I'm asking the above question because the Playbook supports native email connectivity. So... I can then make the inference that BB10 also will not. So given that... how long can I continue to use BIS/BES on a BB 6 or earlier device before I stop receiving mail? Or will it stop?

Curious minds....
    07-26-12 08:41 PM
    RIM said BIS will still have a role. Certainly BES will.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    07-26-12 08:43 PM
    BIS and BES will evolve to support both the legacy devices and the new BlackBerry 10 devices. The question though is when this support for the newest BlackBerry devices will be ready. In my opinion, the delay in releasing BlackBerry 10 smartphones can be traced back to the fact the infrastructure cannot handle it yet.
    07-26-12 08:47 PM
    BIS and BES will evolve to support both the legacy devices and the new BlackBerry 10 devices. The question though is when this support for the newest BlackBerry devices will be ready. In my opinion, the delay in releasing BlackBerry 10 smartphones can be traced back to the fact the infrastructure cannot handle it yet.
    That is something that seems to have dogged RIM to no end -- compatibility with the NOC. I have often thought about the fact that you have the legacy folks who know the NOC stuff inside and out. Then in came the QNX folks to effectively take over. These teams have to work closely to get this stuff right and done in time. I wonder how well they are working together.
    sevoman likes this.
    07-29-12 08:14 AM
    That is something that seems to have dogged RIM to no end -- compatibility with the NOC. I have often thought about the fact that you have the legacy folks who know the NOC stuff inside and out. Then in came the QNX folks to effectively take over. These teams have to work closely to get this stuff right and done in time. I wonder how well they are working together.
    sorry, but what is NOC?
    07-29-12 11:40 AM
    It's probably a little too soon to draw any conclusions...
    07-29-12 01:05 PM
    sorry, but what is NOC?
    Network Operations Center - most RIM traffic runs on their own network
    07-29-12 01:13 PM
    wow peoples informantion is so out dated, they bash and hit RIM without knowing the current buzz around the company, not to say the OP is bashing, its just an observation
    07-29-12 02:27 PM
    Please, enlighten me then. I wrote this post based on the observation that I have the Exchange Activesync mailboxes created on my Playbook without using any BES services. Since this is QNX I was inferring that the QNX on handsets would be similar. Or am I really that mistaken?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-30-12 06:58 AM
    *** three Exchange Activesync mailboxes

07-30-12 07:06 AM
    Please, enlighten me then. I wrote this post based on the observation that I have the Exchange Activesync mailboxes created on my Playbook without using any BES services. Since this is QNX I was inferring that the QNX on handsets would be similar. Or am I really that mistaken?

You're correct but misinformed for thinking BIS would come to an end entirely. RIM has profited immensely on emerging markets and what North American users consider, older devices. There will be no pulling of BIS, that would essentially mean cutting the hands off of those who have been feeding them through this transition. In short, RIM won't be pulling a Microsoft any time soon.
    07-30-12 07:10 AM
    Very true, QNX is indeed free from BIS/BES but all in the while it will continue to support it for the Blackberry 10 compatibility and Blackberry 7. RIM has stated several times already that Blackberry 7 and Blackberry 10 will run concurrent of each other and devices will still be produced for Blackberry 7 as well as increasing its support through Blackberry Bridge to be more fluid.
    Sum it up, BIS/BES will be around for while still yet before it gets dropped.
    07-30-12 04:41 PM

The PlayBook actually does use the NOC. For setting up an email account, for example (see the explanation below).

BES (actually, the "new BES") will still perform some security functions. But apparently it will not be necessary if the only goal is to have BB10 phones access an EAS server in the same way as iPhones and Android phones can.

What BIS will do is not clear. Here are two threads in which I gave my opinion, and you can read various other opinions in these threads.

| http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ession-734395/

| http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ml#post7520940

Here are some explanations (of the "new BES", mainly) that I have collected:

| How BlackBerry email setup is getting easier | News | TechRadar
    But the PlayBook doesn't connect directly to the mail service. BlackBerry software head Vivek Bhardwaj told TechRadar that PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 still take advantage of the BlackBerry infrastructure and servers but things are a lot easier. [Bhardwaj said:] "I can put in my Gmail account and what we do in the background is take the username and read the domain [from the email address] and we do all the heavy lifting to get the settings and do all the configuration and send that back down to the device." ... Mail will be just as secure, promises Bhardwaj. "The device talks EAS but we wrap security around it. The messages go through a secure tunnel that's created by BIS or BES, but the transport inside it is EAS."

| http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7025187
    The answer is that Mobile Fusion is basically the next version of BES. Call it BES2 if you want to. It shouldn't be too surprising that with the BBOS to BB10 switch it's going to require a new version of BES. ActiveSync however will likely replace BIS for email, and possibly BES for less security conscious organizations. BIS doesn't have the security advantages over ActiveSync that BES does.

| http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7025354
    Fusion is the new BES. So old BES doesn't factor in here. Fusion communicates with Exchange, probably over ActiveSync, then relays that data to BB10 device. The security concerns about ActiveSync are entirely about exposing ActiveSync to the public internet. Behind the firewall between Fusion and Exchange using ActiveSync is fine. If behind the firewall isn't a trusted secure area you've got much bigger issues as your network has already been breached.

| http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...6/#post7165412
    Yes Fusion is out for a 90 day trial. You cant connect your Playbook to your BES but you can connect it to the BDS (BlackBerry Device Service). BDS is the future BES if you will which will be managing the new OS. Fusion is just the front end that will allow you to mangage BES, BDS and UDS (for iOS and Android devices). You can just install the BDS and connect your playbook to it and use it's MDS service just like BES to connect to your network or you can do the straight ActiveSync to your server. BDS come with Fusion.

| http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ml#post7045107
    BB10 uses activesync for corporate data. The difference is, instead of outbound/inbound to your exchange server, it connects to the BES and then through the PAS to Exchange. Everything is done behind the firewall and then through existing ports. Thus the BB security model stays in place.
    Roo Zilla and southlander like this.
    07-30-12 06:49 PM
    My question next is only out of sheer curiosity. I haven't searched for an answer yet, but will the "new BES" be backwards compatible? Trying to imagine how a customer's premise that allows BYOD (Bring Your Own Device), including older BB devices, new/old Androids and iOS devices. I'm hoping there won't be a cluster of servers needed to support the same central mail server. Hope it's all capable of consolidating on one edge server.

07-30-12 10:19 PM
    Now some of this is new for me to, I don't know much about Mobile Fusion and the there was several abbreviations in there that I have not seen as of yet regard Blackberry 10. He does give a better understanding using the Playbook on how it works, but still needs more detail in the structure.
    07-31-12 12:37 AM
    My understanding is that if you are on BES and want to use a BB10 device on BES, your IT department will have to add Mobile Fusion to the server. I'm not sure how many IT departments will actually be planning on doing this, or how many will simply wait and see if there is enough demand.
    07-31-12 07:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD