After I got my Curve I didn't know how important it was to monitor free memory or to keep as much free as possible. By the time I did my first battery pull, my free memory was down to about 12MB. It went up to just over 21 MB. I then read and followed Stoney's instructions for the "Simple" memory freeing. The amount of free memory went up to just over 24MB. The only thing I didn't do was run the MaxMem program.

My main question is how important is it to run the program and free up even more memory? I also cleared the logs and cookies and that only cleared a little room and it means I have to reenter some passwords so maybe that wasn't so important to do, lol. If I run the MaxMem program, will I find I miss or need something that's deleted like voice dialing in the hands free world of California?

Will I notice the difference between 24 MB and, say, 30 MB? How much free memory do you think is enough?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 07-07-08 at 02:27 AM.
    07-07-08 02:22 AM
    Will I notice the difference between 24 MB and, say, 30 MB? How much free memory do you think is enough?
    Memory is kind of like horsepower in a car. Most of the time you are fine but it sure helps to have that extra horsepower under your hood when you need to avoid an accident.

Generally, whether you have 12, 24 or 30MB isn't going to impact your user experience as it relates to running programs. But if your memory gets too low, your BlackBerry will start looking for things to kill to free up space. You may not want your emails deleted when you are on that business trip that really matters. You also might want to have space available when that "killer app" comes out you really want.

I've deleted as much garbage as I can (sample video, unnecessary languages, etc). I've also installed and run the MaxMem program that you mentioned. I highly recommend it. It did what it promised and got rid of a lot of garbage on my Curve (wallpaper, voice dialing, etc) that I don't need or want.

I have 3-4 large programs on my Curve that are important to me. After deleting as much stuff as I could and using MaxMem, I have about 23 MB of memory available. Before I started deleting things, I had about 12.

I LOVE my Curve. One of RIM's weakpoints as a company is the lack of more memory in their devices. It would be nice if RIM were a little more generous with memory but until they are, we all need to manage our space as best we can.

My recommendation is get rid of the junk and run MaxMem. When it comes to memory, more is better.
    07-07-08 02:45 AM
    As far as I understand anything under 10-12 MB (10,000,000-12,000,000) the BB will start eating message logs and other stuff you probably don't want to lose. I would aim to keep it above 15 MB just to be safe. I reboot my BB once a week with alt+right shift+del and that frees up about 10 MB or so. A thread was just posted earlier about an app from aerize call card loaded that allows you to store apps on the memory card. This sounds like it will be quite handy to keep the device memory nice and clear. I am awaiting to hear what people say about it. When I get more apps I'll want to know how well the app works.

07-07-08 06:51 AM
    10 - 12 MB is the safe minimum to keep you from unexpectedly losing call logs, messages, and old calendar entries. As for Aerize Card Loader, it allows you to install apps from the Media Card. You don't have to wait to read reviews, just type Aerize into the Search engine and you'll find mostly negative reviews.

07-07-08 07:13 AM
    ^^^ agree, anything over 12 mb is a good amount of free memory, I run with about 14 mb free on mine and never have any problems.
    07-07-08 07:49 AM
    Thanks, I thought after reading recent threads about memory that many new members would like to know the answer to that question - and 12 mb is the number that comes up consistently. I was amazed at how much memory was released with a reset.

I remember the days when we only 64 kb of ram and a 500 kb hard drive on our computers and we used to freak out about how much memory we had. We'd buy programs like XTree to manage our files, and we'd have to delete programs and/or files so we could buy the hot new program and have room to install it Now we really have a hard time using all the memory we have.

I know it will be a great day when someone comes up with a good program that will allow us to keep and use programs on/from our media cards. Our awesome little friends will become indispensable companions. It will be the day laptops die. Just thinking, lol.

07-07-08 01:20 PM
    12 Mb, buy no coincidence, is the recommended setting for Device Memory Limit.

That memory appears to be reserved for the Media Player, likely for expanding and buffering media files.

Interesting to note, v4.5 introduces a new 5 Mb setting.
    07-07-08 04:14 PM
    That makes me wonder about the direction RIM is going. I thought the new operating software was moving to make the BB's more media capable, unless I'm missing something, wouldn't less memory devoted to media reduce that capability? Or have they figured a way to use less?

07-07-08 04:32 PM
    Lets start with the 8330 and 96 Mb. I think RIM has seen the light, everything will have more memory in future.

I have experimented with the 5 Mb setting, no issues with tunes or medium length video clips. It could possably error on an more complex or longer video clip, but the setting is totally transparent for typical use.
    07-07-08 04:37 PM
    ya i haven't had any issues with the setting on 5 mb
    07-07-08 04:48 PM
    I will find out soon. I'm waiting for a hi speed wireless connection coming to my house next week so I can download the upgrade and install it on my Curve.

07-07-08 05:30 PM
    Well I don't know if there is ever enough......

I am sitting at 42MB+ after a reset and I have the following apps installed:

Alarms Pro
    Berryacode
    Beyond 411
    BB Maps
    BB Msgr
    CB Launcher
    Word to go, Slideshow to go, Sheets to go
    GetItBack
    Google Maps
    Google Sync
    iCallmanagerLight
    MemoPad
    Opera Mini
    Password Keeper
    Shark Modem
    Tasks
    Vlingo
    Viigo tango
    VZ Nav
    MaxMem (a must!)

I love my new curve....
    07-07-08 08:02 PM

Alarms Pro
    Berryacode
    Beyond 411
    BB Maps
    BB Msgr
    CB Launcher
    GetItBack
    Google Maps
    Google Sync
    iCallmanagerLight
    MemoPad
    Opera Mini
    Password Keeper
    Shark Modem
    Tasks
    Vlingo
    Viigo tango
    VZ Nav
    MaxMem (a must!)

I love my new curve....
    Goood GOD that's a lot of apps!!

07-07-08 08:22 PM
    Wow. How many original apps did you keep? I guess I already know, but how good is word to go?

07-07-08 08:25 PM
    Goood GOD that's a lot of apps!!

Hello, my name is Adam..................and I AM an app-a-holic.....

Word To Go is alright but I am really digging Sheets To Go. I have a few charts/tables for work that I use and they are in spreadsheet format. I would normally have to memorize them. Really nice to have them on hand.
    Last edited by adambigge; 07-07-08 at 08:33 PM.
    07-07-08 08:31 PM

Alarms Pro
    Berryacode
    Beyond 411
    BB Maps
    BB Msgr
    CB Launcher
    GetItBack
    Google Maps
    Google Sync
    iCallmanagerLight
    MemoPad
    Opera Mini
    Password Keeper
    Shark Modem
    Tasks
    Vlingo
    Viigo tango
    VZ Nav
    MaxMem (a must!)

I love my new curve....
    Congrats?? You have a device with 96MB of total device memory

Comparably speaking:

You have used about 46% of your memory... a GSM user with 20Mb free would have used 31% or so. The point is, it is far easier to have that much free memory on a CDMA Curve

I could only wish I had that much device memory!
    07-07-08 08:31 PM
    On sheets to go, Adam, do the formulas work? I mean can you enter data and get results? I could use something like that - we live in Exel at work.

07-07-08 08:42 PM
    On sheets to go, Adam, do the formulas work? I mean can you enter data and get results? I could use something like that - we live in Exel at work.

I honestly haven't done much in the application yet. I did notice that it has basic functions like Cell formatting and Autosum built in. I could only assume that the premium version would expand from there...

I guess if you memorized all the functions and equations you needed you could get by with the basic version. But you cannot create documents. Only edit existing ones.
    07-07-08 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD