I used to combo the 9700 Bold with the PB until I traded it in for the 9810 Torch. Between the 2 combos, if I were to put a number on it, I would rate the 9810 Torch + PB at 1.3 times the satisfaction of the 9700 + PB. In addition, I tried for various months first carrying an LG Optimus 2 and then an iPhone 4S. These were only on wifi mode but I needed them for skype, kindle and some better games than the BB or PB could provide.

But never did I leave the home without the Torch+PB. Neither the LG nor the iPhone 4S could get me to drop the Torch nor the PB.

I just got the Galaxy Note for 2 wks now. So my BB patterns are the Bold 9700 + Note. I do not carry the PB now that I have the note and I down graded my Torch back to the Bold 9700.

Although I liked the speed for browsing on OS7 Torch compared to the Bold 9700, I missed the battery life of the Bold 9700. I carried the PB for the main reason of browsing and lately with the addition of a few good games, the PB for gaming. So the PB made up for the Torch browsing experience. However, the Torch for simple browsing (like looking at stock prices) was definitely much handier than the PB and the Bold.

Now that I have the Note, the 5 inch screen kindle is very liveable. The Gingerbread OS is comparable to the iOS and all the apps on the droid are also on the iOS. But with the Note, I finally have found that I can live without the PB.

Finally, neither the Note, LG nor the iPhone 4S can get me to forgo the BB smartphone because it is the only one in my part of the whole that offers an unlimited global data roaming for USD 50 bucks a month. There is no such plan for the droid nor the iOS. That on top of the BB messenger and the keyboard/email functions on the BB.

But I still keep the PB around for the solid gaming video and sound. So it is becoming more like a gaming machine to me now.
    JR A likes this.
    01-06-12 06:41 AM
    The Galaxy Note has me really re-evaluating my 9930. That thing looks friggin awesome! My line of work requires alot of documentation and note taking so this thing looks like it could quite possibly replace both a phone and a tablet. Only drawback I see is the android OS.

Do you live in the states? How did you get your hands on one? Isnt it only available in Europe?
    [email protected] likes this.
    01-06-12 07:29 AM
    The Galaxy Note has me really re-evaluating my 9930. That thing looks friggin awesome! My line of work requires alot of documentation and note taking so this thing looks like it could quite possibly replace both a phone and a tablet. Only drawback I see is the android OS.

Do you live in the states? How did you get your hands on one? Isnt it only available in Europe?
    I got it brand new off the street shops in Singapore. The manual was in some european language. Works like a charm. I also have the galaxy 2 Lte. That is one fast 4g surfing in japan but only the Note got me to drop the PB. I guess it is the screen size.
    01-06-12 08:26 AM
    From what i've been reading..the Note will be available soon in the States (AT&T & Sprint I believe)..
    01-06-12 09:05 AM
    Yeah Android Central had something about that - a leaked release or something on AT&T.

Kind of disappointing that it will only be available with AT&T - they have crap coverage in my area. Verizon gives me full bars wherever I go.
    Teamxrx likes this.
    01-06-12 10:33 AM
    I used to combo the 9700 Bold with the PB until I traded it in for the 9810 Torch. Between the 2 combos, if I were to put a number on it, I would rate the 9810 Torch + PB at 1.3 times the satisfaction of the 9700 + PB. In addition, I tried for various months first carrying an LG Optimus 2 and then an iPhone 4S. These were only on wifi mode but I needed them for skype, kindle and some better games than the BB or PB could provide.

But never did I leave the home without the Torch+PB. Neither the LG nor the iPhone 4S could get me to drop the Torch nor the PB.

I just got the Galaxy Note for 2 wks now. So my BB patterns are the Bold 9700 + Note. I do not carry the PB now that I have the note and I down graded my Torch back to the Bold 9700.

Although I liked the speed for browsing on OS7 Torch compared to the Bold 9700, I missed the battery life of the Bold 9700. I carried the PB for the main reason of browsing and lately with the addition of a few good games, the PB for gaming. So the PB made up for the Torch browsing experience. However, the Torch for simple browsing (like looking at stock prices) was definitely much handier than the PB and the Bold.

Now that I have the Note, the 5 inch screen kindle is very liveable. The Gingerbread OS is comparable to the iOS and all the apps on the droid are also on the iOS. But with the Note, I finally have found that I can live without the PB.

Finally, neither the Note, LG nor the iPhone 4S can get me to forgo the BB smartphone because it is the only one in my part of the whole that offers an unlimited global data roaming for USD 50 bucks a month. There is no such plan for the droid nor the iOS. That on top of the BB messenger and the keyboard/email functions on the BB.

But I still keep the PB around for the solid gaming video and sound. So it is becoming more like a gaming machine to me now.
    So what you're saying is you downgraded your 9810 to the 9700 for better battery life but then switch to the Note LTE for the worst possible battery life. You then left your Playbook for a screen that you have to scroll around on on web pages. You lost your ability to BBM Email and SMS on the Playbooks larger screen. If you needed a larger phone screen for a back-up device you should have gotten the 9850/9860. Or you could have simply gotten a spare battery for the 9810. To each his own. It just sounds like you gave up a lot of benefits for nothing.
    01-06-12 10:51 AM
    Yeah the Gnote is a fantastic all in one device. IMHO there is not a combination of devices needed. Its the perfect device to accommodate various uses. Phonomenal piece of tech.
    01-06-12 10:52 AM
    So what you're saying is you downgraded your 9810 to the 9700 for better battery life but then switch to the Note LTE for the worst possible battery life. You then left your Playbook for a screen that you have to scroll around on on web pages. You lost your ability to BBM Email and SMS on the Playbooks larger screen. If you needed a larger phone screen for a back-up device you should have gotten the 9850/9860. Or you could have simply gotten a spare battery for the 9810. To each his own. It just sounds like you gave up a lot of benefits for nothing.
    Well the note actually has a 2500mah battery which i on average get about 18hrs heavy use. So it isn't exactly a compromise.
    01-06-12 10:56 AM
    Shockingly, the Note has some of the BEST battery life for any Android device. There are many that report that. Better than the iPhone as well.

This is a really slick phone/mini-tablet combo. The more I see how the productivity of it pans out, it makes sense.

Samsung is on to something. Why carry two devices when you can use one for nearly everything?
    01-06-12 11:13 AM
    Too big of a screen for me. But for someone who wants to get the best of both worlds (tablet and smartphone), this can be a great device.
    01-06-12 11:14 AM
    Shockingly, the Note has some of the BEST battery life for any Android device. There are many that report that. Better than the iPhone as well.

This is a really slick phone/mini-tablet combo. The more I see how the productivity of it pans out, it makes sense.

Samsung is on to something. Why carry two devices when you can use one for nearly everything?
    And that's exactly what i use it for. I have and Asus transformer and HTC desire HD, and just got an galaxy note. Not only does this phone last me a day and a half, but now i don't need to carry around two devices. I carry around only the Gnote and takes care of both tablet and phone functions, and still fits in my pocket lol.
    01-06-12 11:26 AM

Samsung just copied the Dell Streak. I had one and I know it's downfalls. As for battery life there is no way it can compare to a BB phone not even with the BB Bridged all the time. I will agree that having one device that does everything is a good solution but now that I have the BB Playbook combination I know there are times when having two devices can be even more productive.
    01-06-12 11:27 AM
    Samsung just copied the Dell Streak. I had one and I know it's downfalls. As for battery life there is no way it can compare to a BB phone not even with the BB Bridged all the time. I will agree that having one device that does everything is a good solution but now that I have the BB Playbook combination I know there are times when having two devices can be even more productive.
    Comparing the Streak to a Note is like comparing two completely different animals. The streak was running on like 1.6 or 2.1. There's a world of difference between 2.1 and 2.3.7 .

Did you actually research the battery life on the Note or are you just making assumptions of the battery life based on your one experience with an Android phone that's way old?
    kraski and howarmat like this.
    01-06-12 12:02 PM
    Comparing the Streak to a Note is like comparing two completely different animals. The streak was running on like 1.6 or 2.1. There's a world of difference between 2.1 and 2.3.7 .

Did you actually research the battery life on the Note or are you just making assumptions of the battery life based on your one experience with an Android phone that's way old?
    I agree. The Note's pen and note taking features are great, and Samsung actually did some nice customization to Android. I don't usually like skins, but they added some nice features. The device looks great for those that don't want a tablet but want something a bit bigger than a normal phone. The screen is awesome.
    01-06-12 12:10 PM
    Do you really want to argue the battery life of one device over the battery life spread between two devices?
    01-06-12 12:15 PM

Well said. I've seen lots of user comments and battery life is one thing they all rave about. And the UI is good. Plus it's definitely getting ICS (4.x.x). Since my phone use is more business oriented and I tend to carry only one device, this might be the one phone that could take me away from Blackberry. No matter what anyone says, one size does not fit all.
    01-06-12 12:23 PM
    Well said. I've seen lots of user comments and battery life is one thing they all rave about. And the UI is good. Plus it's definitely getting ICS (4.x.x). Since my phone use is more business oriented and I tend to carry only one device, this might be the one phone that could take me away from Blackberry. No matter what anyone says, one size does not fit all.
    You're dreaming if you think the battery life is better than BB. It can't even beat the iPhone.

Samsung Galaxy Note battery life test ready, here go the results [TEST]
    01-06-12 12:39 PM
    Do you really want to argue the battery life of one device over the battery life spread between two devices?
    What does it matter if it last you a full 24hrs?

Do you really want to argue the inefficiency of 2 devices over 1?
    [email protected] and JR A like this.
    01-06-12 12:41 PM
    What does it matter if it last you a full 24hrs?

Do you really want to argue the inefficiency of 2 devices over 1?
    Are you really trying to compare Android to QNX? With a battery that size I could power my house.
    ekv likes this.
    01-06-12 12:49 PM
    You're dreaming if you think the battery life is better than BB. It can't even beat the iPhone.

The web browsing results from this article are horrible. It is no surprise the device gets great call time and very good video playback though, it has a big battery.
    Last edited by avt123; 01-06-12 at 04:09 PM.
    01-06-12 12:52 PM

Ya because those tests are the be all end all

And one doesn't have to dream to imagine better battery life than a BB. All's one has to do is read the gazillion threads about sh*tty battery in the 9900 forum (which has a whopping 3" screen I might add!!)
    01-06-12 12:53 PM

Which means that, if I mostly use on device apps (which I do), and actually use my phone to talk (which I do), then yes I will get better battery life. Based on the test you cited, one site's opinion. 'Nuff said.
    01-06-12 12:55 PM
    Ya because those tests are the be all end all

And one doesn't have to dream to imagine better battery life than a BB. All's one has to do is read the gazillion threads about sh*tty battery in the 9900 forum (which has a whopping 3" screen I might add!!)
    I actually think they were being generous with those numbers. I'll bet in real world application it doesn't even come close to it.
    01-06-12 12:57 PM
    Which means that, if I mostly use on device apps (which I do), and actually use my phone to talk (which I do), then yes I will get better battery life. Based on the test you cited, one site's opinion. 'Nuff said.
    Only if you shut the screen off while talking will you get those numbers. I wonder who's calling.
    01-06-12 01:01 PM

I'm gonna tell you right now those test results hold no merit for me. I have had the web browser running on my note and have been actively using it since yesterday around 6pm. Phone hasn't been charged since 3 pm yesterday and its about 3 pm now and there is 27% remaining on my battery.

My girlfriends 4s needs to be charged nightly, and even when I had my 9000 it had to be charged nightly also.

This is honestly the only device i have had last this long. Just saying.
    01-06-12 02:00 PM
108 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD