I know TCL is now raising BlackBerry Mobile's flag, but I read in this forum that other companies already being licensed to use BlackBerry brand.
    So, what are they?
    If TCL left the game, that means other companies take the lead and manufacture BlackBerry branded phones, but how and who controls that?
    05-16-19 01:28 PM
    I know TCL is now raising BlackBerry Mobile's flag, but I read in this forum that other companies already being licensed to use BlackBerry brand.
    So, what are they?
    If TCL left the game, that means other companies take the lead and manufacture BlackBerry branded phones, but how and who controls that?
    If TCL stops, there's technically no one with a North American license. The others are for different regions and/or only license 'BlackBerry Secure'.

- Optiemus
    - BB Merah Putih
    - Punkt (they only license 'BlackBerry Secure')
    - Bullitt Group (CAT, Land Rover phones, etc)
    Rico4you likes this.
    05-16-19 01:38 PM
    For the complete package only TCL and Optiemus are left, PT BB Merah Putih is history it seems.

Android Secure (software/know how) - has three Punkt, NDA and Bullitt.

TCL leaves the game... Might see someone license just the keyboard.... But I don't see BlackBerry sticking with Android Secure with this level of volume, nor risking their name without it.
    05-16-19 01:45 PM
    If TCL stops, there's technically no one with a North American license. The others are for different regions and/or only license 'BlackBerry Secure'.

- Optiemus
    - BB Merah Putih
    - Punkt (they only license 'BlackBerry Secure')
    - Bullitt Group (CAT, Land Rover phones, etc)
    What Bullit group has done so far?

If TCL ditched the license, could one of these companies or other new ones fill the gap in North America?
    05-16-19 01:49 PM
    For the complete package only TCL and Optiemus are left, PT BB Merah Putih is history it seems.

Android Secure (software/know how) - has three Punkt, NDA and Bullitt.

TCL leaves the game... Might see someone license just the keyboard.... But I don't see BlackBerry sticking with Android Secure with this level of volume, nor risking their name without it.
    Correct.
    This might dilute the brand name.
    05-16-19 01:51 PM

If TCL ditched the license, could one of these companies or other new ones fill the gap in North America?
    Nothing that I'm aware of, either way, it would just be them using BlackBerry's Android. If TCL goes, I doubt any of the existing folks would have the capacity / desire to take it over.
    05-16-19 02:12 PM

Could someone take over... yes.

But why would they?
    05-16-19 02:51 PM

Optiemus is strictly in India, as that's where they are based out of.

Merah Putih covers only the Indonesian market.

I doubt either can make something for the American market without already being here in some way, and they are not.
    05-16-19 04:42 PM

If TCL does not re-sign, I think the next step would be for BlackBerry to just licence its keyboard.
    the_boon and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    05-16-19 10:02 PM
    If TCL does not re-sign, I think the next step would be for BlackBerry to just licence its keyboard.
    Do you know when current TCL contract ends?
    05-16-19 10:07 PM
    Do you know when current TCL contract ends?
    2.5 years. They are halfway through.
    05-16-19 10:07 PM
    2.5 years. They are halfway through.
    Great!
    Is there anyway to read about the contract terms like the fees and duration?
    05-16-19 10:17 PM
    Great!
    Is there anyway to read about the contract terms like the fees and duration?
    Not that I know of.
    05-16-19 10:17 PM
    On PT BB Merah Putih.... Their website domain has come back up, but it states in the fine print on the contact us page "We are not an Official BlackBerry website and not PT BB Merah Putih." But it sure looks like they want you to think that they are.
    05-17-19 09:27 AM