Hi!

I just bought a blackberry curve 8530 without a data plan. I get charged 3$ a month if I use even just 1kb of data. Being the cheap ******* that I am, I want to know how to make sure that my blackberry doesn't use any data while keeping data services on since I want to be able to use wifi.

So far, I've done the following:

-Setting the browser to hotspot
    -Disabling the GPS
    -Disabling the auto update of the date/time
    -The only other app that uses internet is logicmail and it's set for wifi only

Even after all that, my account details still show between 1 and 5kb of data usage per day. Where could that be coming from?

Thanks a lot!
    07-13-10 02:07 PM
    Hi!

I just bought a blackberry curve 8530 without a data plan. I get charged 3$ a month if I use even just 1kb of data. Being the cheap ******* that I am, I want to know how to make sure that my blackberry doesn't use any data while keeping data services on since I want to be able to use wifi.

So far, I've done the following:

-Setting the browser to hotspot
    -Disabling the GPS
    -Disabling the auto update of the date/time
    -The only other app that uses internet is logicmail and it's set for wifi only

Even after all that, my account details still show between 1 and 5kb of data usage per day. Where could that be coming from?

Thanks a lot!
    mmm . . I could be wrong but maybe because of BBM, because it sends and receives some data.

Try the following; disable data at all times and enable it only when you want to connect using wi-fi
    Last edited by Ahmed G.; 07-13-10 at 02:48 PM.
    07-13-10 02:26 PM
    Disabling data stops you from getting SMS/MMS. Just a note.

Remove BBM (search here in the 1st 2 pages, there is a thread telling you how) and check if you don't have something else trying to connect.
    07-13-10 02:32 PM

Remove BBM (search here in the 1st 2 pages, there is a thread telling you how) and check if you don't have something else trying to connect.
    Did not know that ! . . . added to CB's daily knowledge gained
    07-13-10 02:42 PM
    I'm assuming you are using you are using your BB as a phone? Because if you weren't, you could disable the wireless network, and enable only wifi. Just checking

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-10 03:42 PM
    If your a cheap *** and don't want to pay for data why spend the money on a smart phone?

07-13-10 06:35 PM
    Well sometimes in todays economy ppl can't afford the luxary anymore or for the time being.

But if you completely take the data package off your phonr (just like what I did once with my iphone). The device will just be a sms txt and phone. No mms/picture messaging.
    Plus without the data package your phone won't connect to BIS or the net unless on wifi. Even if you tried, it will say network unavailable or something.

Just my expierence with it.

07-13-10 07:24 PM
    If your a cheap *** and don't want to pay for data why spend the money on a smart phone?

Because data plans are expensive where I live and the wifi is enough for me. Plus I wanted a good phone with a qwerty keyboard that I could also use as a mp3 player. Plus I had a good deal on the curve. Any other questions?

Thanks to the others for actually answering my question. I tried disabling the BBM in the properties, we'll see how that goes. Any other idea what could be using data apart from that? Thanks again!
    07-13-10 08:49 PM

We could also ask "If you are a jack *** and won't present a solution to the problem why spend time posting?".
    07-13-10 09:20 PM
    Is it different in different countries? I'm in Mexico and if I don't activate my BIS every month (prepaid) then I can't download anything, use anything except for SMS and calls. Wifi would rarely work and that's it. I can't see how your phone can access data if your data plan is inactive.

07-14-10 12:28 PM
    Is it different in different countries? I'm in Mexico and if I don't activate my BIS every month (prepaid) then I can't download anything, use anything except for SMS and calls. Wifi would rarely work and that's it. I can't see how your phone can access data if your data plan is inactive.
    More like different carriers...

I'll use two from around here as an example:

VIVO won't charge you for data if you don't have a data plan unless you go WAP and go over the monthly allowance they give to all phones.

TIM Brasil will do the same for DumbPhones. BlackBerries thou, will be charged per MB unless you go for a data plan.

I know many others are like this as well (like O2 UK, unless they changed this).
    07-14-10 12:41 PM

This is only partially correct. Disabling data will stop you from getting MMS, but you will still be able to recieve SMS messages, as they are transmitted differently than a MMS, which needs data to transmit.

I went on a cruise in March, and I disabled the data on my phone, but kept the radio on so that I could recieve a text message if something was happening at home. SMS came thru no problem, both sending and recieving.
    07-14-10 02:12 PM
    This is only partially correct. Disabling data will stop you from getting MMS, but you will still be able to recieve SMS messages, as they are transmitted differently than a MMS, which needs data to transmit.

I went on a cruise in March, and I disabled the data on my phone, but kept the radio on so that I could recieve a text message if something was happening at home. SMS came thru no problem, both sending and recieving.
    Then it must be something about the good old GSM x CDMA. Because I am sure as he|l I don't get SMS when data is off.

If that is so, then the OP can turn data off and enjoy a fee-free life.
    07-14-10 02:58 PM
    I noticed a new option ytday when I upgraded the OS to 5.0. 4.6 OS didn't have this.

You can now turn off Data alone and still have your BB for calls, sms etc.

Go to Manage Connections Mobile Network Options Data Services-on or off.

You can turn off Data this way.

Last edited by Solachica; 07-14-10 at 04:47 PM.
    07-14-10 04:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD