With news that Apple stocks have taken a beating just wondering if it's all to do with Chinese market, or has the rest of the world woken up to being hosed by Apple. Perhaps cell phones have reached saturation point in the market place, and people are hanging onto their phones longer.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    01-04-19 04:28 PM
    With news that Apple stocks have taken a beating just wondering if it's all to do with Chinese market, or has the rest of the world woken up to being hosed by Apple. Perhaps cell phones have reached saturation point in the market place, and people are hanging onto their phones longer.
    All open to speculation with no real anwers. I'm personally inclined to believe the saturation point. It's hard to buy 'terrible' phone these days unless you're scraping the bottom of the barrel and buying something for $50 at your local grocery store.
    01-04-19 04:37 PM
    Lack of innovation abut constant increase in price. Public is getting lazy and going against basically same "product" at a constant steeper price.
    melhiore and Elky64 like this.
    01-04-19 07:14 PM
    My good friend works at Att and one at Verizon, they said many are trading their iPhone, mainly the 6S in for either a Samsung or a Pixel. But I bet anything OnePlus will be the Top Dog by the end of the Year.
    01-04-19 08:27 PM
    I think it's just saturation. I know people who still wouldn't think twice about swapping out one iPhone for another come upgrade time. But, more people are just hanging on a bit longer.

And, really, a drop from 89 billion to only 84 billion?

Talk to me when their profits drop into the millions, then maybe there should be some worry.
    john_v likes this.
    01-05-19 12:14 AM
    I think it's just saturation. I know people who still wouldn't think twice about swapping out one iPhone for another come upgrade time. But, more people are just hanging on a bit longer.

And, really, a drop from 89 billion to only 84 billion?

Talk to me when their profits drop into the millions, then maybe there should be some worry.
    If the stock hits 100 they are in trouble.
    01-05-19 01:58 AM
    If the stock hits 100 they are in trouble.
    For the stockholders, maybe (I'm not one, so I don't care). If the trend is down over the course of a year, then maybe... But I ignore day to day, even month to month stock numbers. People freak out to quickly over a leaf fluttering past a window.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-05-19 11:41 AM
    Their update policy is more conducive to keeping the phone longer, iPhone users aren't thrown to the wolves 12-24 months after purchase like most other OEMs.
    01-05-19 11:58 AM
    All open to speculation with no real anwers. I'm personally inclined to believe the saturation point. It's hard to buy 'terrible' phone these days unless you're scraping the bottom of the barrel and buying something for $50 at your local grocery store.
    I would agree it is market saturation. It's when the battery dies that folks upgrade, and not because of new features or "better" cameras. I think that the push for more and better has reached it's market limits.

I tend to think there will be a new market along the lines of "less is more, distraction free and encouragement of being less attached" to our devices.
    01-05-19 01:12 PM
    China and India were large opportunities for Apple to continue their growth. They have failed in both so far. It's difficult to see what Apple can do in a mature saturated market. Is this the beginning of the end?
    01-05-19 07:33 PM
    China and India were large opportunities for Apple to continue their growth. They have failed in both so far. It's difficult to see what Apple can do in a mature saturated market. Is this the beginning of the end?
    Is this the beginning of the end?

Possibly the beginning of the end for their previous/current iPhone business model in India & China.
    01-06-19 10:53 AM
    It's saturation, but only because they've priced themselves out of a major portion of the market, especially with the carriers changing their financing options over the last few years. It's even worse if your exchange rate is not favourable with the U.S. Here in Canada, I know a lot of solidly middle-class people who would prefer an Apple, but look at the prices and opt for a Samsung. Apple has saturated the corner of the market they've painted themselves into...
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-06-19 10:54 AM
    Lack of innovation abut constant increase in price. Public is getting lazy and going against basically same "product" at a constant steeper price.
    Have to agree on this... The average user is finding out the bump in specs these days isn't going to make much of a difference in their day-to-day use as it once did like say, 2-3 years ago. And in my opinion other manufacture as well are feeling the wrath for same reasons.
    Rico4you likes this.
    01-06-19 01:33 PM
    Their update policy is more conducive to keeping the phone longer, iPhone users aren't thrown to the wolves 12-24 months after purchase like most other OEMs.
    Well, they are "thrown to the wolves" if a customer walks in with an iPhone that has a cracked rear glass.

About $500 to repair, which they probably won't even repair but just issue them a new one.

Repairability of new iPhones : Worst in the industry
    Elky64 and Rico4you like this.
    01-06-19 02:47 PM
    Well, they are "thrown to the wolves" if a customer walks in with an iPhone that has a cracked rear glass.

About $500 to repair, which they probably won't even repair but just issue them a new one.

Repairability of new iPhones : Worst in the industry
    But that is negated with a phone case which most people buy anyway. The software updates though really does extend the life of devices and it really should be longer the 2 years.

Mobile devices are more expensive than many decent computers and they have a much shorter life span through software obsolescence rather than hardware obsolescence.
    01-07-19 02:19 AM
    Software updates from Apple extend device or throttle down... to be being deemed basically inefficient / useless so you upgrade and purchase another. Bad apple
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    01-07-19 03:14 AM
    People are also using older iPhones rather than pay $1000 for the latest model.
    01-07-19 04:12 PM
    also, many people are now forced to buy phones outright, since they don't want to give up their grandfathered cell plans, cause some of the new plans are ridiculous (Canada)
    01-07-19 08:03 PM
    not so fast - with Sony's 3D camera sensor soon on the market for next gen phone, VR/AR will catch up soon.... lego pieces slowly put into place for next gen with 5G, game change will come (hopefully, soon). Hopefully, BB take advantage of slow down of Apple and Sammy, utilize chance to catch up on the supply chain (they are more than willing to work with anyone to patch up lost volume), but be careful, they can turn on a dime when big player shadow show up at the door at bottom half of the year... IMHO.
    01-07-19 09:36 PM
    the worst part of the unfortunate IPhone Era of my life was we actually did have a lot of problems with the phones. Each time, I had one of three choices:
    1) mail phone away and have no phone for three weeks.
    2) pay $700 deposit for temporary phone and mail my phone off for three weeks.
    3) drive to nearest apple store - Columbus Ohio - six hours driving round trip.

I had to drive to Columbus probably four times - for a stinking phone.

all this and watching apple slow down my phone purposefully - which I had suspected and later they admitted this - made the apple taste really bitter and drove me to blackberry.
    01-19-19 10:57 AM
    It's important to realize that Apple's only "failure" is the failure to continue its growth trajectory. The company is doing fabulously, but not quite as fabulously as shareholders had hoped for.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    elfabio80 and Tsepz_GP like this.
    01-19-19 11:02 AM
    Saturation and people keeping their iPhones longer indeed.

By the way it's not just the Chinese market, it's India to, iPhone sales plunged by 50% in India. China and India are both places where OnePlus, Huawei, and Xiaomi have seen good growth coincidentally:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Appl...-2018_id112731
    01-19-19 01:21 PM
    The answer is simple in the most complex terms, most economies are faltering globally, or in the case of the US and some others, they are extremely volatile. People do not invest in "Wants" and tend to "Bank" on "Needs" in uncertain times. This coupled with ever escalating cell phone prices in the "Must Have Premium Market" is a sure fire recipe for bottom line erosion. First and foremost affected will be the Icons in any industry. I believe we are at the the cusp of a ratcheting back of build quality and a stream lining of product offers. Also there is the personal safety factor. A $1,500 phone, like an $8,000 Rolex on your wrist may attract unwanted and dangerous attention. I have seen teenagers with the latest iPhone and Samsung flagships, might as well have a target on their backs. Consumers in hard times are also much more likely to boycott Iconic companies first as that has the greatest reach in messaging.
    Last edited by Crusader03; 01-19-19 at 03:31 PM.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    01-19-19 01:40 PM
    Saturation. And people are keeping them longer. Plus more repairs are being done now. Plus the price of the new ones.
    01-19-19 01:58 PM
    The answer is simple in the most complex terms, most economies are faltering globally, or in the case of the US and some others, they are extremely volatile. People do not invest in "Wants" and tend to "Bank" on "Needs" in uncertain times. This coupled with ever escalating cell phone prices in the "Must Have Premium Market" is a sure fire recipe for bottom line erosion. First and foremost affected will be the Icons in any industry. I believe we are at the the cusp of a ratcheting back of build quality and a stream lining of product offers. Also there is the personal safety factor. A $1,500 phone, like an $8,000 Rolex on your wrist may attract unwanted and dangerous attention. I have seen teenagers with the latest iPhone and Samsung flagships, might as well have a target on their backs. Consumers in hard times are also much more likely to boycott Iconic companies first as that has the greatest reach in messaging.
    Pffft, what do you know, you have an Alfa badge in your profile, uncertainty is a lifestyle for you
    01-19-19 04:15 PM
32 12