How many BlackBerry 10 devices are out there? And how many still needs to be sold to make a wide enough user base that could move developers to make native apps for the platform?

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 10:13 AM
    Not sure about this but John Chen has stated that BlackBerry needs to sell 10 million units to turn a profit.

Posted via CB10
    SmileDahling likes this.
    06-25-14 10:49 AM
    How many BlackBerry 10 devices are out there? And how many still needs to be sold to make a wide enough user base that could move developers to make native apps for the platform?

Posted via CB10
    Native development is basically dead in "developed" nations, after the deal with Amazon went through.

So I am tempted to answer your question with: "It'll never be enough, now".

Not sure about this but John Chen has stated that BlackBerry needs to sell 10 million units to turn a profit.

Posted via CB10
    10 million in a market that had a size of nearly 1 billion last year.
    Just to put it into context.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-25-14 11:15 AM
    Native development is basically dead in "developed" nations, after the deal with Amazon went through.

So I am tempted to answer your question with: "It'll never be enough, now".

10 million in a market that had a size of nearly 1 billion last year.
    Just to put it into context.

Posted via CB10

I don't think it's dead, I think it will either continue slowly or have a good come back once there is a fair enough marketshare. The point is how many could be a decent marketshare to kickstart the native development? But it's true, the market has almost 2 billions by the end of this year.
    06-25-14 11:44 AM
    I was under the thought that the Z3 would help increase market share given the promise of being priced under $200. Unfortunately, this wasn't carried on with the launch for India and Malaysia..

I'm just hoping the Amazon app store brings in more people to buy the devices.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 11:53 AM
    I'm just hoping the Amazon app store brings in more people to buy the devices.
    The Z3 has a far better chance of increasing BB's marketshare than the Amazon deal does. The Amazon deal will help placate existing BB10 users, but only a very, very few (and almost all former hardcore BB fans) will now choose BB10 because the Amazon market is pre-loaded.

The typical consumer will want a phone that ties into the Apple App Store or Google Play. Most people realize that Amazon's market isn't serious competition for either of those, and every new app that advertises itself with "find us in the App Store and Google Play" reinforces that. Besides, consumers who want Android apps will choose an Android phone rather than run Android apps in an emulator.

The Z3 is the best decision BB has made in recent memory, and has the greatest potential to grow marketshare, but it was also very late, and the emerging markets that were such strongholds for BB are moving to Android at incredible speed, and the price competition is still a challenge for the Z3 despite being a huge improvement over the previous phones' pricing.

The Classic is moving backwards - it's to entice the most entrenched BBOS users to move to BB10, but that's a market niche that has been shrinking for years and continues to shrink. It's the old parable about buggy whips in the age of the automobile all over again.

The Passport is a super-niche device that's getting some attention because it's so different, but even most BB fans aren't interested, and I predict very, very few consumers who aren't existing BB users will choose it. Some businesses may buy them for employees, but I'm still not convinced that this model will sell in any real numbers.

And while the Z30 is a good phone, it was well behind the hardware curve when it was released, and now, halfway through 2014, it is WAY behind. The consumer market made it clear years ago that all-touch devices were the overwhelming preference, and BB not releasing an updated all-touch device until next year is only going to further erode BB's presence in mature consumer markets over the next 6-9 months. I'm not sure that BB will ever recover from that in the consumer market, and I'm bewildered that they'd invest in the ultra-niche Passport instead of a new all-touch that has a much, much wider potential appeal. Perhaps it's all the unsold Z10 inventory - I don't know.
    06-25-14 01:47 PM
    The Z3 has a far better chance of increasing BB's marketshare than the Amazon deal does. The Amazon deal will help placate existing BB10 users, but only a very, very few (and almost all former hardcore BB fans) will now choose BB10 because the Amazon market is pre-loaded.

The typical consumer will want a phone that ties into the Apple App Store or Google Play. Most people realize that Amazon's market isn't serious competition for either of those, and every new app that advertises itself with "find us in the App Store and Google Play" reinforces that. Besides, consumers who want Android apps will choose an Android phone rather than run Android apps in an emulator.

The Z3 is the best decision BB has made in recent memory, and has the greatest potential to grow marketshare, but it was also very late, and the emerging markets that were such strongholds for BB are moving to Android at incredible speed, and the price competition is still a challenge for the Z3 despite being a huge improvement over the previous phones' pricing.

The Classic is moving backwards - it's to entice the most entrenched BBOS users to move to BB10, but that's a market niche that has been shrinking for years and continues to shrink. It's the old parable about buggy whips in the age of the automobile all over again.

The Passport is a super-niche device that's getting some attention because it's so different, but even most BB fans aren't interested, and I predict very, very few consumers who aren't existing BB users will choose it. Some businesses may buy them for employees, but I'm still not convinced that this model will sell in any real numbers.

And while the Z30 is a good phone, it was well behind the hardware curve when it was released, and now, halfway through 2014, it is WAY behind. The consumer market made it clear years ago that all-touch devices were the overwhelming preference, and BB not releasing an updated all-touch device until next year is only going to further erode BB's presence in mature consumer markets over the next 6-9 months. I'm not sure that BB will ever recover from that in the consumer market, and I'm bewildered that they'd invest in the ultra-niche Passport instead of a new all-touch that has a much, much wider potential appeal. Perhaps it's all the unsold Z10 inventory - I don't know.
    I see at least someone is listening to me :P

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 02:05 PM
    a new all-touch that has a much, much wider potential appeal.
    ^
    ^
    ^
    That!!
    06-26-14 04:04 AM