With all the negativity on these boards about RIM falling behind. Does that make the launch of 6.0 that much more critical? Or is it more of a device issue?
    05-13-10 03:08 PM
    People just want a fresh new look to the berry interface to be on par with the current phones being offered on the market. Along with that, a better browsing experience. Other then that, the platform is fine.
    05-13-10 03:22 PM
    The entire world and all human existence.

If you're not happy with RIM, you should get a different phone. I don't think anyone here would mind too much. Whether 6 is a huge success or a not, none of RIM's corporate business will change anything. Some younger users might leave, but that's not (never has been, never will be) a significant concern to RIM.

Everyone should do whatever they need to in order to stay happy. Whatever phone you have is pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
    05-13-10 03:29 PM
    IMO Rim is in real trouble here, They need more then 6.0 to save them. Rim needs to get on the ball and try to catch up to all these monster devices being released.
    05-13-10 03:31 PM
    People just want a fresh new look to the berry interface to be on par with the current phones being offered on the market. Along with that, a better browsing experience. Other then that, the platform is fine.
    I don't have a problem with the current platform whatsoever. I just sense a lot of hostility on these boards regarding RIM's direction.
    05-13-10 03:38 PM
    That is one of the worst avatars I've ever seen.
    05-13-10 03:46 PM
    In reading through crackberry these last months, it seems that many are suggesting that RIM is on its last legs and needs something to bail it out. I don't think that Blackberry 6 is some kind of last ditch effort by RIM to save the company from doom. I think it's nothing more than the next step in the (slow) evolution of their brand.

As to the success of Blackberry 6, I guess it depends on how success is defined. Whether or not us crackberry heads think they hit it out of the park or not with Blackberry 6 is one thing, but we are @nal tech heads who notice and complain about the most minuscule details, lol, and we are in the minority. The average user, the majority, who is already a Blackberry user as well as the new converts will use it and love it for the most part.

If success is defined as the number of satisfied Blackberry users who remain recidivous, then yes, I think that Blackberry 6 will be a success; especially if their implementation of Webkit is anything close to what we are hoping for.

Personally, I don't see RIM standing or falling on Blackberry 6 alone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-10 03:56 PM
    I am perfectly content with 5.0, so when 6.0 comes out I will be that much happier as hopefully it will have the webkit...besides that, I am content and on my 3rd Berry and a consumer to boot...WOW, amazing isn't it, lol!

Some people are just impossible to make happy....

05-13-10 04:04 PM
    In reading through crackberry these last months, it seems that many are suggesting that RIM is on its last legs and needs something to bail it out. I don't think that Blackberry 6 is some kind of last ditch effort by RIM to save the company from doom. I think it's nothing more than the next step in the (slow) evolution of their brand.

Agreed. RIM business practice has never been an innovator. Their primary focus is early majority and late majority and Mike Lazaridis clearly stated this at WES. These two markets represent 70% of the population. Innovation means expensive new technology in which not many people can afford. HTC with their 10 mp camera and high definition screen is just 3% of what the population can afford.

The company have been growing steadily and continues to grow. OS 6 wouldn't effect this growth significantly. Just like I mention OS 6 is more like a facelift. They are just making the OS look flashy while keeping the current Blackberry users happy. They don't want to get too innovative with OS 6 because 40 million satisfied customer might not like the change and ditch the entire platform altogether.
    05-13-10 04:58 PM
    That is one of the worst avatars I've ever seen.
    I agree, your avatar was not in the good taste. We are a family and workplace friendly forum, no sexual content can be tolorated.
    05-13-10 05:55 PM
    LOL!!!! Oh, ok, just so long as it's nothing important or DRAMATIC or anything

Given that this must be the 1,000,000th thread on the subject (are there any more ways left to discuss the very same subject?) you are absolutely correct in one respect but, if it's true that RIM really is trying to ramp up their consumer following, then yeah, it's a bit important to have an OS that is attractive to the masses. That being said, I'm not particularly thrilled with Android's OR iPhone's OS (and I've never tried WebOS or the latest Windows iteration), so out of all of them, while each has their own set of perks, I'm happy with RIM. I really DO though, want to see a better web experience. Of all of this, that could hurt them the most with certain demographics.

The entire world and all human existence.

If you're not happy with RIM, you should get a different phone. I don't think anyone here would mind too much. Whether 6 is a huge success or a not, none of RIM's corporate business will change anything. Some younger users might leave, but that's not (never has been, never will be) a significant concern to RIM.

Everyone should do whatever they need to in order to stay happy. Whatever phone you have is pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
    05-13-10 05:59 PM
    I apologize for the avatar. I didn't realize the severity of it. l'll change it to something more appropriate.
    05-13-10 07:01 PM
    Personally, OS 5 on the 9700 is great. I am looking forward to OS 6 though, the sneak peek we got looks awesome. I think that if it's an improvement over the OS 5, it will be great. I dont personally believe if it"s not earth-shattering that it will be the demise of RIM. It's STILL the best business device bar none.
    05-13-10 07:17 PM
    Look at the graph posted on the front page. The vast majority of users don't even have OS5 installed. This would most likely mean an even smaller percentage of users will install OS6 on their phones.
    In conclusion, I think only us crackberrians are hopeful of OS6. Most regular users probably don't know, or don't care.

05-13-10 07:53 PM
    ^ Good point and let alone the majority doesn't even know how to install these OS.
    05-13-10 10:02 PM
    Exactly. I left this same comment when I read the blog. I work with a lot of public and whenever I've chatted with someone that has a Storm or some other BB, I'll ask them "so, what OS version do you have loaded?" 95% of them look at me like I asked them if they had a Mexican build or a Martian build (actually, that would probably be another good survey question "Do you know where your device was assembled?" OS upgrades require lots of press and build up, not just in tech forums but the mainstream press, too. You always read about a new Microsoft or Apple OS, not always a big feature, but it's mentioned on netword news, cable news for sure (and that may include interviews and tech reports), magazines, and newspapers (including financial news). A new RIM OS? Ha...who covers that but the Berry websites?
    05-14-10 12:50 AM
    Look at the graph posted on the front page. The vast majority of users don't even have OS5 installed. This would most likely mean an even smaller percentage of users will install OS6 on their phones.
    In conclusion, I think only us crackberrians are hopeful of OS6. Most regular users probably don't know, or don't care.

Thats most likely due to the fact they have an older phone...
    05-14-10 08:25 AM
    You know just a thought i personally would like to see a blackberry running android! I think the two together would be awesome. Especially if rim wants to appeal to a younger crowd with all the integrated social networking. But no i do not think os 6 is rims big "oh this is gonna revolutionize the market" plan.
    05-14-10 08:28 AM
    Now ya got me curious as to what the avatar was. Getting back on topic....

I think as was said RIM just does what they does and they are slowly starting to really get into the idea of being a powerhouse in the consumer world. When I say slowly, I mean slowly. But I think if OS 6 brings some improvements to the table then great! One thing that they do very well as is always said is messaging and making sure your ability to keep in touch isn't far behind. The average consumer loves the fact that you can get e-mail on your phone and that you can work it and do other things. Plus what other phone can send maybe three or four hundred texts and still have battery life at the end of the day?

I think the webkit browser will be a breath of fresh air too, but the one other thing I would love to see are more useful apps. I think that will come in due time.
    05-14-10 11:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD