Right now I just have a GoPhone but I have a BB 8310. From time to time I get online with it but not too often as it eats up a lot of money! I noticed I can get 1mb of data for 4.99 extra a month but I have no idea how much that will get me. Can anyone help explain how much data time that will buy me?

Thanks!!

*I know it would be wiser to get a contract with the BB to use it to it's fullest but right now I cannot swing the deposit required to start up a contract.
    10-14-09 01:03 PM
    1mb really isn't much data to be honest with you, especially if you decide to start streaming radio, stuff like that. I think the most I've noticed that I've used in a month is 17mb of data...
    10-14-09 01:06 PM
    It all depends on what you do online. If you don't use your phone for listening to web radio or have any applications that stay connected to the web, you should be alright.

For reference, I used mine for internet and radio and averaged about 3.5GB a month. I have an iPhone 3GS now and use about 6GB.
    10-14-09 01:09 PM
    1MB is for downloading ring tones and such. It's not for actual streaming. 1MB gets eaten up fast. It's not even one third of the average mp3 (song).
    10-14-09 01:11 PM
    Whoa, so I could listen to the radio on my BB 8310? Maybe?

Right now all I would be doing is twitter, facebook and yahoo mail (or maybe gmail)
    10-14-09 01:12 PM
    You can't get a lot for 1 MB. I streamed radio for an hour yesterday. Here's how much I used.

01:01 PM wap.cingular Internet/MEdia Net Sent 24000KB or 23.4375 MB.

I stream radio a lot and have used 1.78 GB data with 1 day left in my billing cycle.
    10-14-09 01:12 PM
    you'll go over 1 mb in a month even just using that

i think some people are confusing the 1 mb to 1 gb and you said 1 mb
    10-14-09 01:14 PM
    Yes, the mediaNet via GoPhone is a ripoff. It's $4.99 for 1MB (not GB folks!) and $19.99 for 5MB (again, NOT GB!).

Even the 5MB would be eaten up in a hurry. That's barely ONE middle-compression MP3.
    10-14-09 01:16 PM
    you'll go over 1 mb in a month even just using that

i think some people are confusing the 1 mb to 1 gb and you said 1 mb
    OP, you'll def go over the 1MB ceiling if you're using FB alone. That stays connected to the web unless you completely close it out. Twitter is the same...
    10-14-09 01:17 PM
    With 1MB, you'd basically load a handful of web pages and be done. That's it. And it would only be a handful if they were pages designed for mobile.
    10-14-09 01:18 PM
    Yes, the mediaNet via GoPhone is a ripoff. It's $4.99 for 1MB (not GB folks!) and $19.99 for 5MB (again, NOT GB!).

Even the 5MB would be eaten up in a hurry. That's barely ONE middle-compression MP3.
    Yeah. I used over 23 MB in one hour of streaming radio. I don't care, because I have a data plan.
    10-14-09 01:18 PM

I don't think anyone is/was confusing MB with GB. I think me and that other dude were just giving the OP some comparisons. As in, 1MB isn't much if you do this _____. (Alright?!)
    10-14-09 01:19 PM
    Defensive much?
    10-14-09 01:21 PM
    Yes we've all established 1 MB is virtually nothing, I would recommend you skip that "deal"
    10-14-09 01:22 PM
    You can get exactly one MB of data!
    Thanks to everyone who answered. I didn't think it would be much but thought I would ask!

Another question, someone mentioned that FB and twitter stay connected unless you completely close out of the net...I use the MediaNet for FB and mail and when I hit the red end/power button it goes off. How it continue to keep going? Do some people just leave the net window open all day?
    I would suggest that you properly "close" the application by hitting the BB button while still in FB or Twitter and selecting "close" from the menu.
    10-14-09 01:28 PM
    Hitting the red end button while in an app doesn't usually close it, it just brings you to the home screen while the app still runs in the background. Hitting the escape button until you are back to the home screen will normally close out most apps, or you can do as stated above, selecting Close or Exit (depending on the app) from the menu to make sure it's closed out.
    10-14-09 02:43 PM
    1MB of data is nothing! Get unlimited lol
    10-14-09 02:47 PM
    1MB of data is nothing! Get unlimited lol
    Lol, I'm working on that!
    10-14-09 04:35 PM
    Lol, I'm working on that!
    Like stated above, just hitting the red "end call" button just "hides" that particular application, picture it like hitting the "minimize" button in windows, the program stays running, you just can't see it. You need to hit the menu "BB" button and select close to properly close out the apps.

To answer a question you posed in an earlier comment, yes, you can listen to radio on your BlackBerry, and there are a couple different applications that allow you to do so. iheartradio, Slacker Radio, and Pandora are the 3 big ones, and you can download these thru the App World, however, you will want to add a full BlackBerry data plan before doing this. As you've probably read in some other posts, the streaming radio apps draw a lot of data. Most "unlimited" BIS data plans offer you 5gb of data access a month... that's a ton of data, an amount that you probably won't use.
    10-14-09 06:55 PM
    R u sure you dont mean 1 gb i dont think any company would sell 1mb for 5 dollars i dont think any company would do that big of a rip off not close i almost garuntee u meen 1 gb
    10-14-09 08:11 PM
    Nope, it's certainly 1mb, ATT offers the same thing with their pay as you go service for data as well. I couldn't believe it when I looked it up for my buddy, but it's true, 1mb for $5, hard to believe but it is true.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 08:45 PM
    Another reason I'm greatful to be grandfatherd into att's 20.00 a month unlimited data plan. You can't cap unlimited~

10-14-09 10:25 PM
    I have unlimited and I stream a lot of youtube, live on CB and surf the web, I burn up a battery in a few hours with my 8230 I will check my bill when I get it but I should be real close to that 5GB line mentioned earlier. My plan just states unlimited it says no cap
    , so what happens if they do have an unmentioned cap and I pass it? Is it possible to pass 5 GB in a month?

10-14-09 10:27 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD