what do i need to do make gps work on 8330? sorry Im a noob.
    12-21-08 10:31 AM
    Nothing really. Apps like Google Maps will automatically turn GPS on and if you are outside, you should get a lock on satellites within a minute or two.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 10:46 AM
    Nothing really. Apps like Google Maps will automatically turn GPS on and if you are outside, you should get a lock on satellites within a minute or two.

do I need data service and any other third party software or hardware?
    (noob question)
    12-21-08 10:57 AM
    Most apps that use GPS will also download data (like maps), so generally speaking, you will need a data plan. There are some GPS tracking apps like GPSed that use the GPS to track your movements but they won't require a data plan. Not as useful without one, but will still work.

12-21-08 11:04 AM
    Don't need extra hardware and BB Maps comes installed. The other apps I mentioned are free.

12-21-08 11:06 AM
    Don't need extra hardware and BB Maps comes installed. The other apps I mentioned are free.

thanks for taking time to answer my questions. I really
    appreciate that!

peace
    12-21-08 11:44 AM
    I deleted BBMaps off my device. Do I need to reinstall?
    12-21-08 12:50 PM
    I deleted BBMaps off my device. Do I need to reinstall?

How are you going to use BBMaps if you uninstalled it?

1) Upgrade to the new 4.7 Device Manager
    2) Delete BBMaps off your BB before hand
    3) Install the new updated OS 4.5 using the 4.7 device manager. Make sure you reinstall BBMaps at this point. I dont know why but you need to use the 4.7 DM to install the OS.
    4) Go to Options, Advanced Options, GPS. Make sure Data Source is Device GPS and GPS Services is Location on, NOT 911 Only.
    5) Go to BBMaps and use either Find Location, Where I Am or Start GPS navigation.
    6) It will search for satallites so make sure you have a clear view of the sky. it doesnt work in my apartment, but it works on the street.
    7) Enjoy

This worked for me and others as well. If I missed a step add it in. If it doesnt work check in BBMaps options what GPS is being used. Make sure its the device option.
    12-21-08 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD