View Poll Results: HOW MANY OF YOU GUY'S & GAL'S STILL USE A LANDLINE ?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • USE ONE

30 39.47%
  • DON'T USE ONE

46 60.53%
    I was reading this article and it got me to thinking. What is the purpose? Give me 2 reasons why we should still be using landslines ? I bet you cant

Link to article below
    What's Really Killing Land-line Telephone Business | Newsweek Voices - Daniel Gross | Newsweek.com
    07-31-08 08:59 AM
    Just cell phones here. Been without a landline for over 4 years now.
    07-31-08 09:04 AM
    I was reading this article and it got me to thinking. What is the purpose? Give me 2 reasons why we should still be using landslines ? I bet you cant

Link to article below
    What's Really Killing Land-line Telephone Business | Newsweek Voices - Daniel Gross | Newsweek.com
    When the blackout happened a couple of years ago. My cell phone worked because it was analog.

The landline worked because it has nothing to do with the power supply of the house.

Reasons to still have a landline:

1. Using the phone card on a landline is practically guaranteed instead of using a cell phone (I've had problems with calling from my cell phone)

2. Does not depend on a battery (unless you are using cordless phone)

3. Answering machine- you can record a conversation using your BB because you can play it on the answering machine.

4. Does not transmit RF or whatever the stuff is called that is now linked theoretically to cancer. So you're not walking about with a mini microwave transmitting frequency.

5. Minutes are non-existent, it is truly unlimited

6. No dropped calls, you are not getting the signal from a tower, you're getting it from a main frame or server.

Even though I have stated these reasons, I do not have a landline because I do not talk on the phone much. I don't see the point of having a landline that is in my house when I spend the whole day at work or elsewhere.

I also don't see why pay for two functions when I can just use my cell phone wisely. At this moment, I cannot afford it.
    07-31-08 09:09 AM
    Well, I still use one but it's VOIP through Lingo. The reason for this is because I'm a military member who served 8 years overseas and still have friends (and those considered family) in the UK. For this reason I have a VOIP plan that allows me to call Europe unlimited for less than $30/month. The second reason is my wife is a Realtor and needs a line in the home for our fax. Therefore, I have two lines through Lingo. That's two...lol.
    Last edited by AJErvin12; 07-31-08 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
    07-31-08 09:09 AM
    OK I should have said traditional landlines, viop does not count
    07-31-08 09:12 AM
    If I didn't get mine from the cable company for working there I wouldn't have one.

To add, what you get from cable companies is not VOIP. Just so no one gets confused, Vonage is VOIP where cable company's transmissions never enter the internet.
    07-31-08 09:13 AM
    Need one for my security system, though I think they now support Comcast's VOIP phone system.
    07-31-08 09:15 AM
    If you meant as a telephone not just for digital services, it's still needed unfortunately. I still use it occasionally when I have important calls to make.
    07-31-08 09:15 AM
    I had VOIP for several years but got rid of it a couple years ago and now I only have my cell.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-08 09:16 AM
    Need one for my security system, though I think they now support Comcast's VOIP phone system.
    See my post above. Comcast's telephone service is not VOIP. Hence why your security system can run it.
    07-31-08 09:16 AM
    Only at work.
    07-31-08 09:17 AM
    I have comcast and my alarm runs through their voip phone service. Comcast did something so that the phone jacks use the comcast phone lines..

-----

or maybe it's not voip... i just read a latter post.
    Last edited by nyte3k; 07-31-08 at 09:20 AM. Reason: more comments
    07-31-08 09:18 AM
    Haven't had one in 7 years. Cell only. When I had my current house built, I didn't even have it connected to the telco grid. The wire is still coiled up and tacked to the wall outside my garage. The house is wired, but it's not on the grid.
    07-31-08 09:20 AM
    Got rid of mine about two years ago. Stopped using it about 4 years ago though. Just say there collecting dust.

07-31-08 09:20 AM
    When the blackout happened a couple of years ago. My cell phone worked because it was analog.

The landline worked because it has nothing to do with the power supply of the house.

Reasons to still have a landline:

1. Using the phone card on a landline is practically guaranteed instead of using a cell phone (I've had problems with calling from my cell phone)

2. Does not depend on a battery (unless you are using cordless phone)

3. Answering machine- you can record a conversation using your BB because you can play it on the answering machine.

4. Does not transmit RF or whatever the stuff is called that is now linked theoretically to cancer. So you're not walking about with a mini microwave transmitting frequency.

5. Minutes are non-existent, it is truly unlimited

6. No dropped calls, you are not getting the signal from a tower, you're getting it from a main frame or server.

Even though I have stated these reasons, I do not have a landline because I do not talk on the phone much. I don't see the point of having a landline that is in my house when I spend the whole day at work or elsewhere.

I also don't see why pay for two functions when I can just use my cell phone wisely. At this moment, I cannot afford it.
    You make valid point for number your second answer.For number 5 if you have a unlimited plan your minuets are truly unlimited ,and you don't have to worry about toll call ie 718 Brooklyn calling 718 Queens is considered long distance.
    07-31-08 09:21 AM
    last time i had a land line was when i lived with my parents (under18) that was almost 8 years ago..

2 cells on me
    07-31-08 09:23 AM
    Land line? What's that? Hehe

07-31-08 09:24 AM
    There are three types of home phone service.

#1 - Landline service phone your local telephone company. Your transmissions run on their telephone lines on the poles back to their hub site and to the local switches.

#2 - Digital phone service from your local cable company. Your transmissions run on their cable lines on the poles back to their hub site and to the local switches.

#3 - VOIP from a 3rd party carrier. Your transmissions run strictly over an IP onto the internet back to their remote server and get routed to switches from there.
    07-31-08 09:24 AM
    If you have a voip service and you security service is tied in you must manipulate the data packet size , and play with your codec,I don't know if Comcast can do that with the modem/phones I might be wrong
    07-31-08 09:25 AM
    I thought technically it is still VOIP, as it uses IP (I think). But it does not use the public internet, rather using dedicated bandwidth on the DOCSIS network.
    07-31-08 09:26 AM
    No, it's only a local IP. It never leaves the cable company's internal routing. Hence why they market it as "Digital Phone" and not VOIP or Internet Phone.
    07-31-08 09:28 AM
    I could have sworn there was a thread like this back in April. Anyway, I havent had a landline is 8 years.
    07-31-08 09:28 AM
    I have the BLACKJACK. $20 A YEAR.
    07-31-08 09:29 AM
    I just signed up for TMobile's @home Voip. Can't beat $10 a month for unlimited calling! Don't need to use UMA calling at home anymore - but my Berry can still go online via my home WiFi. I was burning up $65 a month on a landline we almost never use. It is, however, a number we've had for over a decade. Did not want to lose it.

07-31-08 09:29 AM
    There are three types of home phone service.

#1 - Landline service phone your local telephone company. Your transmissions run on their telephone lines on the poles back to their hub site and to the local switches.

#2 - Digital phone service from your local cable company. Your transmissions run on their cable lines on the poles back to their hub site and to the local switches.

#3 - VOIP from a 3rd party carrier. Your transmissions run strictly over an IP onto the internet back to their remote server and get routed to switches from there.
    I think it is classified by the protocol. Cable uses sip protocol the same as lets say Vonage, Remember Vonage traffic would travel the same way as DPS from your cable company, it is all data packets. I could be wrong.
    07-31-08 09:30 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD