View Poll Results: HOW MANY OF YOU GUY'S & GAL'S STILL USE A LANDLINE ?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • USE ONE

30 39.47%
  • DON'T USE ONE

46 60.53%
    Well I have not used a landline for 8 months now. I have something that is cheaper and does depend on your internet. MajicJack $ 20 a year for phone service *unlimited local and long distance even to Canada* and works great in my opinion!

Charlie
    07-31-08 12:49 PM
    You make valid point for number your second answer.For number 5 if you have a unlimited plan your minuets are truly unlimited ,and you don't have to worry about toll call ie 718 Brooklyn calling 718 Queens is considered long distance.
    What I mean by unlimited is the pricing compared to what wireless unlimited charges are.

About toll call, nowadays long distance,(whatever it may be) is included in their landline plans.

OH, I forgot another reason:

You call dial 311 on a landline where as on a cell phone you have to dial 212-639-9675 (in new york)
    07-31-08 01:01 PM
    I haven't had a land line in 4 yrs
    07-31-08 01:11 PM
    Well I have not used a landline for 8 months now. I have something that is cheaper and does depend on your internet. MajicJack $ 20 a year for phone service *unlimited local and long distance even to Canada* and works great in my opinion!

Charlie
    Majicjack? Is it true that you have to go through some sort of advertisement before you can make a call? I don't think they will be around much longer. They have no customer service, I tried to order it and they was no one to answer my questions, Plus the founder stole patented technology. I work for the company they stole it from.
    07-31-08 01:13 PM
    No choice, it's bundled w/ my DSL and Dish Network TV through CenturyTel.
    07-31-08 01:14 PM
    I still have a landline but never use it. It's a bit pointless as I never answer it since I think most calls are from telemarketers. But 2 reasons why I still keep it.

1 Alarm system
    2 Black outs

I still remember during the blackout of 2003 where Northeastern and Midwestern US, and Ontario was without power. The onlything that worked were the landlines. We didn't get the power back until about two days here.
    07-31-08 02:44 PM
    I haven't had a land line in 3 years! once i went away to school it was either pay $--.-- a month for a land line, that i wouldnt be there to answer for the better part of a day... or get a cell phone and basically have a line anywhere i go!!... but it wasnt until about a month ago i bought a blackberry after playin around with my friends, and i can easily say... for the next 50+ years of my life i will always have a blackberry ahaha or some sort of RIM technology
    07-31-08 02:59 PM
    I would love to get rid of mine, and with the Airave unlimited for free, i could. The problem is that if me and my wife are gone, the kids(5) wouldnt have a phone to use for emergencys or anything else. Thats why we keep ours...
    07-31-08 03:10 PM
    Some of us have no choice. I have alltel and I still don't get good reception in the house. It gets pretty comical where I have to go on my land to get a signal.
    07-31-08 04:28 PM
    I still have a landline its thru my cable company. My cable, internet and phone are all bundled 2gether. I rarely use it. I give that number to my job and other people that I dont want to have direct contact with me. Those people can leave a vmail and hope I return their calls.
    07-31-08 04:33 PM
    Majicjack? Is it true that you have to go through some sort of advertisement before you can make a call? I don't think they will be around much longer. They have no customer service, I tried to order it and they was no one to answer my questions, Plus the founder stole patented technology. I work for the company they stole it from.
    Not true about the ads to make a call. They do show ads for their own features like International Long Distance which they use ATT now for that at a great price but it is not required to make calls. Really the founder stole patented technology?? I did not know that, who was the company the founder of MJ take it from?? All I did was try my sisters magicjack and I was hooked! So I ordered one from their site which I did get 30 days free and I kept mine and first year of service and the device was 46 shipped! I just realized I misspelled MagicJack as MajicJack... But overall using my internet connection results in a great call quality for $ 20 a year and if I decide next year to go with their 5 year service then it is 12 a year!

Charlie
    07-31-08 04:35 PM
    1. My fax machine is tied to my landline.
    2. I like the voice mail features, etc. and not having to "power up" to dial up.

There you have it... 2 good reasons
    07-31-08 04:36 PM
    I haven't had a land line for 6 years or better.
    07-31-08 04:43 PM
    I have one so when I'm not home and my kids don't answer their cell phones I can yell through the answering machine "where are you at and why aren't you answering your darn phone?!?"

No really, my fax is attached to the landline as is my satellite.
    07-31-08 04:46 PM
    No land line for a couple yrs. now only cell.
    07-31-08 04:51 PM
    Got att and then just got rid of the land line. my mom dosent like it but i wanted cell phones lol
    07-31-08 04:55 PM
    Not true about the ads to make a call. They do show ads for their own features like International Long Distance which they use ATT now for that at a great price but it is not required to make calls. Really the founder stole patented technology?? I did not know that, who was the company the founder of MJ take it from?? All I did was try my sisters magicjack and I was hooked! So I ordered one from their site which I did get 30 days free and I kept mine and first year of service and the device was 46 shipped! I just realized I misspelled MagicJack as MajicJack... But overall using my internet connection results in a great call quality for $ 20 a year and if I decide next year to go with their 5 year service then it is 12 a year!

Charlie
    LOL I called it black jack. I got Magic Jack too
    07-31-08 07:22 PM

Charlie
    Mark Baker is the inventor , I2telcom is who it used to belong to, but they sold the patent. I don't see how they can survive with prices like that . the telecom industry is a expensive business, I don't know how they can last.
    07-31-08 08:02 PM
    I still have a landline but its just a regular phone no call waiting no caller id just a phone. When Isabel hit a few years back my cell phone did come in handy because that was the only thing that work but in the case of an emergency, I think a landline is still needed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-08 09:00 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD