, then it changes things.

I like the S-Pen coupled with screen capture. Constantly I find myself taking screen shots to remind myself of something and with this I can even add a handwritten note (which also makes it better) and then a screen capture....or with this you can actually crop an image off your screen and paste it elsewhere....it is incredibly productive.

If none of you have gone to the Samsung website and watched the videos of it and looked at the case studies, this thing really is amazing.

It's not a phone. It's a communications tool. it makes calls, too. And it's pocketable (barely).
    I shared your exact feelings before i got my note. Get to know more about it and its potential as an all-in-one device. Also on a side note, the accuracy of the s pen is shocking to say the least. Once you get this device nothing else will ever seem possible to use.

Seriously, you will literally laugh every time you see an iPhone.
    01-07-12 01:23 AM
    I shared your exact feelings before i got my note. Get to know more about it and its potential as an all-in-one device. Also on a side note, the accuracy of the s pen is shocking to say the least. Once you get this device nothing else will ever seem possible to use.

Seriously, you will literally laugh every time you see an iPhone.

I think they are more likely to laugh at your poorly rendered screen that keeps changing colors on its own. Or maybe they will laugh at you when you try to play a HD video and gets a bunch on black blocks. Android really needs to work on the stability of their OS instead of pushing out versions. XDA is having a field day with that screen.
    01-07-12 02:38 AM
    I think they are more likely to laugh at your poorly rendered screen that keeps changing colors on its own. Or maybe they will laugh at you when you try to play a HD video and gets a bunch on black blocks. Android really needs to work on the stability of their OS instead of pushing out versions. XDA is having a field day with that screen.
    I have no idea what your talking about...I run H.264 format videos through this thing all day and never had a single rendering problem. Color reproduction is fantastic to say the least. I think your confused sir. I also don't see any forms of this "issue" on Xda (a forum i frequent). And how wouldn't Android be theoretically fixing stability issues by pushing updates? Which by the way aren't any noticeable to me in any department.
    Y no make sense?
    01-07-12 07:26 AM
    Do you hold that phone monstrosity up to your ear? Too big for a phone and too small for a tablet for my taste.
    01-07-12 07:47 AM
    Do you hold that phone monstrosity up to your ear? Too big for a phone and too small for a tablet for my taste.

I personally don't talk on the phone very much, when i do though, yes i put it up to mah face. Its not so bad lol.

It is kinda like holding a book to your face though lol.
    01-07-12 08:02 AM
    I personally don't talk on the phone very much, when i do though, yes i put it up to mah face. Its not so bad lol.

It is kinda like holding a book to your face though lol.
    LOL I can imagine. Bluetooth all the way huh.
    01-07-12 08:22 AM
    I have used all of the OSs on the market. I chose BB because of QNX, it is the best OS on the market now. The Note is a niche product with its own set of weaknesses.
    Problem is..QNX isn't a mobile phone OS yet. So it's apples and oranges.

I will agree that the Note is a niche product, and like every phone out there, has it's own set of weaknesses.

Obviously the Note isn't for everyone..heck..Android isn't for everyone. You say Android should work on it's stability instead of pushing out versions. But don't forget..it's only at version 4..and considering version 3 was meant for tablets..it's coming along very nicely. BB's are on version 7 already..and they still have their issues.

Anyways..found a nice little video demonstrating the Note and it's capabilities. That phone is huge! But I like it

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-07-12 08:45 AM
    I have no idea what your talking about...I run H.264 format videos through this thing all day and never had a single rendering problem. Color reproduction is fantastic to say the least. I think your confused sir. I also don't see any forms of this "issue" on Xda (a forum i frequent). And how wouldn't Android be theoretically fixing stability issues by pushing updates? Which by the way aren't any noticeable to me in any department.
    Y no make sense?
    I would point you in the direction but I want you to discover it on your own.
    01-07-12 09:28 AM
    Problem is..QNX isn't a mobile phone OS yet. So it's apples and oranges.

I will agree that the Note is a niche product, and like every phone out there, has it's own set of weaknesses.

Obviously the Note isn't for everyone..heck..Android isn't for everyone. You say Android should work on it's stability instead of pushing out versions. But don't forget..it's only at version 4..and considering version 3 was meant for tablets..it's coming along very nicely. BB's are on version 7 already..and they still have their issues.

Anyways..found a nice little video demonstrating the Note and it's capabilities. That phone is huge! But I like it

QNX phones are coming and BB7 is working nicely for the time being. You're right Android isn't for everyone. That's why I'm on a BB site.
    01-07-12 09:32 AM
    I like Sammy devices better than Apple devices, too bad the battery life is not good yet.
    The SG Note is a big phone, it'd be more appealing if they offered with a slick bluetooth headset.

Having typed that, I'm good with my PB+9900 combo.
    01-07-12 09:52 AM
    to tell you the truth. after reading this thread.

I'm considering getting the Galaxy Note and not the playbook. but since I love blackberry and its overall performance. I'm still determined to get the playbook
    01-07-12 10:14 AM
    I would point you in the direction but I want you to discover it on your own.
    Oh c'mon! I just googled Galaxy Note xda and there's close to 3000 threads on the Galaxy Note. It prob won't matter to you but when you throw out that statement, it makes me think you're just rehashing some information that you heard from someone in passing. It's not up to us to prove information you drop.

From my experience of seeing the Note used, I've never seen issues with HD video being shown. And the screen looks fantastic.

I have a feeling that you have owned 1 Android based phone on some early OS and have since passed judgement on the entire grouping of phones that are run on Android software. It's okay though. The important part is that everyone uses the phone that they enjoy using. It'd just be nice if people stopped spreading information based on rumor than actual information based on first hand experience. And, no, my experience with my 3 BBs does not qualify me to have first had experience with the 9900 and etc.
    01-07-12 10:59 AM
    Oh c'mon! I just googled Galaxy Note xda and there's close to 3000 threads on the Galaxy Note. It prob won't matter to you but when you throw out that statement, it makes me think you're just rehashing some information that you heard from someone in passing. It's not up to us to prove information you drop.
    I'm pretty sure he seen this one thread (which is a whopping 5 pages of a few people's discussions) and has assumed it's a big issue lol.

Galaxy Note colour rendering issue: started working on it. - xda-developers

Either way..no point in trying to argue or compare it. The OP simply created a thread stating how it had helped him..and fanboy's are simply trolling because it's "not a BB".
    01-07-12 11:10 AM
    I'm pretty sure he seen this one thread (which is a whopping 5 pages of a few people's discussions) and has assumed it's a big issue lol.

Galaxy Note colour rendering issue: started working on it. - xda-developers

Either way..no point in trying to argue or compare it. The OP simply created a thread stating how it had helped him..and fanboy's are simply trolling because it's "not a BB".
    It's not just that thread. Click on the two source links in the first post and read all the pages those have as well. Android doesn't compare to QNX. I will enjoy the Playbook and wait for the phones that follow.
    01-07-12 11:24 AM
    It's not just that thread. Click on the two source links in the first post and read all the pages those have as well. Android doesn't compare to QNX. I will enjoy the Playbook and wait for the phones that follow.
    So Android won't compare to something that hasn't even been released yet? I don't get this line of reasoning at all.

Now if you were to word it "based on the touted capabilities of QNX when it is released will be better than Android devices because of (and then list the reasons)", I might be with you. I might disagree but it'd at least be a good point.

And when QNX is released, do you even know what the evolution of Android devices will look like/be capable of?

Some of you guys are Debbie downers. A person posts that they like X device more than Y device because of certain reasons. And then some people come in and are all like "Oh man, Android battery life sucks and BB10 and QNX will be awesome (notice the will is italicized because it's not even out yet).

What would be awesome is if the thread started with teh OP talking about just what he did. Then a poster replies with "I had this Android device once and the battery life was terrible. And I read on a thread over at XDA (insert thread link) that the screen was having issues. That's prob why I wouldn't buy one. Then others chime in wtih that have actually used the device and etc. Then we actually have a really good thread with actual information being passed on. In other words, we get a bit of knowledge without having resort to 'that device sucksfest 2000'.
    01-07-12 11:56 AM
    Android doesn't compare to QNX. I will enjoy the Playbook and wait for the phones that follow.
    You're right on that one! Android has auto-correct, predictive text, keyboard options, native email, native calendar and the list goes on. Only thing it doesn't offer is a beta version of a Blackberry App player..but then I guess it wouldn't need to run apps it already supports natively
    howarmat and BoldtotheMax like this.
    01-07-12 11:56 AM
    NO, It is also available in Mexico since Late November/early December.
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-07-12 12:03 PM
108 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD