OK, I know there's dozens of these threads but I thought I'd post some general info again just to make searches on the topic easier for people.

Taken from "Tethering (AKA Phone-as-Modem): Get the Facts!" posted here. This article was last updated 26 April 2010. If you want more detailed info an answers to other questions, hit the link and read the article. No other info concerning T-Mobile or other providers was listed in the article.

Tethering incurs an extra fee and is NOT included in the cost of data packages that you can add in order to access web and email on your phone (for example, if you have a Blackberry and are paying for web and email access, that fee does not include tethering). However, unlike a dedicated mobile broadband device, you are NOT contracted to pay for the tethering feature each month - you can turn the feature on and off as needed and the monthly fee is pro-rated if you only use it for a partial month. Below are the costs for tethering with Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T:

Sprint:

* Tethering fee: $15/month (plus you must have data pack - see next bullet point)
    * Requirements: Compatible phone AND Sprint Power Vision data pack ($30/month) or Blackberry data pack ($30/month)
    * Restrictions: CANNOT be added to the "Simply Everything" or "Everything" plans; cannot be added by individual-liable accounts (read more here)

Verizon:

* Tethering fee:
    o With standard (non-PDA) phone: $49.99/mo
    o With PDA/Blackberry and $29.99/mo data pack: $30/mo
    o With PDA/Blackberry and $44.99/mo data pack: $15/mo
    * Requirements: Compatible phone
    * Restrictions: None

AT&T:

* Tethering fee:
    o With standard (non-PDA) phone: $60/mo for 5GB; $40/mo for 200MB; $20/mo for 10MB (keep in mind that 200MB is hardly any data at all, and 10MB is virtually nothing - we DO NOT recommend these plans!)
    o With PDA/Blackberry and $30/mo data pack: $30/mo
    * Requirements: Compatible phone
    * Restrictions: None
    06-30-10 03:34 PM
    What, no Canadian carriers? I feel left out, your narrow-mindedness is astounding. I thought you guys knew all about us?
    06-30-10 03:41 PM
    Sorry, that's what the article put out. Apparently, they're talking about the most popular US carriers.
    06-30-10 03:45 PM
    Sorry, that's what the article put out. Apparently, they're talking about the most popular US carriers.
    I was just pulling your leg.

Big warning, I do that.
    06-30-10 03:47 PM
    Yeah, I kinda figured you were. No worries, I'm a prankster myself!
    06-30-10 03:50 PM
    Yeah, I kinda figured you were. No worries, I'm a prankster myself!
    Cool, race to see who gets banned first?
    06-30-10 03:57 PM
    What, no Canadian carriers? I feel left out, your narrow-mindedness is astounding. I thought you guys knew all about us?

ehhhhh???????
    06-30-10 04:15 PM
    No tethering fee for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-10 10:10 AM
    Moved out of Off Topic to General Discussions. Thanks for posting this
    07-04-10 11:43 AM
    None for me either cuz I use Tether.
    07-04-10 11:48 AM
    Tethering Plans
    Effective immediately, tethering will continue to be included at no additional charge for Rogers customers who subscribe to a data plan of 1 GB and above*. This new policy replaces the current tethering promotion, originally set to expire on May 3, 2010. As the Canadian smartphone leader, Rogers is dedicated to helping our customers adopt and benefit from innovative new technologies and applications like tethering.
    Additional usage will be charged at $1/MB. Cannot combine with any other data plan. Tethering included. Additional data is charged by the MB or GB and is rounded up to the closest KB (1 GB =1,024 MB; 1 MB = 1,024 KB). Data usage is subject to a monthly overage limit of 10 GB.
    500 MB of data for personal email via BlackBerry Internet Service, Internet browsing, tethering (using a phone as a modem), BlackBerry Messenger and Windows Live Messenger1 (5/MB for additional data usage) ...
    These are the top three wireless companies in Canada. Each of them have subsiduarly carriers offering "value" services.

Short version, each carrier offers Tethering to the limits of their data plans and is subject to overcharges.
    07-04-10 12:02 PM
    I'm thinking this is a good candidate for the Tips, How To & FAQ section. What do you guys think? Maybe get some info about the tethering Apps (tether, PDAnet, etc) in here too and maybe some popular euopean carriers and it would be a Tips thread for SURE!
    07-04-10 01:44 PM
    I'm thinking this is a good candidate for the Tips, How To & FAQ section. What do you guys think? Maybe get some info about the tethering Apps (tether, PDAnet, etc) in here too and maybe some popular euopean carriers and it would be a Tips thread for SURE!
    Yes, I think so too. However anything to do with carriers changes fast. A year ago I had troble fonding a 30 day BlackBerry plan with either pre-paid or fixed minutes. Now I have a choice of 5 here in the UK.

In the US there are now 2 carriers offering 30 day BlackBeerry plans T-Mobile and Boost Mobile. This will increase rapidly ove r the next few months.

The above is off topic, I know but it illustrates what I mean. Carrier data is highly volatile. When one changes, the others copy and try to beat them.

That said, I still think this is a good candiate for the Tips, How To & FAQ section. It will just need to be kept updated. Good call pkcable.
    07-04-10 01:51 PM
    No mention of T-Mobile? Weird.

T-Mobile lets you tether as long as you have a smartphone data plan.

07-04-10 02:07 PM
    No mention of T-Mobile? Weird.

T-Mobile lets you tether as long as you have a smartphone data plan.

Not anymore! I mean now it got meantioned (it's still free)
    07-04-10 02:58 PM
    if i'm not mistaken...

tmobile: free?
    07-04-10 07:53 PM
    if i'm not mistaken...

tmobile: free?
    T-Mobile does have free tethering as long as you have a Smart Phone and a Smart Phone plan.

5 Gig cap, before they throttle your speeds back about 1/3 of what they typically are.
    07-07-10 09:46 AM
    Thanks to everyone for the input, especially for recent updates. We all know the carriers (aka providers) change like the weather. That said, I hope future viewers don't take the info presented as an 'all inclusive' or 'final' say of what each provider offers. It's always best to check with your service provider on what's available.

As new technology becomes available, so shall the changes! Keep up the post and tips! Thanks again!
    07-26-10 02:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD