I've thought about the same thing as OP.

Apple will never let another keyboard onto their be loved iOS platform, but Google might be another story.

I was thinking BlackBerry could make their BB10 keyboard available ONLY in BBM, so if people wanted to experience it, they would have to use BBM. This would get people to see what BlackBerry has to offer, and then as soon as they left the app, they were back to having to use their Android keyboard (I've used it on my Z10 back when we had to load Google Keyboard to be able to type in Instagram... it just wasn't as good as the BB10 keyboard).

I don't think the OP's idea is crazy or bad at all. I think BlackBerry's main focus will be on software, and the BlackBerry 10 keyboard is definitely one piece of software that even non BlackBerry fans will agree is pretty good. I think I even remember BGR saying something nice about the BB10 keyboard... and THAT'S saying something.
    Speedygi and Vorkosigan like this.
    12-26-13 01:44 AM
    No, BB should NOT port their keyboard..
    12-26-13 01:50 AM
    Your idea is ridiculous and a waste of resources which BlackBerry cannot afford. Focus focus, focus. Deliver, deliver, deliver. Failure is not an option.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    Failure may not be an option, but they got it regardless. The plan was to breathe new life into the brand with a new OS and phones. That failed, the old model still outsells the new, the new is being pushed to very low end markets in an attempt to get those on OS7 to switch, that likely won't happen. BB10 failed and it's really time to come to terms with that. If they do survive we as consumers won't see a BlackBerry that's notable or worth buying for well over a year. The plan is clearly to abandon the north American market, produce cheap phones and survive on life support for the foreseeable future. Aka stabilization. They may stabilize but consumers who like the z10, q10, z30 lines won't have anything to upgrade to for a long time. Considering the z10 (my model) is limited to 2 year old hardware and the z30 isn't much better this likely means I'll leave bb10 sometime soon. I don't keep phones long, and they have nothing to offer new. A leaked OS every few months is not a sustainable system and very few people, even here, do that.

They would probably be better off capitalizing on the few things they have that nobody else does. Like the keyboard. Why not? They aren't making any money in North America so why not try to?
    12-26-13 01:54 AM
    For sure I'd buy it for iOS. I'd probably get it for Android too, even though I'm perfectly fine with SwiftKey. For one handed use, I prefer flicking up rather than swiping.
    12-26-13 01:58 AM
    Swiftkey works for me much better on my S3 than the BB10 keyboard did when i had the Z10 before the Q, I find the word suggestions and the flicking thing awkward on BB10 because they're too small....
    12-26-13 02:09 AM
    You mean ridiculous like Blackberry giving away BBM to IOS and Android user? because they did that already, I'd pay for BB10 Flick keyboard or Playbook's keyboard for my tablet today. Blackberry wouldn't have to hope to recoup expense in the future like they current do now with BBM. Also Mr. Chen seem pretty willing to port Blackberry to Android and IOS.
    We all know cross-platform BlackBerry Messenger was a Hail Mary tactic by BlackBerry to gain a bit of mindshare. But as any good service provider understands, offer the basic service for free and implement a tiered subscription model for the enhanced features (BBM video, BBM WiFi calling, etc.). Right now BlackBerry management is still thrashing around in the chum-filled waters while the sharks tighten the radius of their circular path. They need to figure out their survival strategy PDQ and implement it without further delay.
    12-26-13 11:19 AM
    Z10 keyboard is emulated (exactly the same way) in iPhone, but only when it's jailbroken. It's called Octopus Keyboard (of all the names).
    I do not think tampering the iPhone keyboard is something Apple would allow, except they might add a few alternate keyboards (Swiftkey etc) in their App Store.
    But you never know.
    Many of the BB10 features are borrowed from other platforms, or licensed anyway (a camera feature, for example).
    12-26-13 02:43 PM
    Question. Like BBM should Blackberry port their BB10 flick keyboard to android and IOS devices for a reasonable price. I personally us Swiftkey keyboards for both my Samsung S3 and Samsung Tab 2, It's maybe the best keyboard upgrade currently in the Google play Store. I've used the BB10 Flick keyboard and was really impressed by it. For me it would be a instant buy no questions asked like getting BBM on my android, also I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the Playbook keyboard for my Samsung Tab 2 if the BB10 Flick keyboard were not available for my Tablet. Mr. Chen said he wanted to put the Blackberry experience on Android and IOS, personally I think this would be a good start along with BBM.
    There are so many keyboard options on Android, this would likely become just another app that likely wouldn't be able to overtake Google, Swiftkey or Swype. Check out this one, it has very similar functionality:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...k.smartinputv5
    12-26-13 05:25 PM
    I wouldn't. I find SwiftKey to be the best virtual keyboard on the market.

I turn the flicking off on my Z10.
    12-26-13 06:19 PM
34 12