Since BBMo seems to be stalled out, do you think the future of BlackBerry is basically BYOD and run BB software? I'm thinking a Unihertz Titan running BlackBerry Launcher actually seems more like a "real" BlackBerry than say a Motion or an Evolve. DOes BlackBerry as a brand transcend devices now that there actually isn't really a true BlackBerry handset anymore?
    08-10-19 04:12 PM
    Since BBMo seems to be stalled out, do you think the future of BlackBerry is basically BYOD and run BB software? I'm thinking a Unihertz Titan running BlackBerry Launcher actually seems more like a "real" BlackBerry than say a Motion or an Evolve. DOes BlackBerry as a brand transcend devices now that there actually isn't really a true BlackBerry handset anymore?
    What's "true" ?

BBOS? BB10? Devices built by Foxconn, Wistron, TCL? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To me, a "licenced" BlackBerry device is one that has full use of tens to hundreds of millions of dollars of keyboard IP, technology, and patents. There has never been a keyboard anywhere NEAR the quality IMO. And from the early reviews of the Titan, there probably won't be for a long time, if ever.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    08-10-19 04:22 PM
    And from the early reviews of the Titan, there probably won't be for a long time, if ever.
    Just like Key3 and BlackBerry Mobile!
    the_boon likes this.
    08-10-19 04:29 PM
    Just like Key3 and BlackBerry Mobile!
    I'm referring to a quality keyboard that can rival a BlackBerry keyboard.

The question was essentially whether there was value in some present or future company to "licence" IP from BlackBerry.
    08-10-19 04:32 PM
    I'm referring to a quality keyboard that can rival a BlackBerry keyboard.
    Well, if there won't be a Key3, Titan could be the only choice for us.
    I love my LE, but should get a new phone by 2020. I hope any leak of Key3 will show up in the near time.
    08-10-19 04:35 PM
    Well, if there won't be a Key3, Titan could be the only choice for us.
    I love my LE, but should get a new phone by 2020. I hope any leak of Key3 will show up in the near time.
    You're not reading my posts. Again:

"The question was essentially whether there was value in some present or future company to "licence" IP from BlackBerry."

We aren't necessarily talking about TCL at all. Frankly, we probably aren't.
    Last edited by conite; 08-10-19 at 04:55 PM.
    08-10-19 04:36 PM
    The Titan will be my first ever non-BB qwerty device so I'm really looking forward to experience another OEM's take on a pkb.

I'm not expecting anything close to a true BlackBerry experience but need something to cure my boredom while I wait for the KEY3.
    the_boon and moosbb like this.
    08-10-19 04:38 PM
    I'm also trying to answer your repeated attempts to degrade Unihertz and Titan whenever their names are mentioned.
    hjc73734 likes this.
    08-10-19 04:43 PM
    Love the build quality of my official KeyOne and also a major reason for me wanting an official device is the hardened unrootable version of the Android OS...
    08-10-19 04:46 PM
    I'm also trying to answer your repeated attempts to degrade Unihertz and Titan whenever their names are mentioned.
    Fill your boots then if you think it will help address the OP's question.
    08-10-19 04:56 PM
    I think my original post just goes to the fact that the reason I am solid BlackBerry is because of what actual BlackBerry Ltd offers - dtek, launcher, hub, etc. - and in the absence of a blackberry Ltd phone, do I care which Chinese company is making my handset as long as I have a physical keyboard and the ability to run BlackBerry software? In short, how different is a Unihertz Titan really going to be from a TCL device running BlackBerry software, other than the decals?
    08-10-19 05:36 PM
    In short, how different is a Unihertz Titan really going to be from a TCL device running BlackBerry software, other than the decals?
    The quality of the keyboard hardware and software.

Also, a Google-certified device by a reputable company has additional security and reliability standards.
    08-10-19 06:13 PM
    The quality of the keyboard hardware and software.

Also, a Google-certified device by a reputable company has additional security and reliability standards.
    jumping to conclusions already. the device isn't even finalized. those sent out were prototypes.
    John Albert, RK_BB and moosbb like this.
    08-10-19 09:08 PM
    I’m sure as hell not buying some crowdfunding hardware thinking self loading some BBApps is the same thing as BBAndroid in my current hardware. Just like when BBOS and BB10 couldn’t get it done anymore, that’s what reputable Android/iOS OEMs are for especially sold through carriers. I’m laughing at how everyone claimed security is so important blah, yada etc, badmouths any other Android hardware then feels Titan is safe because it’s cheap enough.

It seems that was probably the actual reason so many supported BBOS and BB10 hardware. It was cheap when compared to Android/iOS flagships.
    pdr733 and PantherBlitz like this.
    08-10-19 09:19 PM
    I’m sure as hell not buying some crowdfunding hardware thinking self loading some BBApps is the same thing as BBAndroid in my current hardware. Just like when BBOS and BB10 couldn’t get it done anymore, that’s what reputable Android/iOS OEMs are for especially sold through carriers. I’m laughing at how everyone claimed security is so important blah, yada etc, badmouths any other Android hardware then feels Titan is safe because it’s cheap enough.

It seems that was probably the actual reason so many supported BBOS and BB10 hardware. It was cheap when compared to Android/iOS flagships.
    Anyone thinking this is as secure as a BB Android device doesnt honestly understand security at its basic point. The devices release so far from the company have adware/spyware baked in from the factory and send data to china daily im sure. But yeah some people think this is a miracle device that is so cheap and great and why cant BB do this if some no name company can dont get everything involved with a legit device
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-10-19 09:28 PM
    jumping to conclusions already. the device isn't even finalized. those sent out were prototypes.
    If you think they can match 15 years and 10s of millions of dollars of BlackBerry R&D, you will be disappointed.

The Atom is also compromised at the system-level by some serious malware. One can only hope they take a serious inward look before they release the Titan.

But that's not to say it can't be a fun device to play around with.
    08-10-19 09:55 PM
    If you think they can match 15 years and 10s of millions of dollars of BlackBerry R&D, you will be disappointed.

The Atom is also compromised at the system-level by some serious malware. One can only hope they take a serious inward look before they release the Titan.

But that's not to say it can't be a fun device to play around with.
    Can't someone just disable any pre installed apps on the Titan and call it a day?
    08-10-19 10:35 PM
    Can't someone just disable any pre installed apps on the Titan and call it a day?
    The clever thing about adups is that it is part of the actual software update mechanism for the device.
    08-10-19 11:19 PM
    Reading these posts yoy would thing the K2 keyboard is anything to wrote home about...for one, it doesn't come close to any BlackBerry proper keyboards of the past, Classic included and two, its capacitive keypad is completely flawed beyond repair.

So much for 20-30 odd years of R&D which perhaps isn't needed as someone else can possibly do it better?
    John Albert likes this.
    08-10-19 11:24 PM
    Reading these posts yoy would thing the K2 keyboard is anything to wrote home about...for one, it doesn't come close to any BlackBerry proper keyboards of the past, Classic included and two, its capacitive keypad is completely flawed beyond repair.

So much for 20-30 odd years of R&D which perhaps isn't needed as someone else can possibly do it better?
    I know you've had issues with the capacitive touch, but it certainly doesn't affect how I use my device at all. Swipe back, cursor mode, and the occasional swipe up works perfectly for me.

Even with capacitive turned off, it would still be the best keyboard I've ever used - and I've had almost every device going back to the 7100i.
    08-10-19 11:26 PM

The KEY2's built after March 2019 improved all this, so I guess they needed that 31st year of research
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    08-10-19 11:26 PM
    I know you've had issues with the capacitive touch, but it certainly doesn't affect how I use my device at all. Swipe back, cursor mode, and the occasional swipe up works perfectly for me.
    Consider yourself lucky! You are the only one I know that doesn't have capacitive keypad issues.

I can still reproduce the issues myself and many others around here experience on any device, guaranteed and my offer to pay just in order to prove it to anyone that wants still stand.

The capacitive keypad of the K2 is defective beyond repair. Full stop.
    08-10-19 11:31 PM
    The KEY2's built after March 2019 improved all this
    I will believe it when I see it...
    08-10-19 11:33 PM
    The capacitive keypad of the K2 is defective beyond repair. Full stop.
    For your particular use case perhaps. But what you complain about doesn't factor into my use case.
    08-10-19 11:34 PM
    For your particular use case perhaps. But what you complain about doesn't factor into my use case.
    It would be nice to see a pie chart (not Pie upgrade, we already forgot about that...) that shows how people use this keypad. Are there more people on your camp or mine? I bet more people are on your camp and so you win!

One of the most frustrating experiences I have had with a smartphone...
    the_boon likes this.
    08-10-19 11:39 PM
52 123