I realise this is a quite difficult question to just answer like that.

But my carrier has two different add-ons, to the BIS or BES services.
    Its for using the BB when you are in another country, they have 3mb aswell as 10mb international dataplans. thats either 3mb or 10mb/month outside my country.

And my question now is, how much data does a BB consume, for a little BBM chat, some mailing (mostly text) and so on. Because i would prefer not getting back home and get a 400 dollar bill for the data usage.

I also wonder if its possible to set some option on how much data each mail u get automatically downloads, so if someone mails me a picture thats 1mb, i get the plaintext only and then I have to actively choose to download the rest, or not.
    10-06-10 06:19 PM
    On average I use over 60 plus MB a month. Now if you plan on text only and not much web surfing, etc...Not exactly sure but a bunch of people say use wifi when you can.
    10-06-10 06:32 PM
    Yeah, thats the thing. I dont use the browser anything at all. I use BBM, and i gets/send mails.

Sure i do use the wifi at home,
    But like when im offshore i wanna use the BB mainly for calling and mailing and BBM.

And the main issue is more that the BB dont use any huge amount of data "in the background" like these Iphone/Android stories ive heard of people being on vacation and get these "nice" phonebills when they gotten home.
    10-06-10 06:39 PM
    Personally I would go with the higher mb package just in case. LOL
    I am a data hog and my berry is constantly doing something on the web, texting, emailing, chatting, blah blah blah. So it sounds like the 10 mb would do you. I would freak if my company only offered 10 mb...I would go into a panic.
    10-06-10 06:45 PM
    Personally I would go with the higher mb package just in case. LOL
    I am a data hog and my berry is constantly doing something on the web, texting, emailing, chatting, blah blah blah. So it sounds like the 10 mb would do you. I would freak if my company only offered 10 mb...I would go into a panic.
    Haha yes, but these 10mb is for out-of-the-country use, i have unlimited data usage in Sweden. But i work in france, and im trying to skip using a french mobilecarrier. Thats why i wonder if i could last with these 10mb for lets say 4 days of usage.
    10-06-10 06:50 PM

I have faith in you! I am a internet hog...and sadly yes, I would go slowly nuts without some form of world wide crack, I mean web. LOL

Hence my jump to the Blackberry from and I am VERY ashamed to say, a Palm. So with only email, BBM, and some texting...you should do just fine. I might make it one day.
    10-06-10 06:59 PM
    PALM, u serious ?

And i used to respect you

Alright then, im gonna take your word for it, if i get this huge bill, im gonna send it to you, remember that =)
    10-06-10 07:20 PM

*sighs* sadly before I knew what was up in the smart phone arena...I used my Palm...do you bill in Euros or dollars?

I left Germany before the switch to the Euro...I still have some old Deutsche Marks lying around...does that count?? lol
    10-06-10 07:37 PM
    I can offer a different viewpoint, I use roughly 1 Mb per month.

That provides about 100 Email per day and BlackBerry Messenger contacts, a bit of Browsing when something interesting comes up and data for third party application like Bloomberg Mobile and Weather.

The OP question was his choices between BIS and BES hosting in his home country with concern about data use when in other countries with high roaming rates for data.

either 3mb or 10mb/month outside my country.
    I would think the BIS 3 Mb plan would suit you best. That is a huge amount of data if you were to print it to paper. 1 Mb at 2000 characters per page, takes over 500 pages. Three times that should cover you nicely.

When you recieve an image attached to an Email, you can view the thumbnail which is highly compressed, or download the full sized image... simple choice when the meter is running.
    10-06-10 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD