View Poll Results: How long have you had your cellphone number?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-1 years

13 7.56%
  • 1-3 years

13 7.56%
  • 3-5 years

26 15.12%
  • 5-8 years

44 25.58%
  • 8-10 years

28 16.28%
  • 10+ years

48 27.91%
05-20-10 09:04 AM
77 1234
tools
    I had to laugh at your reference to the "ex." Last night, i received an email from my ex (we divorced in 1992), that she had forwarded after it bounced back to her from the original send, which was to an email that I last had in 1991!! She has my current phone number, as does everyone I've ever been involved with since then. I guess I'm lucky, I've never had a relationship of any kind (friendship or love) that ended on such a sour note I'd dread that they may call me again.

My only reason for changing my number was from moving across the country, not for any other reason.

I've had the same cell # since I got my first "bag phone" (no laughing now) about nineteen years ago, and through numerous newer phones ever since.

Personally, to me it would be a bigger pain in the hiney to get a new number out to everyone who I want to have it, than to worry about the occasional "blast from the past".

Even my ex still has my number, but even with that, I don't think it would be worth the hassle to change it. Not to me anyhoo.

05-07-10 05:17 PM
    I was just wondering this the other day, so it's funny that this thread was started. I've only had my number for six years. And regrettably, my loser ex does have it, although only because I was court-ordered to give it to him. I've often thought of getting a new number and giving it to everyone BUT him and then rolling the old number to a prepaid that I only turn on when our son is with him, but since BlackBerry and YouMail I now just block him when my son is with me.

Back on topic...... I'm ASTONISHED that some people have had their numbers for so long!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-10 05:23 PM
    About 11 years now. I'm so attached to my number now that I can't even imagine changing it. I have it connected to GV so its easy to block anyone.
    05-07-10 05:33 PM
    I've had this one for about 6 years now. It's a major PITA to change numbers and to notify everyone who needs it. I only used to change if I moved to a new city somewhere. With portability, I may just keep this number forever.
    05-07-10 05:41 PM
    Just got a new one this week (swapped carriers, and they could not port my old Number...was out of their coverage area). Had my previous number for 3.5 yrs.

Glad to not have to worry about ex's calling anymore.

I seem to change numbers every 2-3yrs, due to different reasons, can still remember most of the old ones, from back to 2001 when i first got a cell (microtec 650 beast)
    05-07-10 05:43 PM
    6 years for me. Didn't change it through all of my financial woes, just added software to block anyone I didn't want to talk to. So much better than the bad old days. I've had someone from the previous holder call on occasion, but rare.

05-07-10 05:59 PM
    6+ years or so. I can't really remember anymore. Sad, I know.
    05-07-10 06:03 PM
    3+ years for me..
    05-07-10 06:15 PM
    Ive had mine since AT&T bought out SunCom here in Arkansas about 4-5 years ago.
    05-07-10 07:47 PM
    I've had my current phone number for 2 years and 3 months now.
    05-07-10 07:54 PM
    I've had the same number for 6 years and through 4 carriers. Planning on keeping it for as long as I have a cell phone. No real reason to change your number anymore.

05-07-10 08:19 PM
    Although I have actually had the same cellular service for 20+, Pac Tel Cellular > Airtouch > Verizon Wireless, my phone number was hacked twice while driving along the Santa Monica Freeway over a matter of months. Otherwise, I would have the same number for 20+ years.
    05-07-10 08:20 PM
    Probably 7-8 years. I hardly use it now, it just forwards to my Google Voice number since I have a BB for work. I tried to get people to switch to my GVoice number with mixed success. I try to mask my calls from my work BB using GVoice but I sometimes forget or have problems and just call direct from my work BB, so now there's 3 different numbers people call me on and I can't tell which number they are calling because all the incoming calls look the same. Instead of consolidating things, GVoice has almost complicated it instead.

I'm trying to get them to just reimburse me for phone/bb service instead of using one from work. At least that will get rid of one number. I've just about got it worked out. One of the main reasons I'm working towards that is that I want the Slider and it looks to be GSM and not CDMA, so T-Mo better get it. It'll also help since I still need personal service for the wife and kid and now my 4th grader thinks she needs a phone... ugh...
    05-07-10 08:31 PM
    I have had the same number since I turned 21.. So about 4.5 years now. Which at the time I was with AT&T but since last year I've had my number ported over to T-Mobile. I did start another number with Tmo back in 07 but had it turned off from confusion. Everyone I know has this number, and though I have a couple GV numbers I wouldn't switch or really give that number out because of the lack of mms support. So my main number is always reachable and my main GV number is a business line.

05-07-10 09:41 PM
    I've had the samea cell phone number for about a couple of years with sprint and a few years later I had pre-paid phones from time to time. I got my bb tour back in october '09,

05-07-10 10:15 PM
    I've had my same number since my first cell phone, Which I got around 1990, so about 20 years! Not only that, but I haven't changed service providers either, though in those days it wasn't called Verizon Wireless...
    05-07-10 10:58 PM
    I've had mine for about 8 or 9 years. I remember when number portability went into law. All the cell companies were scrambling to get it implemented in time. LOL. First cell was a startac I think. Lots of fun.

05-07-10 10:59 PM
    due to circumstances beyone my control I had to change my number a couple of times. I have had this number for over a yr now.
    05-07-10 11:11 PM
    I have had my number for over 8 yrs. and through 3 carriers.
    05-07-10 11:20 PM
    I got sober on 7/23/2002, and changed my cell number at that point, too many of my druggie "friends" had it. Been my current number ever since. Mostly filled up with people in recovery now, and normies of course.
    Wow, exact same situation with me...5 years in September.

Great to hear you beat it!(Grant me the serenity)

On topic....like I said above, when I changed my life, I changed my number..so 4 1/2 years...old number had for about 8

05-08-10 12:10 AM
    I think about 4 years now. I changed it after my divorce from my ex.
    05-08-10 12:26 AM
    Over 7 years now...

05-08-10 04:22 AM
    Since 1995, presently Verizon, back then was
    "Bell Atlantic NYNEX Mobile"
    05-08-10 05:42 AM
    I've had the same cell # since I got my first "bag phone" (no laughing now) about nineteen years ago, and through numerous newer phones ever since.

Personally, to me it would be a bigger pain in the hiney to get a new number out to everyone who I want to have it, than to worry about the occasional "blast from the past".

Even my ex still has my number, but even with that, I don't think it would be worth the hassle to change it. Not to me anyhoo.

Ha Ha I had a bag phone. I'd have to sit down on a bench unzip it, pick the handset off the base and then dial the number. It was like carrying around your home phone! Those were the days! LOL
    05-08-10 07:00 AM
    over 10 years through 3 carriers...
    05-08-10 09:18 AM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD