I'm not sure if it's my OS update or my location, but I noticed it takes FOREVER for the GPS satellites to find my location now. Previously I was using .167 back in Hawaii and it took google maps only about 5-15 seconds to pin my location.

Now with .185 in Boston it takes so long for google maps to find me that I just give up using it. I've tried refreshing my GPS in the advanced options but I'd estimate it takes about ~5mins+ for it to finally work.

Any thoughts?
    01-17-09 03:24 PM
    How long is forever?

Sometimes it takes longer than others for me. Usually it's within the first 30 seconds after the application loads though.
    01-17-09 03:27 PM
    what app are you using for the gps? My previous phone had wm6 and the google maps had a gps option. the google maps for the bb doesn't have that (at least I haven't found it).

TIA

Dave
    01-17-09 04:03 PM
    what app are you using for the gps? My previous phone had wm6 and the google maps had a gps option. the google maps for the bb doesn't have that (at least I haven't found it).

TIA

Dave
    The version of google maps that I have uses the GPS. If it can't find any satellites then it uses the triangulation though. There isn't a specific "Use gps" option - it just uses it when it can.

I have version 2.3.2.
    01-17-09 04:10 PM
    OK that's the same version I'm running. So when it finds a gps signal it locks on automatically? Mine usually give me a location by cell towers.

Thanks
    Dave
    01-17-09 04:14 PM
    OK that's the same version I'm running. So when it finds a gps signal it locks on automatically? Mine usually give me a location by cell towers.

Thanks
    Dave
    You'll see a message at the bottom saying something like "You're location within 700 meters. waiting for gps".

Basically if you see a light blue circle around the blue dot then it found it using the cell towers. If it's just the blue dot then it used the GPS. It doesn't get any GPS signal indoors though.

You should make sure it has permissions to query the GPS in the application options too.
    01-17-09 04:22 PM
    ok thanks, I have found that that little blue circle is pretty accurate though.

Dave
    01-17-09 04:23 PM
    How long is forever?

Sometimes it takes longer than others for me. Usually it's within the first 30 seconds after the application loads though.
    Ok I just timed it and it took 3 minutes. But when I was standing outside in 5 degree weather trying to find a place on foot, it sure seemed like forever...
    01-17-09 04:32 PM
    13.672 secs.
    01-17-09 04:33 PM
    Does anyone know if densely populated cities make it harder to pinpoint your location?
    01-17-09 04:35 PM
    Does anyone know if densely populated cities make it harder to pinpoint your location?
    The only thing that might cause a problem is if there are a lot of tall buildings surrounding you.

The number of people shouldn't be a factor.
    01-17-09 04:38 PM
    The only thing that might cause a problem is if there are a lot of tall buildings surrounding you.

The number of people shouldn't be a factor.
    IMO, there is clearly an issue w how different OS interact with the aGPS. .167 was slow as crap for me, .185 was decent, .210 was great. .216 sucks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-09 10:20 PM
    I'm not sure, but pretty darn quick. I use AT&T Navigator.

A couple of seconds at the most.
    01-17-09 10:22 PM
    Yes, of course. aGPS helps, but anything that obscures the sky is going to hinder getting a lock.
    01-17-09 11:51 PM
    it seems to lock faster if you are on the move. #1 thing is you gotta be outside. but seems to pick up super quick every time i'm in a car.
    01-17-09 11:56 PM
    i use google maps, and sometimes it picks up right away, and sometimes it take forever, very streaky....i would love a free gps app that worked perfectly!! Is that too much to ask?
    01-18-09 12:22 AM
    depends where i am at..i use google map and garmin all the time and they both take about 5-8 secs to lock..im on .210
    01-18-09 12:30 AM
    The GPS lock up time on my Bold is not as good as the Curve I had before. I tend to use the sat nav quite a bit and it can get really frustrating waiting for it to "acquire satellites" for an initial position fix. Sometimes it can happen within 30 seconds but much more often its two or three minutes, and even as long as five minutes.

I have also noticed with the Sat Nav the GPS accuracy is not so good either. If I am in a major built up area with lots of roads it sometimes all of a sudden thinks I'm on a different road than I actually am and throws in a totally stupid command. It usually does this when static sitting at lights or whatever and as soon as we start moving again it sorts itself out. Never used to do this on the Curve though.

I'm running .162 OS
    01-18-09 03:53 AM
    I've found that the GPS picks up pretty quick for me almost all of the time. The only time it takes a little longer is when I'm inside a building, however it still only takes about a minute at maximum.
    01-18-09 05:22 AM
    Google Maps was taking about 30 seconds on .216, but it's significant;y quicker with .219. Hope that helps.
    01-18-09 06:33 AM
    I didn't realise that the OS might be a factor in how efficiently the GPS functions but from this it sounds like it is.
    01-18-09 06:54 AM
    On 216 and my GPS picks up in around 10-15 secs so pretty damn quick...in fact last week i was on the train and opened up bbmaps to see if i could get a gps signal...within 30 secs it had locked onto me within a steel carriage...showed me where i was going...how many sats i had locked onto and the speed i was travelling at.....i just thought to myself how frickin awesome is that.

Dont really use googlemaps but it does take awhile for it to lock onto any sats but bbmaps is alot quicker for some odd reason...
    01-18-09 08:23 AM
    As far as I understand, the GPS is based upon location of the fixed cellular towers not the satellites.

If you are in a physical location where your phone can not connect with several towers then the resolution will be reduced and seeking time increased.

In New York City my home location is about 1/20 mile from the phone's GPS location.
    01-18-09 10:12 AM
    I remember it taking longer with the earlier beta builds and even back on stock .162.
    .216 was slow for me though.

I am on .219 now and it seems faster, but it could just be a placebo effect of having a newer OS.

They must have optimized the code that handles the GPS signals or something... (but it's hard to say without 'release notes', haha)
    01-18-09 10:13 AM
    With standalone GPS (Tower Assist OFF/ not available) it depends on:

Satellite visibility
    Warm start or cold start (might need to download the almanac and ephemeris)
    How far you moved since last fix (few miles is OK, intercontinental flight means new downloads)

If you're doing a true cold start without current almanac and ephemeris it could take upto 40 minutes. This is not a BlackBerry function, it's how long the satellite takes to transmit the data.
    01-18-09 11:14 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD