Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just recently purchased a Curve 8330 through Sprint. Just about all my questions have been answered through this forum however, I do have one that I am still curious about...

In regards to the memory 'leak', how much do you lose and over how long? I just noticed my biggest loss after about 3 days. After a hard reset I usually have around 38,000,000 and today I was at 29,000,000... That seemed like a pretty substantial drop (I am aware 12,000,000 is usually the cut point). The only apps running are Pocket Express and Face Book aside from whats on the unit. Other than that I'm on the browser. My texting /e-mailing are really not the culprits as my memory goes right back up after the reset. So:

1) Is this normal?
    2) How much do you all usually lose and over how long?
    10-15-08 06:44 AM
    Do a battery pull with BB on this usually brings back some mem. In the browser goto options-cache operations and clear history and cache content which also gives mem back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-08 07:00 AM
    Facebook is a mem hog too so keep an eye on it.
    10-15-08 08:03 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Your experience is very close to mine. I have 24 Mb after a fresh start. The memory used reduces that to 15 Mb where it remains stable for an extended period of time. I consider the roughly 10 Mb memory used normal.

One of the things that is evident, the Content Cache, used by the Browser, is set at 2 Mb. It will grow to that size and remain stable because new content replaces out of date content. The purpose of a cache is to improve the performance of Browser because identical items do not have to be downloaded multiple times.

Flushing the Content Cache does temporary increase free memory, but it also reduces performance until the cache is rebuilt. I prefer to leave the cache alone and trust the software designers have done their job properly.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 10-15-08 at 11:28 AM.
    10-15-08 11:25 AM
    Very informative Reed, thanks.
    10-15-08 11:41 AM
    You can also clear the Event Log to free up a bit of memory. (ALT+LGLG > Menu > Clear Log)
    And this Lecture is highly recommended: How to Free Up Memory on your BlackBerry Smartphone | CrackBerry.com
    10-15-08 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD