Browsing through the options now. I see there is encryption for enhancing security. Is it neccesary and do you turn this on? Is there drawback?
    04-28-10 12:15 PM
    The only drawback I know of is that it changes you pictures 2. Say IMG0001.jpg.rem (the number after IMG changes up one for every picture that you take) and they are in readable by a computer is you copy them off of the phone memory or SD card and are in readable by the Berry it's self if you turn off Encryption. I don't use Encryption myself, I don't really think that you need 2 use Encryption on a personal device connected to BIS, it might be compulsory by a company if they provide the Berry, and if it's a personal Berry connected to there BES server.

Roland

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-28-10 12:43 PM
    I don't like the Encryption because if the phone goes poof I don't lose my data.
    04-28-10 12:44 PM
    Folks have run into real problems if they use encryption and their current phone dies. The info on the SD card canNOT be read by a new phone, so any pictures, etc will be forever encrypted by the old phone's coding and a new phone will not be able to read it.
    04-29-10 04:10 PM
    I do not use encryption for all the reasons above. No real need anyway in my life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 07:45 PM
    I've never set that on any of the BBs I have owned.
    04-29-10 08:18 PM
    I've never set that on any of the BBs I have owned.
    me either....i would definitely give it a shot thou
    04-29-10 09:56 PM
    does it slow down your device also? cause the device processor is always working to encrypt on the fly
    04-29-10 10:17 PM
    I managed a project for a client related to the MA privacy regulations. The project was to turn on content protection for all BB devices.

There was some overhead/lag when doing the initial encryption. But if it was a more recent device with a decent amount of memory, it was not really noticable. If you had low mem and were a mail hoarder, it could bring the device to a halt. Setting mail to 15 days usually did the trick.

One point of advice....if you choose to turn on the content protection, make sure you choose "do not encrypt address book". If you don't do that, your caller ID won't function properly.

Personally, I feel that content protection really only helps if a device is lost in the wild. But there certainly "insider" threats. And if your organization is one where awareness to information security is weak, and people leave their BBs on their desk without a lock/PW, then the encryption gets you nothing.

Buuuut, something often is better than nothing.......
    04-30-10 07:06 AM
    If you don't use device password but rather your own password, why would you lose your data if your phone dies?
    04-30-10 08:46 AM
    I actually just turned it on a couple of days ago for everything but my contacts, partially because I leave my phone lying around at work on a fairly regular basis, but mostly just to play around with it. It doesn't seem to slow anything down noticeably. Honestly, I would never even know it was turned on, everything still works exactly the same as it did with it off so I figure why not use it?

I was under the belief that if you encrypted your media card and your phone crashed and burned, you could put it in a new phone and decrypt it so long as you knew the password and that phone was also a blackberry. That's what the BB help file says anyway. Is that incorrect?
    04-30-10 09:13 AM
    There are a few choices. You can protect it with device password, device password and you own password, or your own password. I'm saying this from memory (no pun intended) it may not be 100% correct.

I think the people who lose their memory card contents must have chosen options A or B above. If you don't use a device password, it should just be a matter of plugging your card in a different device and entering your password. If you use a device password and you lose your device..bye bye data. But that is the point for some people, if the card is stolen, the contents are safe. Of course with some handsets you're likely to break the card in half getting it out, so problem solved.
    04-30-10 09:26 AM
    There are a few choices. You can protect it with device password, device password and you own password, or your own password. I'm saying this from memory (no pun intended) it may not be 100% correct.

I think the people who lose their memory card contents must have chosen options A or B above. If you don't use a device password, it should just be a matter of plugging your card in a different device and entering your password. If you use a device password and you lose your device..bye bye data. But that is the point for some people, if the card is stolen, the contents are safe. Of course with some handsets you're likely to break the card in half getting it out, so problem solved.
    That makes sense. I don't use the device key and forgot all about that option. Thanks for the info!
    04-30-10 09:33 AM
    I don't use it. My pictures and music are not top-secret.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-30-10 12:07 PM
    My encryption is enable and set to the strongest setting however it doesn't include media files. That setting on memory card and device memory is set to "no". Contacts are encrypted. So if I get a new bb all the files will open and I can view them correct??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-10 10:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD