Hey guys,

So I have a 500MB limit on my data usage and I know streaming audio and video take up a lot of data so I was wondering how much data goes google maps take. Lets say if I want to use the gps from location A to location B and they are 100km apart. Will it eat up all my data?

Also, is there a better gps program that takes up less data than google maps? What about the Garmin one for blackberry?
    09-28-10 06:56 PM
    I am not sure but don't believe that Googlemaps provides any particular feedback on how much data it is using. So unless someone turned off all email/etc for a day and tried only using googlemaps and then checked their data use, I'm not sure it can be tracked at that level.

Since the garmin is always trying to route you, it MIGHT be using more data but, again, no telling if it is a lot or compressed neatly.

Can your carrier help with detailed data usage through a day or hour?
    09-29-10 11:11 AM
    Well I wasnt looking for specific numbers but just a general idea of how much data it takes. And no my carrier wont be able to help me out. I guess I will just have to hope and see if it takes up a lot or not after I try it out.
    09-29-10 10:24 PM
    I also have this same question because I was roaming recently and realized that I had Googke Maps running in the background for almost 2 hours. Does anyone know if it still pulls data while running in the background while the phone is locked? Am I looking at kilobytes or megabytes here? I'm afraid of what my bill will look like at $1/MB.

You can see how much data is sent and received in Google Maps under "About". I guess I'll run a test at lunchtime to see how much data it uses during a walk, but if anybody has a general idea, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for your help and thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-10 11:49 AM
    While running Google Maps, go to help, then about, it will give you the amount of data that has been used by the session.
    12-14-10 01:26 PM
    It only downloads the maps relevant to your trip. I can't imagine it using more data than a few minutes of web surfing. (per entire trip)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-10 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD